A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Driver door soft close

Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both driver side doors - soft close not working

I had had the same issue on my 06 SWB A8. Both driver side doors stopped self closing - pretty sure it was the same time. That makes me think it is an electric issue. I donít get any mechanical noise or motor sound. Door closes without any noise.

I checked the the fuses but didnít find anything. I am not sure if there is a relay somewhere.

Has anyone been able to find & resolve the issue where two doors stop working simultaneously?

thanks!

Originally Posted by scra8q7 View Post
First post at AudiWorld Forum, thank you all for the knowledgeable help.

I am having a similar problem on my 06 A8 SWB, but in my case the close assists on both doors on the drivers' side of the car are not working. Any ideas other than the motors? Is there a fuse for these on each side of the car?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darry_99 View Post
I had had the same issue on my 06 SWB A8. Both driver side doors stopped self closing - pretty sure it was the same time. That makes me think it is an electric issue. I don’t get any mechanical noise or motor sound. Door closes without any noise.

I checked the the fuses but didn’t find anything. I am not sure if there is a relay somewhere.

Has anyone been able to find & resolve the issue where two doors stop working simultaneously?

thanks!

FWIW, I'm not convinced it isn't just coincidence, or maybe you didn't notice one of the doors for a while. I don't really recall posts on wiring/fuse related issues around soft close. But certainly there are issues with sensors and other parts of them. Lost multiple on my D3 over 9 years and 100K miles, and many posts on the same kind of failure. If you don't hear anything, likely sensor related, so it isn't activating in the first place. If not done already, scan the car w/ VCDS or equivalent and look specifically at the doors. Each is broken out into its own module IIRC. Once or twice when mine was buggy, particularly if colder, I found if I parked it with that side in the direct sun and left it several hours, it might work briefly. Still something broken, but if any sign of life, it would eliminate any fuse type scenarios.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-01-2018 at 08:01 AM.