A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Basic 2.8 Engine Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic 2.8 Engine Diagram

Hi everyone. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a basic diagram of the 2.8 engine, to no avail. There was one posting on here years ago but the image is gone.

Could someone help me out and identify the hoses/parts I've highlighted in yellow and magenta? I am an engine newbie. Please feel free to chastise me/point me in the right direction if there is a diagram labeling each of the basic visible hoses and parts already posted somewhere.

This is a 99 2.8l 30v quattro.

I can't fork out $200 for Bentley guide
Attached Images  

Last edited by Zedo; 06-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am deducing that the yellow is the crank case breather hose. Anyone able to confirm that?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes. Yellow is breather, magenta is power steering.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Yes. Yellow is breather, magenta is power steering.
Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions on crankcase breather replacement? I see this one http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-....8L/ES2215417/ - on sale right now. Blauparts has a more complete kit with evap valve for like $170... ugh.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

I applaud you for coming here to get help, however you have to understand owning tbese cars requires investment of dollars. If your qoing to say you cant afford this or that or even a manual, then i would reconsider keeping this car.

I know stuff sounds expensive but thats what it takes to keep these machines running.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
I applaud you for coming here to get help, however you have to understand owning tbese cars requires investment of dollars. If your qoing to say you cant afford this or that or even a manual, then i would reconsider keeping this car.

I know stuff sounds expensive but thats what it takes to keep these machines running.
This is my 3rd Audi in 5 years, including another A6 (that one was a 2.7t 6spd) and an S4. This particular car has been in the family since it was purchased almost new from the dealer in 2000. Believe me, I am familiar with the running costs. I am just trying to learn more about the mechanics myself, partially out of my own interest and partially due to business reaching epic low cashflow. Perhaps I'll buy the Bentley guide at some point, but right now I'm looking to tackle a simpler problem that has cropped up and just want to learn the basics, not perform a TB change myself in the street (I live in apt in the city... no garage full of tools, only basics).

That's why I'd love to see some of the more fundamental diagrams of the basics of this particular engine and car. It seems hard to find anything in between extremely technical and a stick figure drawing in the owner's manual. Yes, I am also aware that these are Audis and they don't have as much "in between" as some other vehicles.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Zedo; 06-26-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually just got done replacing the breather hoses and valves for the first time myself. I thought about going with the Blau kit but was able to piece together everything (hoses and valves) from ECS for a little cheaper. I picked up reusable hose clamps from Autozone - FYI, the one time use clamps can be a PITA. If you do get the kit and not just the longer hose, the smaller hose and valves are in the rear of the engine and can be difficult to get to. I took the intake elbow off to get easier access and cleaned what I could off the throttle body since it was available. I'm a newb to Audis too but I highly suggest getting the Bentley manual. I was able to change TB and seals with the info in the manual and the helpful people here. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds like a shorted diode in your rectifier , most other things would blow a fuse at that current., disconnect the red wire from your alternator .i think the same wire goes to your starter in series so you may be able to disconnect there also .

Good luck ..
Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
sounds like a shorted diode in your rectifier , most other things would blow a fuse at that current., disconnect the red wire from your alternator .i think the same wire goes to your starter in series so you may be able to disconnect there also .

Good luck ..
EZ to check for shorted diode...have a large AC component in your alternator output (can be picked off at the battery). You'll need a graphing multimeter or an oscilloscope or a black box charging system detector that will indicate via idiot lights a bad rectifier, etc.

I like the graphing multimeter...it's also very good at diagnosing lazy 02 sensors...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zedo
....I can't fork out $200 for Bentley guide
FYI Closer to $80 if that would help. Well worth it if you intend to do your own work.... like most of us on here...;-)

http://www.bimmerzone.com/Audi_Servi.../BNT-AC55.html

Cheers
Massboykie

Quick Reply: Basic 2.8 Engine Diagram