A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should have a RNS-D unit soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Should have a RNS-D unit soon

Found somebody who took a RNS-D Nav plus unit out of their S8 along with a TV tuner and TMC. Just PayPal'd them.....so hopefully it will go smoothly, but I believe so.

I don't have nav in my car, so I think I will be able to get it to talk to the dash pretty easily....

The only thing I have in cup holder area is the menu switch.....and the only function I can see it performing is setting the date.

Everything else can be done at the cluster or other switches....unless you can set the date somewhere else. I could always turn the date off and remove the switch assembly.

When you get the IN1, IN2 and oil in the cluster on a facelift car, you still have to reset it with VAG COM don't you? It does come on in the cluster, doesn't it?

I guess time will tell that.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 01 s8 came with navigation in the trunk (10 cd's)

The menu button with the rotaty selector is the one that sets the date and time on the cluster and some other things for the trip computer speed alarms etc. I do not think you need to disconnect that. I also do not think that you would have different degree of difficulty if you had a nav unit installed already. It will be the same thing as you have posted on audipages.com. I am not familiar with RNS-d but I do not think you need the nav buttons next to the cupholder. If you had any nav buttons at that location it would be recomended that you disconnect them. As far as resetting the service interval lights you need to do that with the vag tool. The importance of the installation is to get the CAN wires and speed signal GALA wire right. On my S4 B5 the CAN wires were already behind the radio. On my S8 I had to pull new wires from behind the cluster. The Gala wire was already behind the radio on both cars. I still think that you would like the RNS-e better. Bigger screen faster unit more options Telephone, SDS, mp3 etc. The only con is that it does not show the directions on the DIS screen but that is not of a big deal. As far as about the color nobody can tell the difference. Any person that got in my car was unable to say that this is not a factory option. The fitment is match better than that of my S4. The location of the nav unit is high enough in the dashboard that does not really take your eye off the road to look at it. If I had this problem on my S4 B5 it would be somehow dangerous because the nav unit is right above the ashtray.
Good luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paul, here's what I did:

You can change the time but you do need the center control for the date change. I removed mine along with the cupholder insert.

That center compartment empty is the best "cupholder" out there. For the occassional date change, I just reconnnect it and then throw it back in a drawer.

There is a way to reset the oil/service lights on the dash but usually use vag myself. It's a combination of holding down a sequence of buttons which I forget off the top of my head.

Please take pics of the TV tuner setup, I'm starting to look around for the parts to do that myself.

Bob
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Speaking of the "cupholder joystick" thingy - mine got hokey out of nowhere - anyone...

...know of any remedy? It got real tight out of nowhere like I spilled soda in it (did NOT), and it does sorta work, sorta. I have to fight with it to get it to move the cursor, then the cursor moves back to the previous function.

Not like I use it for much of anything - but - did just replace battery and now need to set date again. Oy.

Bueller? TIA!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Scotch does as much damage as soda... Lesson:don't set your drink down after installing brake block.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

bwd'oh Jim! ***SCOTCH ABUSE!!!*** 8-)
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Elder Member

Perhaps the best Brake Block review to date :-)
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lesson 2: No matter how old you are, sippy cups are your friend.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Should have a RNS-D unit soon

You can reset it with VAG-COM but als0 by this:
Hold the milage reset, put the key it, turn it (dont start it) then hit the check button.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Lesson 2: No matter how old you are, sippy cups are your friend.

No office, that's my kid's Apple juice...

pink princess cup better still

Quick Reply: Should have a RNS-D unit soon