A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Leather Maintenance and other Cold Weather Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Maintenance and other Cold Weather Problem

Someone must have had a sharp object in their pocket and cut the surface of my seat. Only the first layer (the color) was cut. It did not go all the way through. Any ideas short of replacement. I though I would hit it with a leather treatment and see how it looks. It is one of those things that only I as an owner would notice.

Also, with extemely cold weather, so overnight in the teens, there is an acceleration hesitation for the first few minutes. The dealer cannot locate any problem. It is OK if the overnight does not drop below 30.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 01-13-2001, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Leather Maintenance and other Cold Weather Problem

Can't offer a suggestion for your leather. The cold running problems sound similar to what quite a few 2.7T owners have described. Sever cold running problems have been fixed in a couple of cases by replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor (Part # 078-919-501-C). Most dealers don't seem to have a very good handle on this. I know it's easy for me to say, but if I had this problem to the degree you describe I'd probably just let the car warm up a bit before trying to drive more aggressively.
Old 01-13-2001, 04:42 PM

<I>Also, with extemely cold weather, so overnight in the teens, there is an acceleration hesitation for the first few minutes</I>

There should be - the driver should be the one hesitating. Until the oil's warm, accelerating with any vigor is not a good plan; it's causing wear on your turbos. Wait until the oil is coming up to temp before really using your right foot.

This should not take long. We've been seeing lows in the single digits and the oil temps come up in a mile or two; one of the nice things about this car - it warms up FAST.

Greg
Old 01-13-2001, 04:53 PM
Elder Member

Default Try www.leatherique.com

I have no affiliation, but Leatherique is THE best leather treatment product line I've seen. I use the Prestine Clean and the Rejuvenator Oil.

Check out their site and email George, the owner: he knows auto leather and may have some advice for you. Look at the photos of some of the leather restoration/rejuvenation that their stuff has managed on some old crusty leather: George will know if any of the products can help your situation.
Old 01-15-2001, 07:05 AM

Please understand what the problem is. I too have the same cold weather problem and it's NOT because we accelerate too rapidly before the car warms up. Even when just sitting letting the car warm up the idle comes and goes, which would appear as hesitation if moving. I was told by my Audi mechanic that the idle control chip on some of them (in the 2.7T's) is faulty and in cold weather this happens. Audi AG is aware of it and is working on a fix. Until then; 1) let the car warm up before going anywhere, 2) look into the suggestion that someone else had in this forum about a coolant sensor (I am taking my 2000 2.7T in tomorrow, Jan 16 for it's 1 year tune up so I'll ask), or 3) I was told that if you run it on regular fuel (rather than premium) this won't happen (the mechanic did not have an explanation, but said this is what Audi AG was recommending, although I won't do this because my engine starts to knock immediately).

So, in short, Audi is aware of this (it is NOT a driver error) and I will find out if my service department thinks the coolant sensor might be a good place to start.

But my, what a car!!!
Old 01-15-2001, 07:08 AM

Please don't be condiscending. Has nothing to do with driver. Happens when warming up too, not related to heavy foot.
Old 01-18-2001, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the help, I usually let the car warm up for about 5 min if below 25, but still some hesitation when I first pull out. It has been a but warmer this week, so no problems noticed.