Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As you say, to each their own, but I don't believe a full hood is overkill. Kicked up road debris is not always cooperative - If a stone can hit the first few inches of the hood, there's still a chance for one to whack the the hood behind the bra (or the A pillars, fenders and bumper for that matter). I've had bras in the past and had hood chips beyond the film coverage. Based on the chips and pitting I already see in my windshield, that indicates to me rocks are managing to make it past the leading edge of the hood. Also, while the seam might be hard to see, it's there and some folks (like me) just don't want seams visible at all in the more obvious, larger areas like the hood and fenders. The only benefit I see to a bra vs. a complete hood is the cost. If one were to also pay for covering the doors, roof, rear fenders and full back with Xpel Ultimate, that would be overkill IMO. And would cost a whole bunch of dough.
Well, that is why I said to each their own. I just know from past experience, the partial hood has served me well for 8 years in a previous vehicle with no issues elsewhere on the hood. And the seam with the new Xpel is virtually unnoticeable. So much so that when he finished the install, and I was looking I was ready to tell him he forgot to do the partial hood.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice to hear you've been chip free for 8 years. Unfortunately, where I live, especially in the winter, rocks, gravel and such have not been as accommodating - they like to use the entire hood.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up using performix plasti dip, I was surprised at how well it worked, you can barely tell that the chip guard underneath the copious amounts of plasti dip layers is there it also evens itself out ridiculously well. Ill take pictures and post them sometime this week.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by new2audi2014
With yellowing issues aside, I haven't seen much discussion on how truly invisbile XPel Ultimate is, particularly on a white car. I'm taking delivery of a 2014 A6 (Glacier White) next week, and am debating Xpel Ultimate + Opti Coat vs just Opti Coat. I value the added protection, but I really don't want those visible lines when my car is less than perfectly clean.
I had the exact same issue of how Xpel would look on white car. I ordered the IBIS white have the full hoods and fenders, A column, door pockets, door edges and trunk area and it looks great you can not tell at all. There is only two areas that I see the Xpel line when it gets dirty, that is on the small piece that was put on my door edges to help prevent the kids from hitting other cars when they open the doors and the trunk loading area. With that said, I deal with it as the protection is worth it in my opinion.

The deciding factor for me to put on the a white car was seeing a family members car that had Xpel for over two years, I could not see the lines or any yellowing. The product has a 10 year guarantee and if you do not like it, you can always have it removed. I have had the product for 4 weeks now and I am very happy with it.