A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Trunk latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankS
Common problem, replace the latch or have your dealer do it. I got mine from genuineaudiparts.com and it took ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO REPLACE.
Frank - did your old part show a different revision number/letter? If so, do you remember and/or can post it for comparison?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT2BLT2A6
just had mine done. couldn't take it anymore. at a wedding, parked right in front of everyone, we had been asked to take some gifts home for the bride... and there I was, dressed to the nines, with a sparkling clean A6- and a friggin trunk that would not close. grrrr.
so, looking at my service invoice the part number is 4F5-827-505-D, this was just done 8/10 so I have to believe it is the most current.
now, I had this done under my CPO warranty, BUT, this winter when I first experienced the problem I purchased a latch that I kept in the car in case I got caught and the trunk would not close.
I still have this, and the part number matches.
haha bye, pm me if you want it. n/c.
this is so frustrating and annoying (and embarrassing) I'd be happy to help you out.
Danm, some way to end the night... I will be going to a wedding soon and the last thing I want to see is some kid in a Scion close his trunk next to me and I can't.

I am sad to report that I have just had my first instant of this problem early this morning. I went to take mom to the airport, opened the trunk, loaded her bags and then "wtf". I did not know what to make out of what was happening. Glad I checked in with you guys about this and will be ordering my new latch 4F5-827-505-D in a few minutes. Thanks, all...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Danm, some way to end the night... I will be going to a wedding soon and the last thing I want to see is some kid in a Scion close his trunk next to me and I can't.

I am sad to report that I have just had my first instant of this problem early this morning. I went to take mom to the airport, opened the trunk, loaded her bags and then "wtf". I did not know what to make out of what was happening. Glad I checked in with you guys about this and will be ordering my new latch 4F5-827-505-D in a few minutes. Thanks, all...
yeah, it is a easy job to get it done. I did mine done a month ago. I kept hitting my trunk down to close while my girl friend's mom sitting in the back seat. That was so embarraasing.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by whehd79
yeah, it is a easy job to get it done. I did mine done a month ago. I kept hitting my trunk down to close while my girl friend's mom sitting in the back seat. That was so embarraasing.
I second this! It is annoying and tedious to have to slam the trunk consecutively in what was a 50k car. The only way to close the damn trunk in the winter is to continuely slam it and then it latches, but the screen display in the instrument cluster will continuely tell you the trunk is open when in fact it isn't.

Just ordered part had to be special ordered at my local dealer.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got mines in yesterday from Genuinevwaudiparts and will be installing it this weekend. Looks like it is not too complex but we will see how it goes.

On a side note, I spoke with mom the other day and her flight back home was great. When I called she took the opportunity to jab me by saying that she was unloading her groceries, talking to me and just closed her CRV trunk with her elbow. I was like, ok ma' I will be taking care of it soon. So embarrasing

Last edited by jujuC6; 10-22-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

funny!!!I just got this problem with my a6 as well. with directions I feel I can do it on my own . any ideas where to get one from for a good price and correct part number. 2006 audi a6 quattro
Old 12-29-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you even read the above posts, or do you want them specifically addressed to you?
2006 Audi A6 Quattro Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ...

Originally Posted by roylok
Did you even read the above posts, or do you want them specifically addressed to you?
2006 Audi A6 Quattro Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com

I found it already. im entitled to a moment every once in a while
Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
If you're under warranty, take it to the dealer. Mine was giving me trouble last February- the dealer installed a new latch. They also mentioned it was a "documented issue with certain A6s"

-Mike
Yeah, I see by the service records that my 05 had the trunk latch replaced while under warranty.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had this same problem about 6 years ago. Very common problem when it is cold. The dealer fixed it under warranty. Sorry but I can't recall exactly what they did.

Originally Posted by haha bye
The second it gets cold out the trunk latch stops latching. the electronics work fine and the solenoid works fine it just doesnt actually latch and the trunk wont close sometimes. Im not sure if this is common.... any input?