A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!

I ran a vag-com and it shows 2 faults in the level control...one is the steering angle thing and the other is "lower limit exceeded"???? I'm not sure where to start but the back end is still in lift mode and the front is about 2 in. from the wheel touching the wheel well. Anyone had this issue?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Probably one or both of the front height sensors have an issue. Either the linkage snapped off due to a road hazard or the sensor(s) is disconnected or defective.

Click on my name and look at "Album for Mister Bally". Photos 17-25 are of the four height sensors on the car. Someone asked for what they look like and location so I did my good deed and pulled off all four tires and snapped the photos. They may help you. The name of each photo designaates the location for a North American vehicle.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you hear your compressor working? What do you have on MMI level screen? What lights are on on the dashboard? How did that happen?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mishar
Do you hear your compressor working? What do you have on MMI level screen? What lights are on on the dashboard? How did that happen?
Yes, sorry...should have given more details. The compressor runs and seems as if it is attempting to put the suspension in what ever mode I select with a down arrow or up arrow showing on the MMI. then after 45 sec or so it just stops. All the while I have the yellow and green level warnings flashing and vag-com errors listed above. I can only get the compressors to run by clearing the codes on that controller. Could it be that all sensors are good and electrically the car sees no problems but the actual strut is leaking air or can the system detect that too? I did spray soapy water on the valve block and at the fittings on the front two struts while the compressor was running...no bubbles. Is there a way to use Vag-com to test each strut? I'm just reading all these thread about replacing struts and hoping I don't have to.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think that struts are leaking. Not that much and not both of them at the same time. It sounds more like a dying compressor.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned

I don't think that struts are leaking. Not that much and not both of them at the same time. It sounds more like a dying compressor.
I guess...I can put a pressure gauge on it maybe. It's just that it lifted the back up about a mile so I know it's got some push to it. I still feel like the vag-com should be able to get a PSI/BAR reading from the system/compressor/struts. Is any of that possible? I'm already gonna have to drive it back up on the 2x4's to get the front back on jack stands There has to be some way to check the struts out...I'm not apposed to removing them to bench test them. I'm just not sure if you can inject air into them with out them pluged into the car. Does the solenoid valve block control air in or the strut itself?

Caviot, if I did have to get them rebuilt (struts) does anyone know if it's possible to get all the o-rings, bag and what not to rebuild it ones self. I've rebuilt lots of oleo struts that cost 3 grand to have them sent out (aviation) when all they needed was new O-rings. Obviously getting ahead of myself but I was curious for the future either way....
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If the rear end is going up and down than it could be valve block.

You can pump air into struts. No need to take it out. I believe you can find o rings but not so sure about bags.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Banned

If the rear end is going up and down than it could be valve block.

You can pump air into struts. No need to take it out. I believe you can find o rings but not so sure about bags.
Cool, I have valve stems with push fittings attached so I can use a tire pump compressor to check them individually and rule out the struts. I will check the vavle block after that. I would expect a fault of some kind if the valve block was not permitting air to the front as it is a controlled component...is this not the case?

Thanks for your info so far...it helps to have a direction instead of guessing alot.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Guessing together called brain storming.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Guessing together called brain storming.
So disconnected the LH front strut from the valve block and turned the car on... air procedeth from the red port on the valve block. So the valve block was putting out pressure. Then I hooked up compressor to the line going to the strut and applied pressure. The gauge on the compressor shot up immediately to about 120psi (line filled only). Took the line loose from the strut and cut the plastic back a little as it appeared to be contacting the inside of the housing...still no air going into strut. My only relief is that I don't have a leak....yet. So why won't the air go into the strut when I'm piping it straight in from a compressor???? is there an internal valve? From what I've seen on the workshop on these struts the valve block does the regulating....?

UPDATE: Just tried the RH front strut...same thing. air will not go into the strut?????

Last edited by quiksilverly; 11-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!