A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

01590 Ignitor for Battery disonnect @006 C6 A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Audiholic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 01590 Ignitor for Battery disonnect @006 C6 A6

Does anyone out there have experience with code 01590 and the Battery disconnect ignitor, component code N253, For exceeding upper limit. VAG reset only results in an immediate MIL for the Air Bag. The N253 is located in a small component located in the spare tire Wheel Well, right next to the battery. The battery cables are also routed thru it. I've been driving only Audi's since 1975, and thought I'd seen most of the issues that come up but this one has me at a loss. What is this component; what does it do (besides enable an air bag MIL), and can the ignitor, located in the item next to the battery be individually replaced?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecgarzone
Does anyone out there have experience with code 01590 and the Battery disconnect ignitor, component code N253, For exceeding upper limit. VAG reset only results in an immediate MIL for the Air Bag. The N253 is located in a small component located in the spare tire Wheel Well, right next to the battery. The battery cables are also routed thru it. I've been driving only Audi's since 1975, and thought I'd seen most of the issues that come up but this one has me at a loss. What is this component; what does it do (besides enable an air bag MIL), and can the ignitor, located in the item next to the battery be individually replaced?
AFAIK, the ignitor disconnects the battery cable in an accident to prevent electrical shorts. It's monitored by the airbag module, and since it has a DTC, something it sees is not right with the N253 ignitor or wiring going to it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing battery isolation igniter -N253- (vehicles from approx. 07.2004 onwards)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>Battery isolation igniter -N253- must be renewed if defective or if it has been triggered.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing retainer for battery cut-off relay -J655- or battery isolation igniter -N253-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Removing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-liste-erster einzug-standard hinweis-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>All cable ties which are released or cut open when removing must be fitted in the same position when installing.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove battery

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Release the catches -arrows- and open the flap -1-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Vehicles up to approx. 06.2004:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unscrew nuts -1- and -3- at positive cables.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Detach the battery cut-off relay -J655--item 2- from the retainer.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="cc abstand-liste-erster einzug-standard hinweis-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>Disregard -item 4-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Vehicles from approx. 07.2004:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unscrew nuts -1- and -3- at positive cables.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Detach the battery isolation igniter -N253--item 2- from the retainer.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-liste-erster einzug-standard hinweis-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>Disregard -item 4- and -item 5-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>All models:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unscrew nuts -3- and -4-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Cut through cable tie -1- and detach the retainer -2- from the body.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Installing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>Installation is carried out in the reverse order; </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Note
<TABLE class="cc abstand-liste-erster einzug-standard hinweis-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>Refit all cable ties at the same locations when reinstalling.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Install battery</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Tightening torques</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="abstand-tabelle layoutnormal frameall" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=bleedleft><COLGROUP><COL width="75%"><COL width="25%"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR class=th vAlign=top><TD class=cellborderrightbottom-th vAlign=top>Component</TD><TD class=cellborderbottom-th vAlign=top align=middle>Nm</TD></TR><TR class=td vAlign=top><TD class=cellborderrightbottom vAlign=top>Retainer to body</TD><TD class=cellborderbottom vAlign=top align=middle>3</TD></TR><TR class=td vAlign=top><TD class=cellborderright vAlign=top>Positive cables to battery cut-off relay -J655- or battery isolation igniter -N253-</TD><TD class=cellbordernone vAlign=top align=middle>20</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by royclark; 03-08-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - I'm new to this forum as a member but have taken some really good tips in the past!
Question regarding the fuse isolator N253:
Can this isolator work several times or does it need to be replaced in the event of an airbag activation? I have the same MIL fault light on my A6 and was intending to replace with a second hand part but the car it is coming from was involved in a front-on collision with airbag activation so I'm a little wary of buying it.
Any help much appreciated.