A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Audi A8L D3 Front Suspension Dropping WEIRD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Audi A8L D3 Front Suspension Dropping WEIRD!!!

There is something very weird happening with my car.
I replaced the front suspension last year with re-manufactured and everything was fine until a month ago when I start noticing that front left was dropping all the way down over night.
What's weird about it is that it will not drop at all while sitting at work for 12 hours but it will drop in 6-8 hours in front of my house.
It seems that it started happening when the weather got cold.
Would temperature have something to do with it?
Also, when I try to lift it the yellow and green light start flashing and Lift and Dynamic are shaded gray (not clickable) so I have to restart the car several times to reset the system in order to be able to lift the car.
Any ideas?
If the suspension is leaking shouldn't it leak at the work parking lot?
Is there a one way check valve in the strut so once it's up it will stay up?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nothing weird about it

You have the classic symptoms of a failing strut, you may well have replaced that particular unit but from what you have said it's more than likely that that strut has failed and is dropping, cold weather is nearly always mentioned in strut failure threads so it would seem that you need to replace that strut.

But it would pay to do your due dilagence and spray the valve block, strut etc with soapy water to make sure it's not something simple like a connection or airline leaking.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by haggisuk
You have the classic symptoms of a failing strut, you may well have replaced that particular unit but from what you have said it's more than likely that that strut has failed and is dropping, cold weather is nearly always mentioned in strut failure threads so it would seem that you need to replace that strut.

But it would pay to do your due dilagence and spray the valve block, strut etc with soapy water to make sure it's not something simple like a connection or airline leaking.
Yes, I was planning on doing that either today or early next week.
I removed all lines from the block last week and vacuum tested it for leaks but it was fine.
I friend of mine totaled his A8 so I was even thinking to borrow his pump & block to see it will makes any difference.
I'll advise what i find out....
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default +1 on Strut Leak and Cold Weather

Originally Posted by jorkatabg
Yes, I was planning on doing that either today or early next week.
I removed all lines from the block last week and vacuum tested it for leaks but it was fine.
I friend of mine totaled his A8 so I was even thinking to borrow his pump & block to see it will makes any difference.
I'll advise what i find out....
Replacing compressor and valve block is waste of time and looking for additional trouble.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad front right strut and what you described is a lot like my symptoms. Using VCDS, I could see that the height was lower on the corner with the bad strut and usually a little higher on the opposite rear corner. Putting the car on ramps and using the soapy water trick confirmed the leak, with a big bubble blowing up toward the bottom of the strut assembly.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Also, try parking it up at work with jacking mode enabled. This disables the auto level and should confirm the strut leak after a few hours.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I tried the Jack mode but it still drops.
I will have to put it on Ramps and spray the Soapy water around the shock to confirm that the strut leaking.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jorkatabg
I tried the Jack mode but it still drops.
I will have to put it on Ramps g
and spray the Soapy water around the shock to confirm that the strut leaking.
Right, if there is a leak it will still drop. Presuming it's still the front left that's dropping, then that confirms it's that strut/airline where the problem lies.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

'06 A8. I'm going through the same crap right now -front passenger side. Cold weather drops over night and is stuck slammed in the am. Takes 15 minutes of driving and starting the car a few times to get it to go up. When I lock the car it auto levels and i can hear the slightest hiss from that wheel well. But is this a sensor telling it to drop? Or a leak. Couldnt find any leaks with soapy water.. Is it the relay or fuse ? The compressor still works and the car rides fine within 20 mins. F. This is very frustrating. Car is at mechanic now... Not sure whats going on yet..
Old 02-26-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB2DY4
'06 A8. I'm going through the same crap right now -front passenger side. Cold weather drops over night and is stuck slammed in the am. Takes 15 minutes of driving and starting the car a few times to get it to go up. When I lock the car it auto levels and i can hear the slightest hiss from that wheel well. But is this a sensor telling it to drop? Or a leak. Couldnt find any leaks with soapy water.. Is it the relay or fuse ? The compressor still works and the car rides fine within 20 mins. F. This is very frustrating. Car is at mechanic now... Not sure whats going on yet..
Dozens of threads on this forum regarding, explaining and describing fixes for the exact problem you mention. There is a sticky at the top of the D3 list of threads that offers readers/posters what to do.

Can't be much easier than that.

Quick Reply: 2006 Audi A8L D3 Front Suspension Dropping WEIRD!!!