A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotor and Pad Replacement A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all for the advice. I ended up just changing to EBC Redstuff pads. I am waiting till next weekend to get my VAGCOM and change the rear pads.

I'll check on the rotor thickness in about 15K miles and see how they have worn.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i paid around 1100 to get mine done and thats with me purchasing the parts. I was able to get an independent to do my fronts for like 150 but he was unable to do the back. Still haven't found an independent so i just get the rears done at the dealer.

d4 gen
Old 10-22-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

correction d3 gen
Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by greenz
i paid around 1100 to get mine done and thats with me purchasing the parts. I was able to get an independent to do my fronts for like 150 but he was unable to do the back. Still haven't found an independent so i just get the rears done at the dealer.

d4 gen
miramar audi in san diego quoted me about 1200$ for parts and labor for F and R.
There was no way I was going to do that.
I paid 140$ for pads, kept old rotors for the front.
Rear I have yet to do.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
My front rotors were replaced with the 2nd set of pad at about 140,000 miles. The rears are still onthe car with 145,000 on the rotors. I plan to replace the rear rotors and pads by the 150,000 mile mark.
You must use a parachute for braking. I've replaced mine at 70K and they where at minimum thickness. New ones (OEM) have less than 10K and lip is already visible. If I am driving as I use to they wouldn't last half that long.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I have changed the front/ rear rotors and pads on a 911, cayenne and a mb suv. Is there any reason to believe I need something more? I have the VAG tool, so I know I need to release the parking brake. Also, I have typically just used a large screwdriver to compress the pistons. I have read on here that some are not a believe of this method. I have found compression tools just too difficult to use.
Finally, the Cayenne had a special sized/design bolt to remove the rear caliper.

Thank you
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nothing special. I just think it wont work with big screwdriver. Simple carpenters clamp is better.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just did the rears at 89K miles. I replaced the stock pads with EBC RedStuff ($91.75), and rotors with BrakePerformance.com Dimpled & Slotted style ($185/pair and free shipping). The rotors came with a free set of pads, but I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or what the quality might be. So, now I have a spare set of rear pads, should I ever have a need for them.

I VAG'd to open and close the rear brakes, as normal. I had a minor difficulty when entering the new pad thickness. I was trying to just type the new number into the field, but the TEST field would not populate, which is required to get the actual test & save features active. I finally figured out that I needed to use the up & down arrows to the right of the field to populate the number for new pad thickness. Once I did that, everything went as posted in this forum, in the Bentley manual, and on the Ross-Tech site. It's just that there was never any mention (that I saw) of using the up & down arrows versus typing a number into the field. That was the only difficulty I had though.

I have about 500 miles on them now and I like the feel a bit better than stock. Granted, there isn't much to feel from the rear because they really don't do any work until the fronts have been engaged pretty heavily. It's still noticeable though. I like the additional bite the RedStuff pads offer. There is definitely less dust apparent on the wheels too, which I like.

Fronts will be due in a few thousand miles. They just weren't close enough to justify the additional expense/work at this time. So my only costs were the pads & rotors and my time. Not bad for a luxury car.

Carry on...
Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
I just did the rears at 89K miles. I replaced the stock pads with EBC RedStuff ($91.75), and rotors with BrakePerformance.com Dimpled & Slotted style ($185/pair and free shipping). The rotors came with a free set of pads, but I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or what the quality might be. So, now I have a spare set of rear pads, should I ever have

Fronts will be due in a few thousand miles. They just weren't close enough to justify the additional expense/work at this time. So my only costs were the pads & rotors and my time. Not bad for a luxury car.

Carry on...

Did the free pads from BrakePerformance.com come with sensors? Do the EBC?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2011, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Rears do not have sensors buit into the pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor and Pad Replacement A8