A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

led in exterior door handle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
The auxiliary LED lights (and I am not talking LED headlights here)may turn out to be a design weakness of the A7. I just noticed that the light in the rear door scuff trim on my A7 is only half lit, the front is OK, the rear is out.

This is rather surprising, as a LED light is one of the simplest circuits in electronics, involving only two components (the LED and a current limiting resistor). Of course the problem could also be a poor solder joint on the printed circuit board or substandard circuit board material that cracks.

So I wonder about the numerous reports of LED failures on the A7 (including mine) as LED lights are not exactly a brand new development, they have been around for quite a while.
This issue IS puzzling & the current solution appears just replacing the bulbs which is understandable on Audi's part at this time. I'll be interested to see over time if those owners who have had bulb replacement, see the bulbs fail again.

Again, I wonder if Audi monitors these boards. I have to assume that they do. As a result, I HOPE that you and others who have had the replacements done, report any 2nd. failures.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
The auxiliary LED lights (and I am not talking LED headlights here)may turn out to be a design weakness of the A7. I just noticed that the light in the rear door scuff trim on my A7 is only half lit, the front is OK, the rear is out.

This is rather surprising, as a LED light is one of the simplest circuits in electronics, involving only two components (the LED and a current limiting resistor). Of course the problem could also be a poor solder joint on the printed circuit board or substandard circuit board material that cracks.

So I wonder about the numerous reports of LED failures on the A7 (including mine) as LED lights are not exactly a brand new development, they have been around for quite a while.
The replacement part had to be ordered from Germany, it supposed to be on its way.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

What replacement part? Not a bulb?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It is a circuit board strip with numerous LED-s, resistors and possibly other components. Half the LED-s have gone dark.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, I see.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so had my car in for the door handle LED problem today and all now sorted. They said they had removed the driver door handle to access and correct a problem with an earthing wire. Also replaced all four LED lights in the door handles and I was able to grab a few details from the repair bulletin to share with you guys. Looks like this is a known fault as "water can get in electronics of light through the resin seal causing failure" with a production change mentioned which "modified door ambient lights with silicon seal". Appears that this may be ok for any lights from 24 April 2011 (my car is January 2011) as the bulletin mentions any lights replaced from 24 April are ok and do not need replacing as a precaution if other lights are defective. Hope this helps (note this information is for a UK car).
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by double0
Ok so had my car in for the door handle LED problem today and all now sorted. They said they had removed the driver door handle to access and correct a problem with an earthing wire. Also replaced all four LED lights in the door handles and I was able to grab a few details from the repair bulletin to share with you guys. Looks like this is a known fault as "water can get in electronics of light through the resin seal causing failure" with a production change mentioned which "modified door ambient lights with silicon seal". Appears that this may be ok for any lights from 24 April 2011 (my car is January 2011) as the bulletin mentions any lights replaced from 24 April are ok and do not need replacing as a precaution if other lights are defective. Hope this helps (note this information is for a UK car).
Thanks for the post. It makes me feel better knowing Audi is "watching out" for known issues.