A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheels aren't bad looking, but for a daily driver I'm not a fan of 20s...they're generally pretty heavy.

I'm running 18x8.5 VMRs which allowed me to retain stock tires. I occasionally think that I should have gone for 19s, but on a S8, you don't want to do anything that might lower an already low ride height.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

just a brief update i was suppose to get them in last Thursday, but there was a train derailment in Albuquerque..... lucky the car my wheels were in wasn't damaged supposedly . now they are supposed to be here by end of day Tuesday..
thank you for the responses, this will be my first set of 20s, mostly am making the car my own. i will weigh the wheels when they get here and the oem when taken off, im curious what the difference will be.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TXcajunman
just a brief update i was suppose to get them in last Thursday, but there was a train derailment in Albuquerque..... lucky the car my wheels were in wasn't damaged supposedly . now they are supposed to be here by end of day Tuesday..
thank you for the responses, this will be my first set of 20s, mostly am making the car my own. i will weigh the wheels when they get here and the oem when taken off, im curious what the difference will be.
I wouldn't be as worried about the weight as I would about the ride...they're gonna ride like wood compared to 17 or 18". Plus, beware of pot holes...the same holes that would be no problem for smaller wheels (higher profile tires) can break or bend a 20"

To each their own, but not for me...WAY too low profile for comfort. Looks are meaningless to me, compared to function.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Road King
I'm running 18x8.5 VMRs which allowed me to retain stock tires. I occasionally think that I should have gone for 19s, but on a S8, you don't want to do anything that might lower an already low ride height.
Going with a larger rim with lower profile tyres results in the same rolling diameter... Doesn't change ride height.

As a consequence, the larger diameter wheel you go, the lower profile tyre you need, which effects ride quality. That's why 20's are regarded as "harsh" riding wheels on D2's.
It's a look/ride compromise, which is why I went 19's (18's give a great ride quality, but didn't do it for me looks-wise).

Stock S8 suspension is lowered compared to the A8, but it's not that low.
Gives a great ride/handling compromise though.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 10-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Stock S8 suspension is lowered compared to the A8, but it's not that low. Gives a great ride/handling compromise though.
Depends what you're comparing it to and where you drive. I havea slightly lowered WRX STi, and the S8 has problems clearing my driveway--the Subie doesn't. I think the S8's pretty slammed from the factory, I believe it's about an inch lower than than the A8.

Here in SF, where the roads are rough and potholes abound, 19s (or 20s) are just too aggressive and not worth the risk. I need as much sidewall as possible to survive the rough roads, let alone preserve the ride quality.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Depends what you're comparing it to and where you drive. I havea slightly lowered WRX STi, and the S8 has problems clearing my driveway--the Subie doesn't. I think the S8's pretty slammed from the factory, I believe it's about an inch lower than than the A8.

Here in SF, where the roads are rough and potholes abound, 19s (or 20s) are just too aggressive and not worth the risk. I need as much sidewall as possible to survive the rough roads, let alone preserve the ride quality.
Specifically, S8 is 20mm (3/4 inch +) lower than a FL A8.

Although Audi's figures don't indicate it, FL A8's are already built pretty close to the ground, compared to PFL. Yes the fender wells show some gap (not slammed by any stretch), but with a stock '01 A8, I still have to approach many driveways (business and rural) at an angle or dead slow to avoid contact...no plans of going lower where I live.

My last car was P928S4...the underside of the spoiler and belly pan were ripped to shreds when I sold it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've always had lowered cars, so I suppose the S8 spoils me a bit for ride comfort!
My A4 tries to hit everything on the road, but even that isn't as bad as my old Holden VR Berlina V8 which had 'Super Low' suspension (I don't go for the 'slammed' look, but I like the wheels to fill the guards).
Anyway, the roads in OZ aren't that flash either, and I often have to watch where/what I do.
I'll show you blokes a picture of my driveway one of these days when I can get a shot which does the steepness justice! Will put SF to shame I reckon .
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
I wouldn't be as worried about the weight as I would about the ride...they're gonna ride like wood compared to 17 or 18". Plus, beware of pot holes...the same holes that would be no problem for smaller wheels (higher profile tires) can break or bend a 20"

To each their own, but not for me...WAY too low profile for comfort. Looks are meaningless to me, compared to function.
While in theory I agree, I didn't find this to be the case when I went to 20" wheels. Perhaps it was due to tire choice. I'm running the Continental DW on a 2007 S8 rim and find ride difference negligible to my Pirelli Nero A/S on the stock 18" rim (winter set). I also have a TPMS system (Orange Electronics) that continually monitors pressure and temperature (@ cold I run 40psi front, 38psi rear). I do constantly look out for potholes though, but 95% of my driving is on the highway (a pothole there would mess up any rim ).
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Name:  20131029_103456.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  20131028_163717.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  75.0 KB
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post