A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4master1
not sure on the A8 but on the Allroad they can be install the opsite way.
is worth checking them out.
just unhooked and spun 180 out from original position and then reset the system. nothing...then I moved the sensors back to original position and the pump cuts on. So I think the sensors are working properly. Still no air from the green line (which I left unhooked to check for air.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned

So I'm down to the compressor or the valve block and I just need a bench test PSI to get that ruled out or in....still not sure how the valve block decides when to open valves or why I'm not getting air to a strut that is obviously turning the pump on and off with it's level sensor. But the fact that the controller even lets the pump try makes me think the valve block just needs more input pressure to operate.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default psi

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Master, also Master would you know about what psi the compressor should be able to build up for a quick test to check for blow by ?
system pressure varies from 7-10 bar. you ca apply 120 psi.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default block

can you read the pressure in the measuring blocks?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by s4master1
can you read the pressure in the measuring blocks?
OK, so I have a nitrogen bottle that is pressurized to 800 PSI. I hooked that up to the valve block where the inlet line from the pump goes and turned everything on. I set the bottle pressure to a steady 120-150 psi and the car came up like a champ!!!!!!! So ecstatic right now. That means that my pump is crap which I also checked and it wasn't even registering on the gauge. I suspected this might happen because out of curiosity I had unplugged the exhaust line at the pump while it was running and it was porting over air???? Anyways, this means a new pump and then I need to adjust my links so I don't get the upper limit light which I got after using the nitrogen to air up the system. I'm so close I can taste it. Would you believe I've had this car since July and never driven it????
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Default DAMM

That was the long way to finding out you need a new compressor, did somebody say to check that first Just busting

did you mean the air is coming out the compressor exhaust,is it a lot of air, could the exhaust solenoid be stuck open, as when I park mine and get out and lock it, I can hear the click and then the car lowers to level, no I don't weigh 400 pound and the car shoots up when I get out.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Banned

That was the long way to finding out you need a new compressor, did somebody say to check that first Just busting

did you mean the air is coming out the compressor exhaust,is it a lot of air, could the exhaust solenoid be stuck open, as when I park mine and get out and lock it, I can hear the click and then the car lowers to level, no I don't weigh 400 pound and the car shoots up when I get out.
LOL...yeah, I actually had the compressor pump the back of the car up at one point. I think it failed in the process from all the extra running and that I took it apart an probably damaged it in the process. I was also thinking about checking the exhaust solenoid on the compressor, but it wasn't that much air. I think the comp. just has too much wear. I felt quite a depression in the cylinder wall of the compressor and wondered how it could be efficient at that point....oh well.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Banned

I should also mention I found bad RH front strut(pressure tested on and off vehicle), no front LH line to strut, no valve block, broken front left level sensor, cut rear strut electrical lines (both), not to mention missing hardware everywhere and vertualy every plug for anything in the suspension system unplugged. This car has been along way without leaving the driveway.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Sooooo, I haven't messed with the car in a while but mostly because I thought I figured it out and then I didn't...again. I got excited about airing up my front end with a NO2 bottle and got a new pump and same old song. Front end down, rear end up....LOL, I know. Now I'm thinking that the valves in the block are sticking (why the NO2 worked...Slightly higher pressure). While being depressed and tinkering I manipulated the front level sensors to see if they would turn the pump on and off...they did, yet no air from the valve block to the front struts. I hear so many people say the solenoid valve block never goes bad...well I'm gonna give it a try, just picked one up for $250 from ebay....here we go again.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sort of skimmed through this because I had a similar issue with my back end. Shortly after getting the car, the *** end of it dropped and held no air. I never posted here about it as far as I can remember, but in my scenario, I pulled a large aluminum colored fuse from under the steering wheel column, started the car, got an error obviously, shut the car off, plugged it back in and the *** end popped right up. It was just some sort of electrical gremlin in my case. I didn't go through all of the pages, so if that doesn't match or you've already tried that, then I apologize.

I can try to dig up which fuse it was if you haven't considered or tried this.

Quick Reply: Can't get my front struts to air up!!!!!!