A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brakes on V10 S6 SS brake lines, custom pads, only TWO piston calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes on V10 S6 SS brake lines, custom pads, only TWO piston calipers??

Well I probably have the distinction of being the FIRST person to have to do brakes on an 08' S6 (at only 14k miles by the way).

I did it at my race mechanic, the stealership wanted too much time and money to do it.

First off, the caliper is HUGE, bigger than my old porsche turbo with "big reds". Second, did you guys know the brakes only have 2 pistons? What ever happened to 6, 8, or 12 piston calipers.

Anyway, did stock pads and are sending old pads to use a template to make a custom pad using carbon kevlar mix, stock pads fade, bad feel.

Also doing SS braided brake lines, has anyone done this yet?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brakes on V10 S6 SS brake lines, custom pads, only TWO piston calipers??

Yes, long ago at 3500 miles. Had Porterfield make up some pure race pads w/ no anti-vibration springs. The SS lines helped as did the Motul 600, but the pads were absolutely critical at Laguna Seca but WAY too loud (squeal and clank) on the street, so I installed new factory pads at 4750 as the originals were on the sensors. Take your car to La Bree for a TRUE double 3" super high flow exhaust- you have no idea how much that alone wakes up the car

Ask all the other "shoes" on the site, though , 'cause according to many of them, if I was just smoother.....and yes I ALWAYS turn off the ASR/ESP except for rain/snow.
Have 6,300 miles on my '07 S6

JM

LA, CA
Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Were your s/s braided brake lines custom made, or was it off the shelf?

Would like to change my pads (EBC red-stuff), braided lines and good brake fluid first w/o going to the BBKs that StopTech have to see if there's any major diff. Much more cost effective doing it this way.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why so fast on the brake replacement? Special driving technique?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Brakes on V10 S6 SS brake lines, custom pads, only TWO piston calipers??

newbie owner (5 months/8500miles), just joined today. I'm in metro NYC ,and interested in high flow exhaust you mentioned. What is the brand so I can locate on my coast ? Also, what are the best pads / tires come replacement time. No plans to track the S6, and using summer tires year round. Had no problems with snow and ice . I come owned AMG's that sat in the garage when winter turned ugly. Quatro converted me !
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

With a bad winter with lots of snow you will die with summer tires on an S6.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Were your s/s braided brake lines custom made, or was it off the shelf?

Custom made along w/ the Exhaust at La Bree Motorsports in Canoga Park, CA.....The Militek system was hugely $$$ and I heard that fit was an issue.

JM
LA, CA
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Why so fast on the brake replacement? Special driving technique?

Cause the car weighs 4,400Lbs, and I have lots of hilly canyons around, and regularly see in excess of 100Mph on way to work at 5AM...every day.....plus I did 1/2 a track day at Streets of Willow.... If I'm driving, I'm speeding.

Use V1 & Blinder Extreme LASER to allow for more sustained speeding and less "driving the mirrors."

JM
LA, CA
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I understand..

You might consider using the paddles to do some down shigting to reduce the load on your brakes. I also drive fast most of the time (hard not to) with a K40 Calibre front/rear plus laser defuser watching, no track days with the S6, I save my Carrera for that.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Make sure the condition of the SS brake lines is checked

regularly. There have been occurrences of SS brake lines bursting suddenly, caused by rubbing movements of the SS braids wearing through the inner rubber tubing. This is one of the reasons why OEM rarely use SS brake lines even on very high power vehicles.

Quick Reply: Brakes on V10 S6 SS brake lines, custom pads, only TWO piston calipers??