A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I'm really getting tired of dealing with Discount tire. Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm really getting tired of dealing with Discount tire. Rant

Decided to get the summer tires put on today. SP9000's that have maybe 4k on them.

I asked them to please road-force balance these because the car is extremely sensitive to out of balance tires.

Guy1, "Sure, NP."

15 minutes later while I'm getting a price on new tires for my truck (getting ready to drop $800+)...

Guy2. "Road force is useless because they're feathered. The machine will report a defective tire."

Me, "Why are they feathered already?"

"Too many miles, improper pressure, no rotation."

"You guys put them on 4k before the winters went on AND left 50-60 mounting psi in two of them, what is the correct pressure?" (I had 34/37 in them)

"him-haw, well that depends on the door sticker."

"But they're not OEM tires. What pressure would cause feathering?" No answer.

"OK, what if they vibrate after you balance."

"Put on 1,500 miles and bring it back in."

"And if they're still feathered?"

"we'll rotate them again."

"and then?"

"I don't know."

Whatever, I get a quote on some new tires for my truck and go meet a friend for lunch nearby.

One hour later. I look at the car as I'm walking back and the wheels clearly have been thrashed about on the mounting machine.

Guy1, "What can I do for you?"

Me, politely, "Please ask your guys to stop scratching my wheels."

"Let's go look." "Yup, looks scratched."

Guy3, "looks like the ?? mounting head scratched them, let me see of it comes off."

Guy4, "There, it's just dirt/tire spooge, etc."

Me, "No, there are clearly scratches all the way around the edge."

"I don't see any, can't drag my nail on anything, the paint is different color"

"This one wheel was fixed once before, the metal polish you just used on my PAINTED wheels took it off. They're visibly scratched."

... argument goes on for some time about whether the wheels are scratched or not. I point out where the existing chips are and state that I know they're not perfect, but every time I bring the car there, they beat the wheels up more and more with the wheel machine.

Guy4 must be freakin blind. He is clearly trying to avoid a costly repair. He finally asks what I want him to do about it as he doesn't see where they're scratched. I let them know that I don't even want them fixed, they're almost 3 years old, are destined to be winter wheels if I can ever scratch up the coin to buy some RS4 reps and all they had to do was admit they farked up the wheels and apologize. I let him know I've bought tires from them for 12 years, and depending on his response, may or may not do so in the future. He offers to refund the $60 mounting charge, I take him up on it and then go away, visibly pissed off.

Check the pressure on the newly mounted tires, 40psi front/37 rear. <rolls eyes>

I'm just so friggin fed up with these jokers.

Rant off.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 PM

I am totally shocked, which Discount is this?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default E Arapahoe.

My son used to work there, but all his buds are now gone so I'm just another schmuck even though I've bought all but one set of tires (my M2's, when son was with Firestone) from them over the last 12 years. That includes a small company car fleet. They also don't appear to give a rat's behind if you drive a $50k car in there. OK, maybe it's not worth that now :-(

I'm taking the smoking price they gave me on my truck tires and going to the E Lincoln or E County Line store. Same company, but I won't have to deal with the same morons and they really can't jack up a set of chrome over steel wheels. I might just online order the freakin things and have Big-O mount them.

I'm also getting tired of their "Radio Shack" style wheel sell every time you walk in the door. Effing RS, they don't have any RADIO'S anymore but want to sell you a cell phone when you go in for a simple DIY electronic part - that they should carry but will likely not have. Last time I was in there for something, they didn't have the di-electric grease I needed. Arrgghhh. Guess we just blame that one on our throw-away society.

Glad your wheel dilemma worked out, sounds like they treated you much better.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Fear the Miata!

Default that suxs....the guys here in chi-town are pros...brought them my oem rs 6 wheels and not a scratch

on any of them.......or any other wheels i've brought to them.....sorry you're getting your blood pressure up...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:32 AM

Default definetly try a different discount, for reference, I know it's a drive but.........

if you want try the store on 104th and Colo., ask for Rich or ED, tell them Eric sent you and they will definetly take care of you. If nothing else, they won't BS you about the problem. I think some of the Discount stores are opening too fast, the one on 120th sucked when it first opened, now it's supposed to be pretty decent.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd, I'd recommend the one at Jewell & Kipling, but it burned & got leveled.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: I'm really getting tired of dealing with Discount tire. Rant

Hey, I live in California now, but used to live in Denver for some 17 years. I used to go to the Tire Discount on south Colorado (colorado and evans). Been there probably 5 times myself and referred a dozen or so more of my freinds. They're awesom. Hope that helps.