A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I stripped the bolt head T27 on transmission pan. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I stripped the bolt head T27 on transmission pan. Advice?

Hello Audi fans!
Once again I found some problems for myself.. I decided to perform transmission fluid and filter change. I got everything ready, all the tools, stands etc. But while I was removing torx 27 bolts holding transmission pan I stripped couple of those bolts because I think they were over-torqued last time Audi shop was doing so. I then tried to hammer T30 socket in and got luck to unscrew only one of them, the other is still there. Any suggestions how to get this bolt out? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I just turn them out with a chisel.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems that everytime I touch a car, there is a bolt that strips or won't turn at all (and then usually becomes stripped because of this), or some part that seizes.

I highly recommend you buy the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Hanson-V.../dp/B0025D4LP0

You will notice that this is just HALF the kit. If you scroll down the page, there is a second set that is the other half without the case. One is metric, the other SAE.

These things make life so much easier. They work so well, I have used them to remove the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the turbo when I was worried about stripping the interior removing them. In other words, on a lot of audi's "interior" bolts, I use these instead so that I can protect the head from stripping.

With the transmission bolts, there may not be enough clearance to get it over the bolt because of the lip on the transmission pan, but I think there might be.

Otherwise, the chisel is your next best bet.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys! Going to buy this set today at advance auto parts, hope this will work!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck...like I said, my only real concern on this is the lip around the transmission pan. I think it will work. If it does not work, the set is still worth the money...it will save you a lot of headache in the future, guaranteed. I've popped stripped bolts out in 2 minutes that I would have spent hours on without it.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The set worked like a miracle! I took them out in less than 2 minutes. And I finally changed the filter and atf. Once again, thanx for your help!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by facer
Hello Audi fans!
Once again I found some problems for myself.. I decided to perform transmission fluid and filter change. I got everything ready, all the tools, stands etc. But while I was removing torx 27 bolts holding transmission pan I stripped couple of those bolts because I think they were over-torqued last time Audi shop was doing so. I then tried to hammer T30 socket in and got luck to unscrew only one of them, the other is still there. Any suggestions how to get this bolt out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey just wanted to give some more input for anyone reading these:

I have a b6 2002 a4 1.8t tiptronic. Some general stuff that's probably the same: About taking the screws off, spray penetrating
oil"><span style=oil" /> oil">oil
on the heads and the opposite end of the screw(MAKE SURE YOU LET It SOAK IN FOR A WHILE). The screws stick out of the hole on the top side. This leaves it exposed and causes rust and it's the worst there since it actually gets into the threads, making it extremely tight. I stripped one of mine, ended up using a screw extractor, but even that wouldn't have worked without penetrating oil(I used liquid wrench). Use the plastic tube from a bottle of penetrating spray to get to the top side of the screw. I ended up spraying excess so the oil would flow onto the threads since it was such a tight space. It makes a whole world of difference. I actually ended up stripping it with the screw extractor too before adding penetrating oil and had to move up a size on it, penetrant on the right spot was the only thing it needed. And if you strip it with t27, hammer in a t30. Also, you might need impact bits. My screws were so tight that my bits broke and the screw was still intact. I ended up buying an impact rated torx set from autozone, about $14, well worth it.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Craftsman also has these. I have a set that I have used quite a bit. Have used them on my Harley as well. They work really well with an "old school" impact driver. (if you're over the age of 50 and still turning wrenches, you know what that is.)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

use a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut a straight slot through the middle on the head of the bolt deep enough but to not go too deep.then use a large flat head bit to remove the bolt. quick and easy.