A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC blower motor

either doesn't come on at all, or when it does, it blows very soft. Is the motor itself going bad, or the resistor, or something else associated?? I pulled the blower, and it turned freely and wasn't binding or anything. I just don't know how to test it or its associated circuits. Doesn't seem to come on with the solar panel anymore either. Anyone with any experience on this?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeepzj94
either doesn't come on at all, or when it does, it blows very soft. Is the motor itself going bad, or the resistor, or something else associated?? I pulled the blower, and it turned freely and wasn't binding or anything. I just don't know how to test it or its associated circuits. Doesn't seem to come on with the solar panel anymore either. Anyone with any experience on this?
to test it you'll need the Bently service manual and/or VAG.com. here is a link from audipages on how to replace the blower motor.

blower replacement
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blower Motor

Since it's a 98, I guess it's toast. $250 will get one to your front door and the rest is up to you.

Easy to change if your tool box has the right stuff. An issue you WILL encounter involves the phillips screws (3) atop the cover along the rain header(?) I found small tool (channel lock type) is about the only method to remove the screw(s) UNLESS you find a Mac Tools small ratchet set that's about $50 (and is much easier to use than the suggested Sears tool mentioned in the link provided on another web site). The Mac tool has a finer ratchet degree wheel and less drag that the other tool BTW.

Heed routing the wiring and test along with the reassembly.

pc
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pocketchange
Since it's a 98, I guess it's toast. $250 will get one to your front door and the rest is up to you.

Easy to change if your tool box has the right stuff. An issue you WILL encounter involves the phillips screws (3) atop the cover along the rain header(?) I found small tool (channel lock type) is about the only method to remove the screw(s) UNLESS you find a Mac Tools small ratchet set that's about $50 (and is much easier to use than the suggested Sears tool mentioned in the link provided on another web site). The Mac tool has a finer ratchet degree wheel and less drag that the other tool BTW.

Heed routing the wiring and test along with the reassembly.

pc
Thank you. I was able to get it removed and took the motor apart. I cleaned and sanded the brushes as well as the commutator in the motor. Reassembled, and it's working like new again. And only at the cost of a couple cuts to my hands and fingers getting the thing out!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice fix!
Not one that's in the manual!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting you decided to not change out the blower.
I've been on the side of frugal but figured if had lasted that long without issue WTH. Good to know you got it done without too many issues.
With the price of things going up all the time, I'd have a spare ready because the blower is on its way to the graveyard.
I did the same routine you just did to mine and it lasted a short amount of time.
At least you know what you are needing to dive in again.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Nice fix!
Not one that's in the manual!
Thanks man! I always like to try and fix things first before spending money on new ones!

Originally Posted by pocketchange
Interesting you decided to not change out the blower.
I've been on the side of frugal but figured if had lasted that long without issue WTH. Good to know you got it done without too many issues.
With the price of things going up all the time, I'd have a spare ready because the blower is on its way to the graveyard.
I did the same routine you just did to mine and it lasted a short amount of time.
At least you know what you are needing to dive in again.
I almost did buy one to have on hand, but then decided it would be cheaper when the time comes to just buy new brushes to put in to the current blower motor, as that is really the only thing that is wearing out and what causes the motor to not work anymore. The commutator on mine still has a lot of life left in it, so new brushes is all it'll take. Just have to measure them then go to carbonbrush.com and find a suitable replacement!