A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

LED Headlights - Light Malfunction.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2THRSQ
Yes I just took my A7 in for a 10000 mile service. They replaced a power steering module on recall. They ordered a right headlight module as I have had the same light malfunction warning. They also ordered new door seals that will be added between the front and rear doors. This is also some type of recall fix. Will keep you up to date.
Thanks. Please do.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked my car up from the service center and they supposedly found the issue and fixed it!

I've been having the same very intermittent "Vehicle lights: Malfunction" error for a while now (started last December IIRC), but it happened so infrequently the only time I'd bring it in and mention the issue was when I was in for regularly schedule maintanence. They'd always tell me they checked it out and everything checked out fine, no fault codes stored, etc.

A couple photos I was able to take of the error message when it happened again about two months ago:

Name:  chNAb.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  HdJF8.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  20.4 KB

The other day I just so happened to be at a shopping center less than a mile from my usual Audi dealership and I had the "Vehicle lights: Malfunction" error start popping up again. I started to notice a trend -- the error would pop up every time my headlights were on (set on AUTO mode, so the error only popped up when the LED headlights were on in the dark parking garage and not in sunlight outside the garage) AND I was making a right turn sharp enough to activate the LED turn assist light (w/e that feature's officially called). I drove right over to the Audi dealership and replicated the error for one of their techs.

Turns out the issue, according to them, stems from a faulty low beam LED control module. The recommended fix was just to replace the module, which they obviously did under warranty. I guess time will only tell if the issue is really gone for good...

Don't have access to a scanner at the moment, so I'll transcribe the text from the service forms:

SCANNED VEHICLE AND FOUND DTC 03813 RIGHT HIGH BEAM HEADLAMP
CURRENT CODING IMPLAUSIBLE INCORRECT SIGNAL. CHECKED WIRING
AND FOUND EVERYTHING NORMAL. CHECKED FOR TSBS AND FOUND TSB
2028947/4 RELATED THE PROBLEM. REPLACE THE LOW BEAM LED
CONTROL MODULE. REPLACE MODULA AS PER TSB AND NOW CHECKS
OKAY

And the control module they ordered and replaced:
FP-NUMBER: 4G0-907-472-C
DESCRIPTION: POWER MOD

Hope this info is helpful to anyone who's still trying to get this issue solved on their A7!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the update. Did your dealer have to special order the lighting module?

Originally Posted by i1800collect
I just picked my car up from the service center and they supposedly found the issue and fixed it!

I've been having the same very intermittent "Vehicle lights: Malfunction" error for a while now (started last December IIRC), but it happened so infrequently the only time I'd bring it in and mention the issue was when I was in for regularly schedule maintanence. They'd always tell me they checked it out and everything checked out fine, no fault codes stored, etc.

A couple photos I was able to take of the error message when it happened again about two months ago:

The other day I just so happened to be at a shopping center less than a mile from my usual Audi dealership and I had the "Vehicle lights: Malfunction" error start popping up again. I started to notice a trend -- the error would pop up every time my headlights were on (set on AUTO mode, so the error only popped up when the LED headlights were on in the dark parking garage and not in sunlight outside the garage) AND I was making a right turn sharp enough to activate the LED turn assist light (w/e that feature's officially called). I drove right over to the Audi dealership and replicated the error for one of their techs.

Turns out the issue, according to them, stems from a faulty low beam LED control module. The recommended fix was just to replace the module, which they obviously did under warranty. I guess time will only tell if the issue is really gone for good...

Don't have access to a scanner at the moment, so I'll transcribe the text from the service forms:

And the control module they ordered and replaced:

Hope this info is helpful to anyone who's still trying to get this issue solved on their A7!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Thanks for the update. Did your dealer have to special order the lighting module?
They did. They put the order in Friday morning and it arrived and got installed late Monday.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Yea mine just got into the dealer took about 3-4 weeks from when they ordered it. I'm scheduled to drop my car off this Friday.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this thread is ridiculously old but this just happened to my '12 A7 yesterday and this morning. It's been cold for Arizona the last couple of days (30s) and this is the first time it has popped up.

I had the light switch in the Auto position, however, today even when I switched the lights to the off position they stayed on along with the warning.

Took it straight to the dealership so hopefully all of these previous cases are in the system and they know what to do.

Did the module replacement pretty solve everyone's issues?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the module replacement pretty solve everyone's issues?[/QUOTE]

Yup, solved mine. Had the module replaced this past Sept. You'll be good to go in no time.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems this problem could become a known issue and a problem for early cars approaching the expiration of their warranty, it seems sooner or later those beautiful LED headlamps (and/or their modules) will fail and I am not sure about the module but I have heard the headlamps are ridiculously expensive.
Anyone who got their module replaced by the warranty happen to know how much that would that be if the car had no warranty?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feralc
It seems this problem could become a known issue and a problem for early cars approaching the expiration of their warranty, it seems sooner or later those beautiful LED headlamps (and/or their modules) will fail and I am not sure about the module but I have heard the headlamps are ridiculously expensive.
Anyone who got their module replaced by the warranty happen to know how much that would that be if the car had no warranty?
I have the car in for the headlight warning and some faulty window regulators for both rear seats (still functioned but were making a grinding sound). They had to special order the regulators and those should be in early this week.

My advisor did say they replaced the faulty headlight module under warranty, so when I pick the car up I will ask what the actual price is.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacier6
I have the car in for the headlight warning and some faulty window regulators for both rear seats (still functioned but were making a grinding sound). They had to special order the regulators and those should be in early this week.

My advisor did say they replaced the faulty headlight module under warranty, so when I pick the car up I will ask what the actual price is.
thanks please ask him how much that will be including labor etc, my warranty expires at the end of April and I wish all those gremlins could show their faces before that deadline, but I do not use my car that much, I have 21k miles (how many do you have?) but in the last two years I have driven like 2k miles per year.
I have a list of things I will fix before the warranty expires so far:
1 Passenger seat airbag sensor faulty (started showing nobody is there when somebody is there)
2 MMI screen folding down slower than normal
3 One day I drive and I had the open trunk warning, but the hatch was not up (a sensor maybe or maybe it did not close properly)
4 Jerky transmission shifting in lower gears (an ongoing problem)
5 Sometimes I feel I touch the door handle and the car was unlocked, it is hard to explain but it opens right away without chirping, and the mirrors were folded etc.
6 Parking sensor showing there is something and there is nothing, and it is not dirty.
If any of these has happened to you or you know of any other mysterious gremlins please let me know.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Light Malfunction.