A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replacing drivers side door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Jabergr,

A few questions.

What year/model is your car?
Are you doing the driver's door?
What is wrong with the actuator that makes you want to replace it?
Where are you getting your replacement part?

Look at the pictures I posted above and you will see the 2 pieces that are going to be the hardest pieces for you to deal with (along with the short piece that inserts into the round yellow piece when you are putting the new actuator back in). Also refer to this post https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post25182420

Unfortunately, large hands are not going to help you. My advice is that after you get the actuator totally separated from everything in the door to be careful getting it around the black bar that the window slides up and down in. That way you won't put bulges in the outside (painted side) of your door panel from being too rough with it. Same thing goes with putting the new one in. If you hold the actuator at the very top of the black bar and carefully try different angles, it will get around it. Also, remove the large bose speaker at the bottom of the door for better access to the actuator from the bottom. I do not know how to remove that large white plastic piece. It is a pain in the butt and really hinders this project. I have read somewhere on here or Audizine that it does have a few attachments holding it in place at the top but it is impossible to see them, much less get to them. Hope this helps. It is not going to be easy so be patient and give yourself 3 or 4 hours at least but it's better than paying the dealer a ton of money to do it. One more piece of advice, don't get a $40 or $50 one from Amazon. Get a used one from a car that's a few years newer than yours if you can. The cheap ones don't work correctly in my experience. Good luck. Let me know if you have questions.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks akingzkid for your response... now i'm not as confident as i once thought from the previous string above. i have a 2008 audi a6 (c6) that i'm looking to replace the drivers door (left front) lock actuator. basically, the other 3 door locks work with the fab, speed and lock button. the drivers door only locks or unlocks with key. from reading around, i'm confident that it's due to the lock actuator. I did purchase one from Amazon for $45 but can easily return if needed. do you still feel like getting a used one is the way to go? why have you replaced the actuator 3 times from that post you supplied? i hope it's not because of used parts...? i know it's going to be a tough job to do but i hate spending $1000 for every issue audi needs in order to fix anything. speaking of, i'm now 2 items back on what i needd fixing. so i've got to use the next $1000 on another item. why is it always $1000 every year? if i didn't love this car so much...
i did review your pictures but was a little lost but now i believe it makes sense. and from your other review it sounds like the plastic shroud is not needed for removal for the actuator. i'm going to have to invest in an extendable mirror to see in there further. thanks for the info and if i don't get to it this weekend i'll reach back out with questions at a later date. new plans arose so i'm now looking at 2 weeks away. i'll reach out again. thanks
Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jabergr,
Since you have an 08 A6, your process will be identical to mine. It also appears that you are having the exact same issues I was having so your issue is 100% due to a bad driver's door actuator. I am strongly advising you to NOT buy that lock from Amazon because it will not work properly. Here is the one I purchased but ended up removing it and taking my chances with one I got from a 2006 from the junkyard for $40 (as opposed to spending $380 for a genuine audi one).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N68GX34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I definitely realize this is a ticking time bomb (because there is no guarantee that it will last very long) but I'm willing to take my chances.

My issue with the cheap Amazon lock was that when I was inside the car with the doors locked, I would exit the vehicle by pulling the inside door handle, it would not unlock the actual lock in the door. The door would open to allow me to get out of the car but it would remain locked. I figured this out one day when I came home and got out of the car with the car running AC on full blast) and when I went to get back inside the car, the door was locked. I only have one key so I had to wait 45 min for a tow truck company to come and "break" into the car to open the door for me. Cost me $75!! The car was running the entire time. It didn't overheat or anything though; which I was concerned about because it was about 90 degrees outside. So, if you want to chance this, go ahead and buy that Amazon lock. LOL.

If you do get that lock and install it, you should check to make sure it does not allow what I mentioned above to happen to you. If so, remove it and get another lock.To test this, just get in the car (the car can be off). Let the driver's window down. Lock the doors using the button on the door. Leave the key inside the car. Get out of the car and close the door. Then see if the door is locked or unlocked. It should be unlocked. If it's locked, that door lock actuator is bad.You can also do it without getting out of the car. Just do what I said above and then just reach outside of the car through the window and try to open the door from the outside (without actually getting out of the car). The red light on the door should also go off when you pull the door handle to get out. If the red light remains lit, that means the door is locked and the actuator is malfunctioning.

When I installed the lock that I got from the junkyard, it did not do this and worked perfectly.

I replaced it 3 times because I removed it once and disassembled it to look at the inside to see if anything was obviously broken. Nothing was visibly broken that I could tell so I reinstalled it (first time).
I purchased the one from Amazon and installed it (second time).
I removed the Amazon one and installed the one from the junkyard (third time).
I actually think there may have been a 4th time where I removed the Amazon one and reinstalled the original one to test if it allowed me to lock myself out of the car with the key inside and it did not allow it. That's how I determined that the Amazon one was bad.

