A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Transmission fault on 2012 AUDI A7 ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission fault on 2012 AUDI A7 ???

Greetings everyone.
Today after I started my recently purchased 2012 Audi A7 I got the dreaded transmission fault warning in the dash. Apparently it can be driven at a slower speed. I turned the car off and re started it and it was fine. After about two hours I went out to checked it again and the same thing happened. The headlights were on and the on/off switch would not do anything. Eventually it went away and drove the car with no problems whatsoever. It only has 61200 miles and has had all the services done. I bought the car towards the end of November last year and it has worked perfectly until now. I have read that there is a wiring harness that tends to get dirty and can cause a fault. I will take the car to my independent shop and see what they say.
Apparently this is a fairly of common problem and would like to see if anyone else here has had the same issue. Yesterday I replaced the front rotors and brake pads and I doubt that this would have anything to do with this latest issue.
Again, love the car and it drives like a dream

I had a 2005 TT with ZERO issues after 11 years of ownership and we also own a 2008 A6 Avant with 85000 miles and has been perfect.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New year. (Sort of)!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to say this but my 2016 Audi A7 3.0T with only 44k miles got a new mechatronic (gearbox) and transmission replaced few months ago for lurching, gear hunting and malfunctioning. It was covered under warranty. The car does not drive perfectly like it used to do especially with downshifts in dynamic mode and sometimes in normal mode. It shifts up fine and I am taking it back in for adaptation since I have put 3k on the new tranny. Its not a rare problem with this generation A7/S7/RS7 for some reason... I am sadden as I was gonna keep this car for a long time but I am going to end up selling it this summer and get new 2020 Audi S7 or RS7 with the new tranny.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear that you had to replace the entire gearbox, especially at such low mileage. I took the car to my local service shop and they scanned it entirely and removed a few codes. Apparently what caused it was a low battery in the key fob which did not allow for all the systems to communicate properly before you start the car. Drove the heck out of it yesterday without a problem and hopefully it will stay that way. A new S7 or RS 7 should be lots of fun.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by graycat89
Sorry to hear that you had to replace the entire gearbox, especially at such low mileage. I took the car to my local service shop and they scanned it entirely and removed a few codes. Apparently what caused it was a low battery in the key fob which did not allow for all the systems to communicate properly before you start the car. Drove the heck out of it yesterday without a problem and hopefully it will stay that way. A new S7 or RS 7 should be lots of fun.
Glad to hear this!!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by graycat89
Crazy that a key fob can cause this. I recently replaced my key when the fob started blinking and I got a "Low key battery" warning.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately the fault is back and the car will not start until after 5 minutes or so. I bought the car on 11/26/2018 and it has worked flawlessly and the whole problem started last Monday. IT has 61500 miles. I replaced the front rotors and pads last weekend and I seriously doubt that I damaged anything in the process. Have done brake work in a half a dozen cars with no issues. My independent shop replaced the key fob batteries and cleared a couple of other faults that had nothing to do with this issue. The transmission shifts perfectly once it starts, paddle shifters and all. I just noticed that it takes a little longer than usual to go in between D and R. My 2005 TT was like that and you just waited a second or two. I have also noticed that once the car is warm it will start with no problems. Kind of a drag since I have owned 2 VW Passat, 1998 and 2002 which were perfect, a 2005 tt 3.2 DSG with 92000 miles and traded it for the current A7. We have a 2008 A6 Avant with 85000 miles and has also been perfect. Very frustrating and I hope that it does not turn out to be a very expensive nightmare. Thanks to all for listening.