A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Initial Impressions

Only 24 hours with the car, but thought I would share some initial thoughts. Point of reference is we traded in a 2015 A7, which was preceded by a 2012 A7. That was preceded by 4 different A6s. Long time Audi customer for our daily drivers.

As mentioned before we have the contour option which includes the comfort/massage seats and all the extra/upgraded leather, Prestige package, B&O Advanced 3D, S-Line, Drivers assist, 20” all-season and cold weather package.

Exterior: The previous A7 came across as sexy in a masculine way. Beautiful, but also intimidating from the front. Wide and low and with the daytime LEDs a scowl on its face. The new A7 is also sexy, but in more a feminine way. Plenty of curves and creases and more playful in its appearance. The old A7 would turn heads, but this new one is a bit less of an extrovert. Side by side most people are not going to know the difference. Our old A7 was Black on Black and the new one is the same. I doubt anyone in the neighborhood or at work we know we have a new car. And that is fine with me. Spending time looking at the car you can see how Audi sculpted the lines. It's beautiful, but in more subtle and subliminal ways.

Interior: In a word…”WOW”. The lighting and the screens make this feel like a special place. I remember our 2001 A6 2.7T and all the buttons backlit by red. At night you felt like piloting a fighter jet. This car is like piloting a space ship. With customizable interior lighting you can make this a special place. Add to that the contour option with the extra/upgraded leather on the doors and dashboard it feels great to the touch. Alcantara for the door inserts is a nice touch. The wood is gorgeous and feels nice to the touch.

Suspension: I’m really happy with the Sport Suspension. Firm in cornering, but forgiving for Chicago streets. No rattles in the under carriage or wheel wells. Looking forward to getting her to Wisconsin for some spirited driving at Road America.

Engine: Based on the specs I was disappointed in the HP of the new A7. However, 3 things have changed my mind on this for now. 1) Moving from Supercharger to Turbo means you loose the need for a Supercharger to be driven by the engine. Turbos are driven by the exhaust and don’t have a drain on the engine power like Superchargers and 2) With the 48v electrical system you also loose the need for the alternator belt to be driven by the engine. These 2 items alone given you a big boost in HP at the wheels compared to the old model. 3) Add to that the dual clutch gear box and how quickly it shifts. I was nervous about slow speed jerkiness as our Porsche 911’s PDK is not the best at low speed, but so far not problem with Audi’s S-tronic in the A7. The car seems very quick and while I’m still observing break-in procedures I’m sure I won't be disappointed.

Driving: It's odd, but for some reason the car feels larger. Perhaps it's because you can see so much of the hood in front of you as compared to the old A7. Steering has more feel than previous car and is nicely weighted. Throttle response is quick, but you can feel the second that the turbo needs to spool up to generate the power. Not sure if its the turbo or the 48v electrical system, but on initial startup a brief whine can be heard. The start-stop system is nearly undetectable and is much improved from prior car. With the prestige package you get the acoustic glass which makes the cabin very (and I mean very) quiet. It was so quiet that my wife complained about the the noise from vent behind her ear in the B-pillar as it was "blowing air too loudly".

Drivers assist systems: So far I don’t even know they are working. I have the setting on “Maximum” for assist, but so far it's been seamless. I guess that’s good as it doesn’t take away form the driving experience.

Menus and Screens: I’ve had to reorient my thinking about the car in this regard. Previous MMI system was easy to use and felt car centric. This system feels more like your mobile phone’s operating system. Icons, menus, sub-menus, apps, slide bars, User settings, etc…. I’m sure I will get used to it, but simple things like turning on the heated steering wheel takes a feel clicks. I may be able to find ways to create shortcuts so not saying it's bad, but somewhat of a learning curve. It's important also to go through the setup wizard with the car the first time. That gets the phone paired, Audi Connect working, Car Play etc…. It might take 15 minutes, but a lot easier than trying to do all of that later one-by-one. Also the initial start up boot time for the systems is < 10 seconds and scrolling the Google Maps is as fast so you can move your finger.

Seats: Again we have the contour option. The seats are fantastic, but need to take the time to set them up. In addition to all the usual adjustments you can also adjust the side lumbar (think pinch your love handles) and the seat bolsters (think pinch your butt). At first I felt like I was swimming in the seat as I’m not a big guy, but after playing with all the adjustments they fit like a glove now. The massage is nice, but not my thing. My wife liked it a lot.

Couple negative comments

1) Not a fan of the new gear lever. I know its just a learning curve, but it will take some time to re-do my thinking of how to engage the right gear be it “D”, “R” or “P”
2) Holy fingerprints, Batman! I forget how many buttons got eliminated, but the downside of that is fingerprints on the screens. Keep a microfiber cloth in the car at all times…. While I would never take my car to a car wash, I can just see someone doing that and the attendants using the same rags they dried the footwells with on the screens. Scratches would be the result.
3) This is a $90K car and has the sport package so why does Audi equip it with cheap plastic shift paddles behind the steering wheel. I doubt it would cost more than $20 to have 2 milled aluminum paddles and would make that feel to the touch so much nicer. It might be a North American market thing as I’ve seen aluminum paddles in YouTube videos of the new A7 in Europe and Middle East.
4) I’m not totally impressed with the B&O Advanced 3D system - yet. This Summer we rented a Mercedes S class in Europe and it had the Burmester (sp?) system that was amazing. Was hoping this system would be on par. While its better than the B&O from the previous generation A7, it's not on par with that Merc Burmester system. I probably need to fiddle with it some more.
5) I miss exposed exhaust pipes

Any questions let me know. She goes in next week for 5 days to get a Paint Protection Film (PPF) wrap and a ceramic coating. I could talk for hours about the benefits of that if you are a person that is **** retentive about your car’s appearance.

