Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TDI update then NOX sensor throws a code

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

The dealers seem to be all over the place regarding their understanding of what is covered by the TDi warranty. Hopefully, AOA straightens them all out.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

That IS interesting. My quote of the emmisions warranty coverage came from page 21.
I never ask for a loaner. Two extra Audis to drive. BUT, if I ever need a Q7 while ours is being repaired, this could come in handy.
I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you discuss this with the dealer.
My dealer never has a loaner unless you book way in advance, another big problem. You get a CEL that you shouldn't drive with or some type of emergency and they can't give you a loaner...BS, and my dealer is far away from home. IMHO It does NOT matter if the repair is 3 hrs. or more if they can't get the car in for you to wait for it and have to keep the car overnight. Also if they keep the car for whatever reason like ordering a part, you should get a loaner, and it's supposed to be the same level of vehicle or above. I like the $40k part, I'll call AOA and the Diesel recall # before I leave tomorrow. My problem, that I have had many times in the past and present is that it's the closest dealer to me and my DW works right down the road. If you get angry, you lose the perks of being friendly with your dealership, I use their parts dept. too. We have had MANY issues with them over the years, starting in '06, if I posted what they were you would say I was crazy for going back....

Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My dealer gives me a loaner for any service, including my voluntary 5,000 mile interval oil change. They are great to deal with.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm delaying the update not because I think it will ruin the car, but because I'll get warranty coverage to 160k.

I expect to need a dpf replacement during that time and the extended warranty seems to now cover that too whereas we were on the hook for it prescandal.

If you can wait, it seems quite beneficial to do so.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I'm delaying the update not because I think it will ruin the car, but because I'll get warranty coverage to 160k.

I expect to need a dpf replacement during that time and the extended warranty seems to now cover that too whereas we were on the hook for it prescandal.

Unless something bad happens before you get the fix done. It’s a calculated risk. We drove our 2011 to 120,000 miles before we turned it in. Could’ve driven it nearly free depreciationwise for another year and a half but this 2015 became available and I decided to cut my risks.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

At my current rate I will have approximately 109k miles in April of 2020 and will also be covered until approx the same mileage. Having previously kept an Audi past the 120k mile mark I know how valuable the extended warranty may be.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Spoke to AOA and the TDI center about weather the NOX sensor is covered, neither one could give a definitive answer. They kept saying that the dealer contacts Audi to see if it's covered and to get approval. Fidelity does not see any cross coverage under any other warranty and is going to cover the cost, they said that they would see it if it was covered by Audi. There is also clause that says "a 3.9.7 The Extended Emissions Warranty shall not supersede or void any
outstanding warranty. To the extent there is a conflict in any provision(s) of this warranty
and any outstanding warranty, that conflict shall be resolved to the benefit of the
consumer."
They are taking that to mean that if there is ANY other warranty in place that would cover that repair, even if you paid for a separate insurance plan, extended warranty, the other warranty supersedes the diesel repair extended one. Not sure how an insurance company would feel about that. So basically it's up to the dealer who is handling the claim, she gave an example of the fact that the block is covered but only the dealer can decide if it was the diesel repair that caused the problem. If anyone has found proof that the NOX sensor is covered please post it to the forum.....Didn't get to my dealer yet because I'm waiting for a call back from Audi.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanket
Spoke to AOA and the TDI center about weather the NOX sensor is covered, neither one could give a definitive answer. They kept saying that the dealer contacts Audi to see if it's covered and to get approval. Fidelity does not see any cross coverage under any other warranty and is going to cover the cost, they said that they would see it if it was covered by Audi. There is also clause that says "a 3.9.7 The Extended Emissions Warranty shall not supersede or void any
outstanding warranty. To the extent there is a conflict in any provision(s) of this warranty
and any outstanding warranty, that conflict shall be resolved to the benefit of the
consumer."
They are taking that to mean that if there is ANY other warranty in place that would cover that repair, even if you paid for a separate insurance plan, extended warranty, the other warranty supersedes the diesel repair extended one. Not sure how an insurance company would feel about that. So basically it's up to the dealer who is handling the claim, she gave an example of the fact that the block is covered but only the dealer can decide if it was the diesel repair that caused the problem. If anyone has found proof that the NOX sensor is covered please post it to the forum.....Didn't get to my dealer yet because I'm waiting for a call back from Audi.
NOX is a byproduct of lean combustion which his common for diesel engines at low loading (e.g. idle). NOX is only produced as a result of combustion. NOX emissions are the reason that Audi has the dieselgate scandal. NOX sensor(s) is/are in the exhaust stream and is/are a primary feedback loop for DEF usage in the exhaust. Does Audi really not have a list of "emissions control systems" that are covered? Amazeballs.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

NOX is a byproduct of lean combustion which his common for diesel engines at low loading (e.g. idle). NOX is only produced as a result of combustion. NOX emissions are the reason that Audi has the dieselgate scandal. NOX sensor(s) is/are in the exhaust stream and is/are a primary feedback loop for DEF usage in the exhaust. Does Audi really not have a list of "emissions control systems" that are covered? Amazeballs.
Or, they are trying, as usual, to steer you to the dealers and to avoid giving any advice about service/problem issues. Years ago they would intercede for you, now they just steer you. You get a young girl telling you the long version of just about nothing. I'll keep trying...
Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

See booklet pages 7-8

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...WEBVERSION.pdf

Quick Reply: TDI update then NOX sensor throws a code