A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6: minor point but possible dealbreaker!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6: minor point but possible dealbreaker!

I'm pretty much down to the S6 and A8 SWB (and possibly the BMW 535xi). I was at the dealer today to check out the RS4 (amazing to drive, but maybe a little too intense, for me, as a daily driver), and I sat in an A6 to get a feel for the cockpit. When I got the seat to the right position, the left door armrest was too far forward to use comfortably. I have a 30 minute commute each way, and for this kind of money I expect to do it in comfort. I know this has been mentioned on the board in the past, but I would sure like to know if anyone who has had this issue has gotten used to it over time?

Another concern I should mention: Car and Driver really liked the S6, but the review mentioned that the transmission makes its own upshift decisions. I'm coming from a manual transmission and I wonder if this could get to be annoying. Has this been a problem for any of you in real-world driving?

I'll be test driving an A8 Sport in 2 weeks, maybe that will have the combination I'm looking for.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: S6: minor point but possible dealbreaker!

I have a 35-40 minute each way, every day. I've had the car near 10 months now, and I can't ever recall feeling the arm rest on the left side was too far forward. Sitting in the car at the dealer's lot vs. real woads are 2 differnt things. So, frankly, I don't get the 'problem' with the arm rests.

And while I don't have an S6, I have never found the transmission acting in anything other than a proper manner. Of course it makes its own upshift decisions- it's an automatic, but the ZF 6 speed seems to work very nicely.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

downshifts OTOH can be annoyingly delayed, so can throttle response.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But on the S6 I find the downshifts to be crisp and well timed...

especially in the S mode. An automatic is an automatic...and this is not a DSG tranny; but I am very happy with the performance of the S6 tranny setup so far.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for your reply (more)

However, it wasn't just my short time in the car (in the showroom and on a test drive) that concerned me. I did a search and other people have mentioned the armrest problem. I'm glad for you that it is not an issue; perhaps it depends on where you place your seat? I am 6'1" and have to move the seat pretty far back, which leaves no place to rest my left arm. I realize that this is not enough exposure to make a full judgement, which is why I solicited more opinions from owners.

As far as the transmission, C&D specifically dowgraded the S6 because in M mode it would not hold a gear near redline like the AMG does. Again, this may not be an annoyance in the real world, so thanks for weighing in!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Cat Herder

i'm 6'1 and don't have armrest probs at all.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default The transmission. . .

. . .of the A6 (I assume it is better in the S6) is, to this day, the weakest link for those of us with a long history of driving sticks.

Yet, surprise, surprise -- after a few thousand miles, the damn thing learns and improves "a lot." The areas that linger as minor, minor problems: "in D" the transmission is in a hurry to upshift. It is reluctant to downshift especially at speeds such as "rolling and creeping as you slow down at the top of an exit ramp that is traffic light controlled."

The results, sometimes, the transmission is in 2nd gear at close to a full stop -- then when you press part way down on the accelerator, the car tends to feel as if the parking brake is on since the torque in 2nd gear a 3rpm is nil.

Sport mode or a quick flick of the tip to the then appropriate lower gear cures this.

Over time it happens once out of every 5 times you are in this circumstance of slowing down.

Sport mode reduces this to once in a blue moon (almost never, that is.)

If you've never driven a stick you probably wouldn't notice, cause it really is about the best auto (if it is not the best I can't think of a better one) ever.

Just be aware this is the case with the A6, the additional torque of the S6 and hopefully some different transmission programs probably have cured this slight flaw.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just curious...

about what u r really looking for... Each of these autos is in a different class: A8 luxo, fullsize sporty cruiser, 535xi, a sporty mid-size 4WD sedan, most comparable to the A6 3.2. Then there's S6 -- a ***** to the wall exotic in sedan's clothing... As you scrutinize the details, what about the big picture?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: S6: minor point but possible dealbreaker!

You normally drive with you left arm on the armrest? Your left hand is on the wheel right?

As for the transmission, now that my car has 15,000 miles on it, I rarely use the sport mode.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree. Both hands on the wheel means you shouldn't be using the armrest.

Quick Reply: S6: minor point but possible dealbreaker!