No, you don't need to remove the bit white plastic piece but it will be a pain in your butt. As I have said in my posts, you should just break the small portion of the white plastic cover that surrounds the electrical connection at the bottom of the actuator. You can see it in the picture above where I am using the mirror. If you don't break this piece to allow you to easily lower the actuator, you will have a VERY hard time lifting it up high enough to get the electrical connector piece out of the white plastic piece that surrounds it.

Yes, you will need a mirror. It will help a lot when trying to disconnect and re-connect the long metal rod into the little yellow/black clip. Be careful not to break it. If you do break it, you will have an extra one (can be taken from the new or old one).

I'm with you.................I will try most things myself instead of spending thousands of dollars for the dealer to do it.

Let me know if you need help once you decide to do it in 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well, i started replacing the driver's door lock actuator this morning at around 9AM and expected the job to last all day. after some tight spots and taking my time, i finished the replacement at noon (thumbs up!). After reviewing all the notes and videos out there i thought it would have taken much longer but 'THANK YOU' to everyone that has contributed to this thread. i appreciate everything everyone has mentioned. The item i found most valuable that wasn't really mentioned but you can see. the video that shows the guy taking the actuator out, it's important to squeeze it through at the top of the door. i was trying a little lower because visually it looked to possibly fit better there, wrong! there is more room at the top (just watch that video to see where and the direction it comes out)!

akingzkid, i checked the locking issue as you mentioned from your faulty parts. i tested what you said and i can't get the same issue as you did with the amazon part. i'm quite pleased with the outcome and it only cost me my time understanding the issue and the process, $45 for the part and an extendable mirror with light for $20 (well worth the $20), $65 total. did i mention the lock WORKS!!! i do understand when someone spoke of the closing of the door sounds different, but it works fine. i never did have to break the plastic loop at the bottom, once all was disassembled, i was able to push out the plastic shroud, push up on the actuator and unhook the white plastic piece you mentioned. I was on the verge of cutting it till i tried pushing it away from the wall of the door and that's when i was able to have enough room. if i do run into any issues with this part i will come back and post, i hope you don't hear from me again, HA! thank you for responding to me and for all your input to this string
Old 09-15-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jabergr
well, i started replacing the driver's door lock actuator this morning at around 9AM and expected the job to last all day. after some tight spots and taking my time, i finished the replacement at noon (thumbs up!). After reviewing all the notes and videos out there i thought it would have taken much longer but 'THANK YOU' to everyone that has contributed to this thread. i appreciate everything everyone has mentioned. The item i found most valuable that wasn't really mentioned but you can see. the video that shows the guy taking the actuator out, it's important to squeeze it through at the top of the door. i was trying a little lower because visually it looked to possibly fit better there, wrong! there is more room at the top (just watch that video to see where and the direction it comes out)!

akingzkid, i checked the locking issue as you mentioned from your faulty parts. i tested what you said and i can't get the same issue as you did with the amazon part. i'm quite pleased with the outcome and it only cost me my time understanding the issue and the process, $45 for the part and an extendable mirror with light for $20 (well worth the $20), $65 total. did i mention the lock WORKS!!! i do understand when someone spoke of the closing of the door sounds different, but it works fine. i never did have to break the plastic loop at the bottom, once all was disassembled, i was able to push out the plastic shroud, push up on the actuator and unhook the white plastic piece you mentioned. I was on the verge of cutting it till i tried pushing it away from the wall of the door and that's when i was able to have enough room. if i do run into any issues with this part i will come back and post, i hope you don't hear from me again, HA! thank you for responding to me and for all your input to this string
That is awesome man. You are welcome. I have gotten (and still do) lots of help from the good people on this forum so I want to give back. Glad it worked out for you. Great feeling of accomplishment right?? I love it when all my stuff works correctly and can’t rest when it doesn’t. Let us know if you have any issues.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just went through the process myself using Audi lock mechanism ... paid more, but I don't want to deal with it again

One QQ - what torgue for the 2 spline bolts? I didn't see it in any of the videos, and could not find it in the various notes in the thead.

TIA!
Old 12-13-2023, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

well, this thing went on mine as well.

My A6 avant has keyless entry, are there difference betweenlock actuators because of it? ANybody has a part no for these things, so I can order one.

Thank you anyone
Old 12-13-2023, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by G-Can
well, this thing went on mine as well.

My A6 avant has keyless entry, are there difference betweenlock actuators because of it? ANybody has a part no for these things, so I can order one.

Thank you anyone
@G-Can My post above (post #46) (link below) has my part # from the drivers door. You can see it on the actuator picture. My car is a 2006 A6.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post25153674