A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Not working - Startup Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
There must be a short somewhere. One part of the driver's seat adjustment not working for you is what draw my attention.
That was an awesome post. I went back to double check my seat adjustment and this is what I found:

- memory 1: does NOT adjust front/back seat position, regardless of initial position. DOES adjust seat bottoms

- memory 2: adjusts all 8 directions as expected.

I’m not sure why I can’t get memory 1 to save/adjust the front back—it seems like this is a computer memory issue, not a mechanical one. But the actual seat motors are all working.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 331 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mixersoft

That was an awesome post. I went back to double check my seat adjustment and this is what I found:

- memory 1: does NOT adjust front/back seat position, regardless of initial position. DOES adjust seat bottoms

- memory 2: adjusts all 8 directions as expected.

I’m not sure why I can’t get memory 1 to save/adjust the front back—it seems like this is a computer memory issue, not a mechanical one. But the actual seat motors are all working.
It's probably not the seat. It might be something wrong in the door. I would give it a shot. It's a simple check. A rear view mirror connection short causing the MMI to malfunction in my case was very much unexpected. The wiring and programming in there is very complex.

Last edited by kelisko; 05-05-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I also just finished checking all the fuses in the L/R panels on the front dash. Also the rear right trunk fuses. All good. But i checked near the trunk mounted battery and was unable to find anything that would contain a 60A "I" shaped fuse. Any idea where it would be on an S6?
Sorry! Brain not fully in gear

That's the layout of fuses in the 2005 A8 that I've got. The A8's battery is in the rear right compartment behind the panel and 'at the back' are three huge metallic plate fuses for various car components.

I'd expect the A/S6 to have them but I don't know where they are ...

Julian

PS Interesting story about the door mirrors and MMI problems discussed in this thread. I don't think the MMI directly talks to the mirrors and doors, but there's definitely a door ECU that probably connects to the Central Convenience ECU that does talk to the MMI. [Obviously, only the media components 'talk' on the optical MOST bus - the M in MOST stands for Media. The MMI controller talks via other buses such as the CAN bus and that's what the Gateway is for - it connects all the buses together in the dash.

Julian
Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update... Currently, I am uncertain of what happened but I thought I'd share my experience. I am still troubleshooting.
As a reminder, note that I am suspecting a short in my driver's door rear view mirror to cause my MMI malfunction.

1. Yesterday, I removed the driver's side door panel and disconnected the two cords holding the panel. MMI didn't work.

2. I disconnected all connections in the door except the window motor. MMI didn't work.

3. I unplugged the battery for about 60 sec and plugged it back. MMI restarted and worked. I turned it off.

4. I connected everything back in the door except the rear view mirror. MMI works.

5. I thought of fixing the short and swapped the wires of two connections in the rear view mirror cable which had the same color code and connected the rear view mirror. MMI stopped working.

6. I disconnected the rear view mirror. MMI didn't work.

7. I disconnected the battery for about 60 sec and plugged it back. MMI restarted but crashed when turned on.

8. I'm confused

9. I disconnected the battery for about 10 min and plugged it back. Date/Time are gone. MMI restarted, worked for about 1 min and crashed again.

10. I scanned the car for faults. Faults were found in driver's door (mirror shorts), passenger's door (in relation with driver's door) and Gateway data bus (Optical data bus closed)

11. I cleared all faults, disconnected the battery for about 10 min, reconnected the battery. MMI restarted and crashed. (You could hear delayed static in the driver's speaker and clicks from the MMI unit in the trunk)

12. I tried the same thing again with the same results.

13. I gave up and put everything back, including the driver's door rear view mirror. If I can't have the MMI, at least I'd like to be able to fold my mirror.

