A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replacing door lock latch mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing door lock latch mechanism

Hello.

I am in the process of ordering a new door lock latch mechanism for my A6, since the passenger front door someetimes mailfunction when opening it with the remote, and also the microswitch that detects if door is open or not is not working anymore.

What is the easiest way of replacing it ? Do I have to remove the window frame ? How is it attached to the door / lock ?

Thanks for all answers.

Vegard
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nobody have any clues for me, or a page from some service manual or something to push me in the right direction ?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie123
Nobody have any clues for me, or a page from some service manual or something to push me in the right direction ?
My search on Google "Audi A6 C5 door latch removal" gave me a plethora of youtube videos and several audiworld articles.

STFA... then ask the question....
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I have been doing the search as you described, but I can only find explanations for the DRIVERS side, not the passenger side. To me it looks like the drivers side is much more complicated to remove than the passenger side, due to the presence of the lock cylinder, but I could be wrong.

Thats why I asked for help here.

Originally Posted by georgeb944
My search on Google "Audi A6 C5 door latch removal" gave me a plethora of youtube videos and several audiworld articles.

STFA... then ask the question....
Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

use the drivers side guide , its the same .. the door lock cylinder is a very minor step you will be able to skip.

but since you will have the window regulator out would be a great time to upgrade to the pink slider clips since you are 99% of the way there.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice.

I have already replaced the sliders, didnt get the upgraded once, tho, since I already had some donor sliders from another car. But will look into getting a new pair just in case.

Originally Posted by Airbag
use the drivers side guide , its the same .. the door lock cylinder is a very minor step you will be able to skip.

but since you will have the window regulator out would be a great time to upgrade to the pink slider clips since you are 99% of the way there.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you have had the regulator out in the past you are no stranger to this , you will be done in an hour ;0
Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was hoping maybe you could replace the latch mechanism wothout removing the innards of the door ?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie123
I was hoping maybe you could replace the latch mechanism wothout removing the innards of the door ?
Nope. Must pull the door panel to get access to the lock mechanism.

I've done DS on my car & now awaiting PS to replace it. I've had intermitant problem where latch won't release from inside or outside handles. Not good, can't open the door. Finally lucked out & got door open after manny tries. It appears the the latch hook, that pivots when it engages the jab bar, gets worn by contact with the microswitch button. When handle pulled, friction from the microswitch button doesn't let the latch pivot, & door doesn't unlatch. The button wore a groove into the rubber coating of the latch hook & gets hung up there.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CRuby
Nope. Must pull the door panel to get access to the lock mechanism.

I've done DS on my car & now awaiting PS to replace it. I've had intermitant problem where latch won't release from inside or outside handles. Not good, can't open the door. Finally lucked out & got door open after manny tries. It appears the the latch hook, that pivots when it engages the jab bar, gets worn by contact with the microswitch button. When handle pulled, friction from the microswitch button doesn't let the latch pivot, & door doesn't unlatch. The button wore a groove into the rubber coating of the latch hook & gets hung up there.
yup reaplacement time ..
its a part used in an application it was not designed for , and also these crs are lasting a long time so unusual parts are starting to wear out ...

the microswitch is "push" action switch , but Audi activates it in a " rolling motion" with a cam , this wears out the switch or cam plate ..