A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A8L Transmisson ZF5HP24A rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 8
I have not asked about the milage yet, 18k miles don't seem that much and I would rather have them commit to 2 yrs without a mileage limitation, I will ask though and post back.
My mechanic says the valves are made out of aluminum and get pretty worn at 190K miles.
I remember when I was checking out whether or not to buy new, rebuilt, used, or DIY l was scared away from rebuilt because there where a lot of exclusions of what was covered even w/ a multi-year warranty. Seemed like l'd be better off just doing it myself; that's why l did.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JAA 4.2
Reverse just failed on my S8 at 155k.
What are you planning to do?
Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the great post nossisnave!
Unfortunately the transmission in my s6 has gone recently (doesn't like 1-4 gears and goes into limp mode) and I expect to find the same problem. To add to this I am in Australia where parts are hard to come by and I will be ordering them from the US and paying postage (yay..). Hopefully I can fix it myself and save money overall.
I also have read Mickey's post on another site and after reading your post I have decided to take action myself. I have had bad experience before with another car that I took to a transmission rebuilder so I am doing it myself.
The engine and transmission are already out but I have noticed that the torque converter is still attached to the flex plate of the engine once I separated the engine and transmission. This usually isnt unusual on other cars but I can not see for the life of me how I am meant to remove the torque converter. I havent been able to find much information on this but what I did find suggested it isnt bolted and it should be on the transmission...
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I start using brute force...
Cheers!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nossisnave
What are you planning to do?
01E swap.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, nice work. What did you end up paying for the car? Sucks to buy the car and than soon after replace both the engine and transmission. Hopefully, you got a great deal on the car!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you asking me? If so, the engine in mine is fine. I paid $9k and it has 152k miles on it.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 123quattro
Are you asking me? If so, the engine in mine is fine. I paid $9k and it has 152k miles on it.
My question is directed at the OP. Sorry!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sc0oT3R88
Unfortunately the transmission in my s6 has gone recently (doesn't like 1-4 gears and goes into limp mode) and I expect to find the same problem. To add to this I am in Australia where parts are hard to come by and I will be ordering them from the US and paying postage (yay..). Hopefully I can fix it myself and save money overall.
I also have read Mickey's post on another site and after reading your post I have decided to take action myself. I have had bad experience before with another car that I took to a transmission rebuilder so I am doing it myself.
The engine and transmission are already out but I have noticed that the torque converter is still attached to the flex plate of the engine once I separated the engine and transmission. This usually isnt unusual on other cars but I can not see for the life of me how I am meant to remove the torque converter. I havent been able to find much information on this but what I did find suggested it isnt bolted and it should be on the transmission...
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I start using brute force...
Cheers!
Take the starter out and you can get to the converter bolts. hopefully you didn't damage the trans oil pump.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dan87951
Wow, nice work. What did you end up paying for the car? Sucks to buy the car and than soon after replace both the engine and transmission. Hopefully, you got a great deal on the car!
Thanks. I'm not sure if $5k is a deal requiring the work that it needed, but it did build some character lol.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sc0oT3R88
Cheers!
Hey thanks Sc0oT3R, I'm indebted to these forums myself for the suff they've helped me resolve. Take your time, take a A LOT of pics and you'll do fine. Scooterfree62 is right, starter must come out, then you can access the bolts in the TC. I believe there are 3. When putting it back together ensure the TC is fully reseated at the original depth, i.e. don't crush it when tightening down the bolts. I apologize for not replying sooner, hope the project is coming along well. When the car is back on the road you'll have a feeling of overcoming a huge obstacle.