A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Vibration update after the road force balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mitch best of luck....

I think that we all (S6 Lemon Law United)loved the car enough to live with it, then one day it really started to irk me that I had given AoA a good chunk of change for the right to drive my vibrator.

If their techs, or CSR's would have treated me honestly and attempted some creative possible solutions it may have been a different story.

All I kept getting back from AoA was it is a "road imperfection". Oh well I know that some would agree with AoA that all roads in NJ are imperfect, but that is another discussion.

The best of luck to you.....
Old 03-31-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you are mentioning S6 only? Not an A6 problem?

Shoot, I remember your warning before I bought the car but had no idea it was so widespread. Now I'm borderline with buyers remorse and the wife has actually noticed it! And she has no idea of this problem. It's very frustrating to say the least and I want the dealership to acknowledge it and provide me with some real feedback and possible causes/solutions. I absolutely hate being kicked out of the door with "uh, no problem found" because I know better. There is a problem here.

Road imperfections. Damn, if someone would have told me that they'd have gotten a black eye!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some A6 have complained about vibrations...

but the S6 guys kept pretty tight with email regarding different options, both technical and legal. Most of this was done off audiworld due to AoA lurking but never providing productive feedback, other then...well on Audiworld you stated.....

Best of luck, if you are going the down the legal road remember this document everything and find a legal professional that deals with Auto claims full time. You will win in the end, but the end is far away.....
Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go back and get the results of the road force balance...

The figure needed is not the wheel weight amount but another figure unique to the machine.
Several owners have been able to eliminate their balance problem by having the road force done to perfection.
I don't remember the figure but IIRC it is something like less than 10lbs of force per wheel is acceptable on an Audi.
Hopefully someone else will jump in here!

The C5 chassis (not S6 specific) is very sensitive to vibration and a perfect road force balance has eliminated this problem.

These cars can sometimes require extra effort.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:45 PM

I'd love to hear what the real story is/was... e-mail me if you can, thx
Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Damn it I wish I'd have known this - possibly just wasted $80! I'm assuming that the 10lbs

of force per wheel is referring to the machine exerting less than 10lbs of force during the balancing procedure? I was surprised when they said that only two wheels were less than 1oz out. I did notice that it was slightly improved too which amazed me since 1oz is puny. I'll give the shop a call now...
Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, that's correct.

I can't stress enough about getting a qualified shop to do it right. There has to be a top alignment/frame road force shop in Portland/Vancouver that has the capabilities to do it at the next level.
You won't be wasting your time or money if it makes the problem go away.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed....

I was going to say that the $80.00 you spent is close to what some of the better shops in this area charge per wheel. A hunter 9700 in the hands of a Moron, is not what you are looking for, you also may want to ask the last time their 9700 was calibrated.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: I have the exact same problem on my 4.2

Had his vibration issue on my new 03 4.2 sportsetup, did not have this problem on the 2000 4.2 I traded. A complex issue, some cars have this problem some not. Audi dealer will blame tires wheels whatever but not the inherent problem which points to some design flaw. Audi did somewhat resolve the issue, replaced the disks, did not help then replaced the driveshafts this did help. I have found the sport suspension to be quite sensitive to tire pressure and keep them at 38psi. Also the tire, now I have snows but will put the summer tire backon soon, GY EAG F1GS-D3 255/40R17. This tire does not seem to balaned well and will replace, not sure with what. Before the Audi I had a WRX and a VR4 but I must say the V8 and the sportseat setup makes the car a joy to drive. sometimes I think I need more power till I floor the thing and take of. I did call Audi public relations and they did help. Keep after them. Good luck.