A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

RO: DRL issue - matrix led - 1/3 leds stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RO: DRL issue - matrix led - 1/3 leds stopped

Has anyone had issues with the DRL on a matrix led headlight? Still have 2/3 leds working on the DRL, the top one stopped suddenly

asking because, i m thinking, either the power module doesn t send energy to that led (which would be an easy fix/part exchange) or the led is burnt and I understood that the entire headlight needs to be dissambled and checked or headlight replaced entirely

If the second option is the case.. has anyone opened a matrix led headlight and had issues with that?

Old 08-09-2023, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't had the chance to look at the modules in the A6 yet but in my previous C class both modules/ballasts were interchangeable with the other side, if this is also the case in the A6 that might be the quickest and cheapest way to check what's wrong, though I'd imagine the whole thing is running off of one module so if only one strip isn't working then it's probably just that one fibre tube that's not working and you'll need to dismantle the headlight to get it fixed.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PaulR7
I haven't had the chance to look at the modules in the A6 yet but in my previous C class both modules/ballasts were interchangeable with the other side, if this is also the case in the A6 that might be the quickest and cheapest way to check what's wrong, though I'd imagine the whole thing is running off of one module so if only one strip isn't working then it's probably just that one fibre tube that's not working and you'll need to dismantle the headlight to get it fixed.
that s the plan, but wanted to prepare for the worst since I will dissamble the front bumper
Old 08-13-2023, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

As far as I know there are no user serviceable parts inside the headlight unit and it is not intended to take apart. See post 580 in this thread https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/thr...9#post-5844183) for some idea of what you are up against if you try to do it. Think finding a secondhand one on eBay or at a breakers may be your best bet
The following users liked this post:
bbo139 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John Simcox
As far as I know there are no user serviceable parts inside the headlight unit and it is not intended to take apart. See post 580 in this thread https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/thr...9#post-5844183) for some idea of what you are up against if you try to do it. Think finding a secondhand one on eBay or at a breakers may be your best bet
still seems like bad engineering from audi if they didn t leave the option available to easily change a burnt DRL led..
Old 08-14-2023, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bbo139
still seems like bad engineering from audi if they didn t leave the option available to easily change a burnt DRL led..
Presume it would have been more expensive to make a unit that could be dismantled and also remain watertight and LED's don't fail do they ……….. Think the bean counters won the day.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Presume it would have been more expensive to make a unit that could be dismantled and also remain watertight and LED's don't fail do they ……….. Think the bean counters won the day.
now I m thinking if this could go further..
In the Manual of the car they stated (without any * or additional specifications to the warranty): "Your vehicle is equipped with maintenance-free headlights and tail lights. However, if a light bulb needs to be replaced, please contact an authorized Audi dealer or authorized Audi Service Facility."

So basically, if the LED for the DRL is inside the headlight (and can't be exchanged as a module/bulb) and the entire headlight now requires maintenance then there statement is falsely advertised.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bbo139
now I m thinking if this could go further..
In the Manual of the car they stated (without any * or additional specifications to the warranty): "Your vehicle is equipped with maintenance-free headlights and tail lights. However, if a light bulb needs to be replaced, please contact an authorized Audi dealer or authorized Audi Service Facility."

So basically, if the LED for the DRL is inside the headlight (and can't be exchanged as a module/bulb) and the entire headlight now requires maintenance then there statement is falsely advertised.
Not sure of your point. They are saying the unit is maintenance free and that is true. They follow that up with saying that if a bulb fails contact the dealer. What they don't say is that the dealer's only response to the issue will be to replace the unit, at a significant cost if the car is out of warranty.