A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Yet another newby thread about changing transmission fluid. Sorry, guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah the joys of foreign car forums

Reminds me of when I owned that old Mercedes 300TD. If I even breached the topic of finding a reasonable alternative to some "proper" gasket or fluid that cost nearly as much as I paid for the damn car, I got all kinds of flak. Some people don't understand that there are poor people out there. Or for that matter, people that are irked at having to pay vintage wine prices for a fluid that is probably identical or even inferior to something that doesn't happen to say "audi" on it.

Anyway, the reason why I was in a hurry to change the fluid is because I in fact respect the car and did not want to keep driving it and blow the tranny. But she doesn't seem to be getting any worse, so I went ahead and ordered the $120 kit that Mr. Huskerbob recommended. Thanks for the good advice, kind sir. It is appreciated. :-)
Old 02-07-2014, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That pentosin fluid is, while pricey, still a lot cheaper than the precious elixir at the dealership. Try $30 per quart!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great! Now get the thing up on 4 jack stands so it's level. Pull the drain plug and then remove the pan. Careful on those bolts so as not to strip any of them. You will get a few extras with the kit just in case. Watch out, it will have lots of fluid in it and you'll spill it on the floor. Replace the filter and then carefully replace the gasket. Don't use any goop on the gasket. Maybe a little gasket tack to keep it in place. Fill it per the instructions that come with your Blau kit.

If you make that extension and hook for the fluid pump you can sit out from under and pump the new stuff in much easier than laying on your back under the car. To make the hook get some 'L' copper tubing (AC copper) and fill it with fine sand, crimp both ends and then you can bend it carefully by hand to the desired shape. Cut off the crimps and drain the sand and flush it well. Get some clear tubing that fits and you're all set. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My instructor mention best place to go good parts is rockauto.com and i think bleu or something like that has good quality and alil cheaper if you want to wait for parts dependin on what it is napa and carquest are price worth it.. i got my trani fluid from carquest and my kit from napa wasnt impressed with the napa kit lacked the seals n didnt come with extra bolts but i managed one thing to make sure is all the seals from the filter are out of the vavle body mine had two... make sure to run your engine two or three time after toping off the pan the first time pump while running till fluid comes out make sure car isnt running cold as well and you should b good my audi took a little over six quarts if its under id make sure to run the car and fill again.... as for the pump got a cheapy at autozone worked fine but they are cheaper at oreilys so make sure your u r gettin the same equipment for the cheapeat price
Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SevaA6
That pentosin fluid is, while pricey, still a lot cheaper than the precious elixir at the dealership. Try $30 per quart!
Some people have used amsoil ATF. (ATFQT) Check the ZF spec for your car but Amsoil says it meets it. $110 for 2.5 gallon container…10 quarts. Or $11.50 per quart.

OTOH, $120 for filter, gasket, and 6 quarts of Ravenol's ATF isn't bad at all…get the extra quart, it takes 6.5quarts from what I've read.

Fair disclosure…lifetime amsoil dealer.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SevaA6
Well said. Pentosin makes lots of OEM fluids for Audi and is great stuff. Pentosin does not make any crap. MANY of the fluids you buy from Audi are from Pentosin, just rebranded and relabled in fancy white Audi containers, with a 50% markup of course.

You can make Audi ownership must less expensive by research. Buying OEM parts from the original makers for half of the Audi dealers price. Lots of good places: RM European, Pelican, Autohauz. EG: the OEM Belgium made coolant sensor for a C5 2.7t (and others) is $12 at parts places; $30 at Audi. Exact same part. Some of the OEM suppliers even have to dremel off the Audi logo!

Lastly, some of us get a little pissy because Audis do not do well with making it up or screwing around. They are precision machines. You can pour anything into a 1999 Suburban, and it will be fine. Use the wrong fluid or part on Audi, and you are SOL. ASK ME HOW I KNOW?