A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on buying an A8L 4.2 V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on buying an A8L 4.2 V8

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy an Audi A8L in Hong Kong. I have few questions which I hope you guys can help me with.

Firstly, I am 24, working for Government (IT) and this will be my first car (Given than you dont really need a Car in Hong Kong. We have one of the best transport network in t he world) But since I can now afford one, so why not?

Coming back to the A8. There are two options available for US$9k.

Option 1

Option 2

I have posted this question in a local forum and every one of them advised against buying A8L. Also considering its repair cost will be high.

Will be using this on weekends and maybe drive to work every now and then. I have been told that I will look like a chauffeur driving A8L but I wonder how people who own one feel about it.

I simply love its simplicity and features plus its speed. I really need unbiased advise and if you think this is not a good option for me then what will you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I missed its 2008 Audi A8L
Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only acceptable way to buy A8 D3 now is if you can do your maintenance and repairs yourself and get spare parts fast and for a reasonable price (including used parts). So if you are that guy living in a such place...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you own an A8, you need to understand that although you can buy one quite cheaply, it still has the maintenance and repair cost of a top tier luxury sedan. If you're not handy yourself, I'd set aside about $4000 for repairs and maintenance for the next few years, as well as finding a good independent mechanic. You might not need that much, or you may run into needing more. If you are not handy and can't afford a sudden $2500 repair from time to time, don't buy one. Suspension is prone to strut failure(as any car with air struts is,) which can be pricey at $600 or so for a rebuilt strut plus labor. Timing belt cars will most likely need that maintenance shortly after purchase, so add another $1500 or so for that unless you get an FSI motor.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
If you own an A8, you need to understand that although you can buy one quite cheaply, it still has the maintenance and repair cost of a top tier luxury sedan. If you're not handy yourself, I'd set aside about $4000 for repairs and maintenance for the next few years, as well as finding a good independent mechanic. You might not need that much, or you may run into needing more. If you are not handy and can't afford a sudden $2500 repair from time to time, don't buy one. Suspension is prone to strut failure(as any car with air struts is,) which can be pricey at $600 or so for a rebuilt strut plus labor. Timing belt cars will most likely need that maintenance shortly after purchase, so add another $1500 or so for that unless you get an FSI motor.
This. My '06 A8L is the best car I've ever owned. I love driving it. I love sitting in it. I do not love maintaining it, as it's shocking how much it costs to keep this older vehicle on the road (this coming from a guy with two Porsche). The A8L is a complex machine that requires complex (expensive) repairs when something goes wrong. And an older A8L will have substantial repair costs. My A8L, bought at just under 120K miles and now at 150K miles has cost me around $6K in scheduled and unscheduled maintenance over the last couple of years (my indie mechanic is an expert in German cars and maintains all of mine - I'm fairly sure I've paid for at least a year of college for his sons). Its a fact of life that if you own the Audi A8 you will have expenses that are equal to the quality of the car - that is, high expenses for a high quality car. If you can afford the expenses, you'll adore the car - I do - while often wondering if you should have bought something else.

Last edited by seamore2001; 09-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When it comes to cars, they all pretty much cost the same to maintain, more or less. I was talking to a fellow today that said that the dealer quoted him $1800 for new rear brakes on his Chevy truck. He bought the parts himself and paid an indy and saved almost $1k. I think that $800 for drum brakes is insane.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rais Azad
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy an Audi A8L in Hong Kong. I have few questions which I hope you guys can help me with.

Firstly, I am 24, working for Government (IT) and this will be my first car (Given than you dont really need a Car in Hong Kong. We have one of the best transport network in t he world) But since I can now afford one, so why not?

Coming back to the A8. There are two options available for US$9k.

Option 1

Option 2

I have posted this question in a local forum and every one of them advised against buying A8L. Also considering its repair cost will be high.

Will be using this on weekends and maybe drive to work every now and then. I have been told that I will look like a chauffeur driving A8L but I wonder how people who own one feel about it.

I simply love its simplicity and features plus its speed. I really need unbiased advise and if you think this is not a good option for me then what will you recommend?

Thanks!
In a place like Hong Kong unfortunately you indeed might look like a chauffeur. But it honestly comes down to personal preference, here in Canada whenever I have two passengers I always ask them to ride in the back for their comfort and I don't feel like chauffeur in anyway. I wouldn't pay too much mind to remarks like these from others. You are driving the car for yourself and your experience, that's the priority.

Maintenance can be heavy depending on the mileage you buy the vehicle at. Just remember upper control arms have to be done around 160,000 KM's (at least that's when I did mine -.-) and asides that little things here and there will always be finicky. Weather plays a big role in these vehicles if the weather is extreme I suggest parking the A8 in a garage.

I really can't suggest any other vehicles, I've driven and been driven in the s class and the 7 series, this just comes out on top. In my opinion this A8 is a drivers vehicle, you feel the road, you feel the car hug the corners and you feel that engine propel you ahead of the crowd with the slight press of the pedal. It's a rush that takes over you, and I'm fairly certain I've never felt that in any other 4 door luxury sedan. The D3 A8 is as elegant as it is vicious, if you're looking for a sleeper vehicle (elegant to look at but filled with conquering power), this is it.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
^ This. I'm scared to say exactly how much I've put into my A8L since I bought it, but some of the things I've replaced are all of the fluids (never a bad place to start on any vehicle that's new to you), the air compressor, valve block, trunk motor, TPMS sensors, battery. And then the standard maintenance items like spark plugs, engine/cabin air filters, fuel filter, wiper blades, brake pads and rotors, and the timing/serpentine belt components. This car wasn't neglected by any means, either (though you might look at the parts list and say otherwise).

That being said, I am coming from a 2014 Taurus, and a 2012 Elantra before that. Though the technology in those cars is more advanced in some areas, the A8L is superior in every other way. I used to hate commuting to work and back each day; when I bought this car, I looked forward to it. The air suspension makes driving on these neglected roads (comparable to the surface of the moon from all of the potholes) much more pleasant, and the still turns heads wherever it goes. If you can manage and afford it, it's well worth it.