A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Are Audi buyers/owners uniquely cheap, tight-asses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 12:02 PM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was thinking about it, but Dont know what I'll do there??

I could be mowing my lawn or something constructive (or destructive ) like that. Does that mean I have to wash the car too??!! LOL
Man you see that price for the Supersprint Geez and they were saying ~1400 for the system now its 2k!! Without shipping and install!! And its under the rear valance. Too much for this cheap, tight -*** old man! LOL

You going to AMS in the Green Hornet(yuk yuk) ??
We should Gtech this stock Tip out my way before that person gets some doritos put on next week. Get a good baseline with another driver.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I do live in the SF Bay area and bought on the peninsula during the peak...

4.2 period when there were at most 1 4.2 on anyone's lot.
I agree with the over MSRP stuff. I won't do it, just for the principle, even if I'm dying for the car.
BTW: I got a fair deal (although could be considerably cheaper now) $3k off MSRP, $2500 over invoice. It was fair to me and the people at the dealership who helped me. I told the manager at the other dealership to stick it up his ***, who called me more than a week later (after I walked out on their bull**** offer on a USED 160 mile AoA car for $3k over invoice) and offered $2k over, but moreover, he had been incredibly rude and condescending.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the people (like me) who go after a lower and lower price...

Are either more informed buyers, or just not of the same mentality as BMW or MB buyers, who expect to pay what is being asked for a car; new or used. With Audi, if you know you <b>can</b> get a better price, or an even better price, then why not hold out for that price? In my past two <b>used</b> Audi buying experiences, I saw that I could get good cars at a price I felt comfortable paying, considering things like market conditions and Audi's resale value. It's not really that I was being cheap, but rather looked at the purchase on paper and determined what I could pay for the purchase to make financial sense. Fortunately, in both cases I was able to get the cars for about $1,000-$2,000 over what I <i>would have liked</i> to pay.

This, BTW, is coming from a buyer's perspective with no real thought about what it means to the salespeople I haggle.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing, if that's what you want to be...not a judgement, just a description...

Not that I care too much what people think of me...but a tight-***, penny-pinching, cheap-skate is not a term I'd like to have pinned on me.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guilty..... with an explanation(and proud of it).

First of all I'm a 56 yr old Jewish CFO, negotiation is in the gene pool - and I'm damn good at it, having been told I can "talk the fishes out of the water" by one of my former bosses.
Second, I've been dealing with the same dealership for 15 years and have purchased 3 cars in that time (two in 18 months)for predefined $'s over cost, and have received many many no cost cosmetic extras thrown into the deal w/o asking for a freebee.
What have I done in return? I've convinced so many of my friends and business associates to reconsider their car and dealer choices that the dealership actually uses me as a referral for new, but unsure customers.

Hey Finman - WHAT"S THAT WORTH??

Regards,
Rick(the tight Sphincter)Pardo
Old 08-10-2001, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I agree, it's just the dicking around for a couple hundred bucks seems lame
Old 08-10-2001, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

So, you pay them back in another way. That's fine.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

The dealer term is a "mooch."
Old 08-10-2001, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i might stop by to check it out...
Old 08-10-2001, 12:21 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default I give bottles of wine???!!! Does that count any!! LOL.

Man I have probably become the number 1 supplier of spirits(wine) to the Audi service people at the dealer!! And an occasional Soobee or Red Bull to the mechanics.
I hang my head in shame and say(while scuffing the dirt with my shoe)I am a cheap-***,(scuff, scuff)but Hopefully I have overcome some of my cheap-*** ways !!!!

Quick Reply: Are Audi buyers/owners uniquely cheap, tight-asses?