A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power Steering Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a small filter at the bottom of the reservoir. Metal type that I do not believe is changeable. You have to drain the fluid and remove the reservoir to clean it out. Assuming correct Audi fluid was used you can remove with a turkey blaster type suction and reuse if still clean. Mine was making a growling sound and technician thought it was a leaking hose which he replaced. Still growled. Eventually took out the pump. Still growled. Searched this forum and found out about the clogged filter. We replaced the reservoir and it went away. Could have just cleaned the filter and saved all that work and expense. Although the pump and hose was quite years old and maybe ready for new ones.

Could also be a failing hose. The one that goes into the pump is a common old Audi fail.

See if the belt belt has any play in it. Push down between the pulleys where it has the most space between. Belt should only deflect a small amount. You can search the archives for a spec. Also, if a pulley is failing it might be causing the belt to slip. Or if there is fluid or oil that has dropped onto the belt making it slip.

Just figure it it out before it causes you to lose the pump.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
There is a small filter at the bottom of the reservoir. Metal type that I do not believe is changeable. You have to drain the fluid and remove the reservoir to clean it out. Assuming correct Audi fluid was used you can remove with a turkey blaster type suction and reuse if still clean. Mine was making a growling sound and technician thought it was a leaking hose which he replaced. Still growled. Eventually took out the pump. Still growled. Searched this forum and found out about the clogged filter. We replaced the reservoir and it went away. Could have just cleaned the filter and saved all that work and expense. Although the pump and hose was quite years old and maybe ready for new ones.

Could also be a failing hose. The one that goes into the pump is a common old Audi fail.

See if the belt belt has any play in it. Push down between the pulleys where it has the most space between. Belt should only deflect a small amount. You can search the archives for a spec. Also, if a pulley is failing it might be causing the belt to slip. Or if there is fluid or oil that has dropped onto the belt making it slip.

Again, thank you for your time and expertise. I will try to sort our the checks that you recommend and revert.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy

Could you kindly also help me find a link to the correct denomination of the official Audi part number for the fluid? Audi S6 sedan year 2000. I cannot find the exact Audi part number...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S. Expensive and no alternates.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S. Expensive and no alternates.
I was hoping to buy the official Audi branded fluid to avoid risks... but I cannot find the Audi part number.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1
I was hoping to buy the official Audi branded fluid to avoid risks... but I cannot find the Audi part number.
G004000M2
Old 08-23-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't know your location but the product (Pentosin CHF 11S) is available at a lot of auto parts stores and readily available on line.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@ uberwagn, Harleyguy and georgeb944,

Thank you for the advice. I found the original OEM WV/Audi part G004000M2 at GBP11.39 for 1 lt and it seems a reasonable price (unless it is the wrong part): https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oen...g004000m2.html

How many litres do I need to flush and refil the entire system? I will follow the steer full left/right, refil, recheck and steer again left/right procedure described in this forum. I will also follw the advice given here and try to clean the filter and check the belt (I hope that I can find it).

By the way, I hear another very weird noise, a whine, that follows the engine revs. It is a different problem from the power steering noise and I posted the question here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...noise-2956113/ I would really appreciate anyone who could help me.

Again, thank you for your time and expertise that I greatly appreciate.

Tommaso
Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1
How many litres do I need to flush and refil the entire system? I will follow the steer full left/right, refil, recheck and steer again left/right procedure described in this forum. I will also follw the advice given here and try to clean the filter and check the belt (I hope that I can find it).

Tommaso
According to the service manual, the power steering system holds 0.85 liters.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not doubting the manual but went through at least two before the fluid looked clean.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Squealing