14. This morning I gave it another shot.

15. I removed the door panel + two connections and unplugged the driver's side rear view mirror. MMI didn't work.

16. I unplugged the battery for about 10 min and plugged it back. MMI restarted, worked for about 1 min and crashed.

17. I scanned the car for faults. Faults were found in driver's door (mirror shorts), passenger's door (in relation with driver's door) and Gateway data bus (Optical data bus)

18. I cleared all faults, disconnected the battery for about 10 min, reconnected the battery. MMI restarted and crashed. (You could hear delayed static in the driver's speaker and clicks from the MMI unit in the trunk)

19. I left the driver's side rear view mirror disconnected and put everything back.

20. I scanned the car for faults. No faults found in doors but fault found in the Gateway data bus (Optical data bus). Cleared it.

21. I disconnected the battery again and went to take a shower and get ready to go to work.

22. About 15 min later, I was ready to leave. I connected the battery. MMI restarted and worked when turned on. I was suspecting it to crash after a few seconds so I quickly set up the date and time. And it crashed.

23. I started driving and 2 min later I thought of starting the MMI again while driving. It started and worked and did not crash my entire way to work. The sound was crystal clear. I used to have intermittent static issues but the static seems to have vanished and the sound quality was better than before.

I reserve final judgment for later when I'll use the car for at least a week. I will report back.

Last edited by kelisko; 05-07-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I feel your pain.

From my perspective, it means that I may have to think beyond the MOST ring. I still need to rule out an optical fault, but I need more loopback connectors to do so. But if other electrical faults can also cause a similar behavior, then isolating my problem is going to be more challenging.

The original cause was water a flooded front right passenger footwell. The exact source of those leaks is still unknown––but I did spot a few last drips onto the gear shift boot. However, last weekend my car was parked outside in a similarly torrential downpour and there was no signs of leakage. So this leads me to believe it was a cracked sunroof or maybe window.

Any suggestions to the sensitive components that might be in those locations?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The original cause was water a flooded front right passenger footwell. The exact source of those leaks is still unknown––but I did spot a few last drips onto the gear shift boot.
Shorts might be present in your center console board if water got in there. Some people fixed it by cleaning or replacing the board. As for your wet front passenger's footwell issue, it is known to be clogged drains both at the sunroof and at the engine bay level. Check out the following threads.

Wet center console:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...s-now-2786495/

Cleaning cowl drains:
https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/...-drains-422385

Cleaning sunroof drains:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rd-do-2789878/

Removing the sunroof:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-more-2909186/

BTW my MMI has been flawless until now. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

One of the first things I did was remove the center console and the MMI controller/buttons and clean the green PC board under the buttons. Still didn't work. The board looked perfectly clean, but it may still have water damage. If I can rule out MOST loop issues, I might just replace the MMI controller board.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's probably not the seat. It might be something wrong in the door. I would give it a shot. It's a simple check. A rear view mirror connection short causing the MMI to malfunction in my case was very much unexpected. The wiring and programming in there is very complex.
Right now I'm running blind without a diagnostic test of the Optical ring. VCDS "Diagnosis Manager = Gateway/group 19 > Output Test" gave me an "unable to connect" error.

Did you see something similar when you had the mirror short? I'm wondering if the J533/Gateway is unreachable because of an electrical short elsewhere. I may be searching for a fix in the wrong place...
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Right now I'm running blind without a diagnostic test of the Optical ring. VCDS "Diagnosis Manager = Gateway/group 19 > Output Test" gave me an "unable to connect" error.

Did you see something similar when you had the mirror short? I'm wondering if the J533/Gateway is unreachable because of an electrical short elsewhere. I may be searching for a fix in the wrong place...
Yes I saw that only when I forgot to turn the ignition ON when scanning the car. You do turn the ignition ON when doing the scans, don't you?
BTW it's been a week and my MMI still works.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I saw that only when I forgot to turn the ignition ON when scanning the car. You do turn the ignition ON when doing the scans, don't you?
BTW it's been a week and my MMI still works.
Ignition was on :-(

Quick Reply: MMI Not working - Startup Fault