A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI 2g Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI 2g Intermittent

Hi all,

My '05 A6 has been having the MMI shut down out of the blue while I'm driving. It doesn't coordinate with going over bumps and often it's not on for more than a few minutes before the radio or CD just pauses or freezes and then it all shuts down. It won't come back on often after restarting the car, but I have found that if I pull the fuse for the satellite radio module for a few seconds, then put it back in, the MMI will turn back on with the car. VCDS has not been very helpful with this, but I can give some scan info if you'd like.

I am kind of curious if that fuse just resets the satellite radio and has narrowed my issue down to that specific component or if anybody has had a similar issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShadow9079
Hi all,

My '05 A6 has been having the MMI shut down out of the blue while I'm driving. It doesn't coordinate with going over bumps and often it's not on for more than a few minutes before the radio or CD just pauses or freezes and then it all shuts down. It won't come back on often after restarting the car, but I have found that if I pull the fuse for the satellite radio module for a few seconds, then put it back in, the MMI will turn back on with the car. VCDS has not been very helpful with this, but I can give some scan info if you'd like.

I am kind of curious if that fuse just resets the satellite radio and has narrowed my issue down to that specific component or if anybody has had a similar issue.

Any thoughts?
I'm guessing your BT module under the front driver side seat has some water leak damage or is failing. The issue you mentioned manifests itself in many of the same ways, as you've described. BTW, have you ensured you don't have any dampness in the carpet area? Are your roof drains clear and water flows fine? Our cars, although well over a decade old, have some very particular electronics and moisture/corrosion causes all kinds of issues.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
I'm guessing your BT module under the front driver side seat has some water leak damage or is failing. The issue you mentioned manifests itself in many of the same ways, as you've described. BTW, have you ensured you don't have any dampness in the carpet area? Are your roof drains clear and water flows fine? Our cars, although well over a decade old, have some very particular electronics and moisture/corrosion causes all kinds of issues.
Hi raj99,

Thanks for your response! I'm guessing BT is Bluetooth? Unfortunately, mine is before they put Bluetooth in the A6. I will still check under the seat though. Out here in Colorado, rain is kind of a rare thing, but I guess it only takes once. I'm thinking it probably won't currently be wet though. I may also try a loop or a new Serius XM module since that is the fuse that resets resets it.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShadow9079
Hi raj99,

Thanks for your response! I'm guessing BT is Bluetooth? Unfortunately, mine is before they put Bluetooth in the A6. I will still check under the seat though. Out here in Colorado, rain is kind of a rare thing, but I guess it only takes once. I'm thinking it probably won't currently be wet though. I may also try a loop or a new Serius XM module since that is the fuse that resets resets it.
Good point, if it's not the BT module, then the Sirius XM module has also been known to cause similar issues. I'd remove it, put a loop on it and see if things resolve.

Take a look at the following thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...l-but-2856493/
Old 11-05-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

If it is the BT module, I have a spare I am looking to let go of.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good point, if it's not the BT module, then the Sirius XM module has also been known to cause similar issues. I'd remove it, put a loop on it and see if things resolve.

Take a look at the following thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...l-but-2856493/

​​​​​​Haha, thanks! There is one guy on there that says his SiriusXM module was at fault and his battery died after 2 days. I went out on Sunday and my battery was dead after not driving for two days. I have a MOST ring on order.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sswari
If it is the BT module, I have a spare I am looking to let go of.
Hmm, well I may have to look up how to retro-fit one on my 2005. I may think about it. How much?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, just as an update to this. It did end up being the SiriusXM module that was giving the issue. I removed it and installed the MOST loop, and my MMI system has had no issues at all!