Big shout-out to Jack Broder from Fletcher Jones Audi Chicago. They were great to deal with. Long time customers and Jack makes car buying fun.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Great review! Quick question, did you adjust the settings on the haptic feedback or sensitivity of the buttons to your press? I found the standard setting so long and boring and wanted a fast response but didnt get a chance to play around with the car at the dealer. Also, what made you get the non s-line package and 21 inch wheels? I saw the 21 inch s-line package at the dealer and its visually imposing of not that much more than standard A7 but still nice. Still cannot get over fact its all black grill, WTF. The ones at the auto show had chrome grill with sports package like my A7 and its more sharper.

Ii know Chicago is pothole haven but 20s is not bad set up and you can get winter wheels/tires. That's what I do for our A7 here in Michigan and A6 in chicago both with 20s summer and 19 winters. We got the A6 from Fletcher Jones too. How is the steering feel and body roll compare to the current A7? What about the brakes feel? The A7 has a mushy brake feel compared to the similar A6 we have and I have tried Adam's rotors and Stoptech brake pads and Akebonos etc and its not great.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did adjust the settings, but more for the haptic feedback and giving me a stronger vibration. I want to know that I hit the button without having to look at the screen. You do have to give the screens a solid touch to get the response. Its not like an iPhone that only needs a slight touch

I got the 20" All-Seasons with S-Line. I live in Chicago and all Seasons are a must. I'm not a fan of tire swapping with the season so didn't want to go the 21" Summer rubber route. We live in the city and garage space is very limited so tire storage is not something I want to deal with. Besides I have the 911 for the Summer months with its 21" Summer rubber.

Much less roll on the new A7 w/ S-Line compared to the only A7 w/ standard suspension. I tested this at 4:00am thing morning driving up Sheridan drive to Highland Park. Its the best road we have in Chicago for spirited driving. Some parts have twisties that the old A7 would wallow through. The new A7 was very composed. Its still a 4K lb+ sedan, but happy with the ride and handling.

I haven't pushed the brakes hard. Need to break them in slowly. My old A7 had a constant issue with warped rotors so being careful with these initially
Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
I did adjust the settings, but more for the haptic feedback and giving me a stronger vibration. I want to know that I hit the button without having to look at the screen. You do have to give the screens a solid touch to get the response. Its not like an iPhone that only needs a slight touch

I got the 20" All-Seasons with S-Line. I live in Chicago and all Seasons are a must. I'm not a fan of tire swapping with the season so didn't want to go the 21" Summer rubber route. We live in the city and garage space is very limited so tire storage is not something I want to deal with. Besides I have the 911 for the Summer months with its 21" Summer rubber.

Much less roll on the new A7 w/ S-Line compared to the only A7 w/ standard suspension. I tested this at 4:00am thing morning driving up Sheridan drive to Highland Park. Its the best road we have in Chicago for spirited driving. Some parts have twisties that the old A7 would wallow through. The new A7 was very composed. Its still a 4K lb+ sedan, but happy with the ride and handling.

I haven't pushed the brakes hard. Need to break them in slowly. My old A7 had a constant issue with warped rotors so being careful with these initially

Glad to hear! Yeah I understand your situation with garage and storage. I do have a place here in Michigan that swaps and store my alternate sets for a cost but in Chicago there are 2 of them but cost more. Anyways, the slight vibration is what I am getting 3 times already on my A7 with 48k miles unlike any other car. Its not warpage but disc variance thickness where there is uneven deposit of brake materials on the rotors leading to some runout. Im switching out to Stoptech rotors tomorrow to get it smooth again. I prefer Akebono ceramic pads as they are smoother and quieter than standard brake pads. Keep me posted on how your A7 is and congrats again!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great review! Just wondering if the acoustic dual-pane glass is front only or both front and rear? thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All 4 doors have the acoustic glass. You can feel the thickness of the glass when the door is open. I'm not sure about the front windshield and rear hatch glass. When I tap my knuckle on the glass the front windshield sounds similar to the side door glass with the acoustic. The rear hatch glass sounds thinner
Old 12-20-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Thanks for the comprehensive review
Old 12-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comprehensive review! What is your opinion on fuel economy so far? I reeeeaally love the 21 inch tires in the A7. Do you think they would worsen the ride significantly given that you've gotten to spend time with the 20's and their ride? Lastly, can you elaborate on the HD Matrix lights vs your old your old A7?

And also, some pictures would be much appreciated!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah S. Ahmad
Lastly, can you elaborate on the HD Matrix lights vs your old your old A7?
Matrix lights have not yet been approved by the government for use in the US. Until that happens the lights are the same LED they have been in prior years. When the law passes, a software adjustment will turn on the matrix lights.

IMHO I find the LED headlights to be excellent and am not holding my breath for the matrix lights
Old 12-21-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really dislike tapping on glass to control things. My question is how good is the voice activation for various controls? Can every function be commanded by voice?

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions