A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D3 one is lower than the other suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 D3 one is lower than the other suspension issues

My vehicle was in a front end collision and i replaced all parts including the air suspension and relay. The compressor started right up and it works great and holds the height except the passenger side is lower than the driver side so it looks like its leaning a little bit. The driver side looks like the side that's way too high. My question is, is it as simple as calibrating the suspension with VCDS via OBD to the correct height or is there another issue I should be looking for. Both sides went up so i know every wheel works but I'm worried I'll have to spend more on something else. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Sounds like calibration

Sounds like calibration given prior front end repair. If you know it is holding air, also check the height sensors and links on BOTH sides to be sure everything is seated and attached correctly. If you replaced any of those sensor related parts, also be sure you got the correct ones. After that, yes I would just recalibrate height, at least at the two front corners.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply MP4.2+6.0 much appreciated! Hope it is just the calibration and/or sensors. I know how quickly expensive air suspension repairs can be i'll post back after my attempt of clearing codes and calibrating
Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally calibrated my suspension and it worked perfectly! At first I used a knock-off ebay OBD vag-com then realized that it was no good so I got the vag-com from Ross Tech. The only problems I had was if I pressed the arrow keys instead of typing the channel number it would ask for the security code again. So, after all that I adjusted and it was perfect both sides are level now. No fault codes at all.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello all, need some help with my 05' A8L.
Some info about the car, its completely stock inside and out beside the lowering links that are installed. It was lowered about 2.5" all the way around. I have been driving the car this way for a few months with no issues. One day this last august. it was very hot outside, i parked the car in dynamic mode, went inside to eat. About 1 hour later, i returned to the car, started it. Both the amber and green lights were lit up on the dash display. The MMI shows the suspension grey and you cannot adjust it.
This makes me believe it is in limp mode of some sort. I had a friend of mine use a computer on it, forgive me i do not know the name of which. he said that the only info he could give me is that something might be wrong with the left rear sensor.
I know this is very vague without a diagnostics ran.

My question is, do you think it could possibly just need re calibrated? I do know, there is no power getting to the compressor. If you manually put power to the compressor it does kick on and build pressure, of coarse the car still will not lift.

Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The car has been parked since August due to this issue. It is all the way down and almost 2" from the ground. I cannot drive it. I appreciate the information in advance!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board! Start with the sticky tread at the top. Valuable information there. You need VCDS (VAG-COM) scan. Post it here and we can help you. Don't be too optimistic that you can fix the problem by just recalibrating the suspension.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the quick response. I've done as much reading on the suspension as i can find. Its very limited. How can i go about a Vag-Com scan? Do i just purchase the software and the cable? I'm new to the German cars. Very much love my A8. Just want to try diagnosis and fixing it without spending $2000 on parts first.

Thank you!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy it here. It will pay itself right away.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave417
Just want to try diagnosis and fixing it without spending $2000 on parts first.

Thank you!
If you can get away for under half that in parts when there is a real problem with a D3; you should be very thankful. Go ahead and price a genuine level sensor for the D3. Tiny part, big price.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems everything is good although I did notice my compressor cuts on around 20-30mph and only when i cold start it in the morning, if I stop a few times it'll cut on at least 3 times is that normal or an indicator and I have a leak somewhere? I just replaced my compressor and don't want to burn it out by overworking it. It holds the air on all 4 sides.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 D3 one is lower than the other suspension issues