A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door soft close

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both driver side doors - soft close not working

I had had the same issue on my 06 SWB A8. Both driver side doors stopped self closing - pretty sure it was the same time. That makes me think it is an electric issue. I don’t get any mechanical noise or motor sound. Door closes without any noise.

I checked the the fuses but didn’t find anything. I am not sure if there is a relay somewhere.

Has anyone been able to find & resolve the issue where two doors stop working simultaneously?

thanks!

Originally Posted by scra8q7
First post at AudiWorld Forum, thank you all for the knowledgeable help.

I am having a similar problem on my 06 A8 SWB, but in my case the close assists on both doors on the drivers' side of the car are not working. Any ideas other than the motors? Is there a fuse for these on each side of the car?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by darry_99
I had had the same issue on my 06 SWB A8. Both driver side doors stopped self closing - pretty sure it was the same time. That makes me think it is an electric issue. I don’t get any mechanical noise or motor sound. Door closes without any noise.

I checked the the fuses but didn’t find anything. I am not sure if there is a relay somewhere.

Has anyone been able to find & resolve the issue where two doors stop working simultaneously?

thanks!

FWIW, I'm not convinced it isn't just coincidence, or maybe you didn't notice one of the doors for a while. I don't really recall posts on wiring/fuse related issues around soft close. But certainly there are issues with sensors and other parts of them. Lost multiple on my D3 over 9 years and 100K miles, and many posts on the same kind of failure. If you don't hear anything, likely sensor related, so it isn't activating in the first place. If not done already, scan the car w/ VCDS or equivalent and look specifically at the doors. Each is broken out into its own module IIRC. Once or twice when mine was buggy, particularly if colder, I found if I parked it with that side in the direct sun and left it several hours, it might work briefly. Still something broken, but if any sign of life, it would eliminate any fuse type scenarios.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-01-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my soft close stopped working, the motor works but the cable is sheared off and broken inside the lock actuator (I've taken it off the car and can see it would be easy to replace). Problem is, I can't for the life of me see what cable i need to order, and the second hand actuators on ebay don;t seem to be supplied with the cable. Anyone got any ideas what bowden cable i need to order?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Firstly, Let me address the alarmist reply towards the beginning of this thread that makes this job out to be some insane procedure.

If you've ever worked on an Audi door before, this is one of the easier jobs to do. The A8 door setup is dead simple in order to remove the card ( 2 screws) and EVERYTHING is nice and tidy. There isn't any plastic sheet and adhesive keeping things clean like an A6 or lower. Instead, there is a metal frame that makes everything tidy and easily replaceable.

Originally Posted by alandamore
So, my soft close stopped working, the motor works but the cable is sheared off and broken inside the lock actuator (I've taken it off the car and can see it would be easy to replace). Problem is, I can't for the life of me see what cable i need to order, and the second hand actuators on ebay don;t seem to be supplied with the cable. Anyone got any ideas what bowden cable i need to order?
To your problem, the cable is part of the door lock actuator and not part of the soft close door motor. Take a look at the parts: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

The cable with the orange sheath is the door handle cable while the other one that looks like bicycle brake cable is the one in question.

Anyone attempting to fix it should refer to this retrofit thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...stall-2854869/
Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Close

Originally Posted by scra8q7
They went out at approximately the same time, but I can't tell for sure. I cannot hear them trying to actuate at all.

Thanks.
I believe it’s an electronic issue bu pressing to hard on the outer button. Instead of a soft touch people treat it like a mechanical button pressing too hard on the button. I have two knew door latches waiting to go on but the estimate is four hours of labour on each handle. New handles come without paint and have to be colour matched with paint.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Samo7
I believe it’s an electronic issue bu pressing to hard on the outer button. Instead of a soft touch people treat it like a mechanical button pressing too hard on the button. I have two knew door latches waiting to go on but the estimate is four hours of labour on each handle. New handles come without paint and have to be colour matched with paint.

Do the faces of the handles not slide off like on an A6?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 A6 4.2 and my passenger front, outer and inner door handles nor the fob do not unlock the door. I recently removed the door lock assembly actuator and cleaned the inside contacts with electrical cleaner, then put it back, including the door panel. I think the door actuator has mechanically failed and it’s not an electrical issue, BUT I cannot now get to the lock because the panel is back on and the door will not open. Is there a way to get the door open? Like some hidden way?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The door key lock is under the handle. Just lift it up and look under it.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If exterior manual key doesn't work, can you open the other doors via the key fob or lower the windows via the key fob and reach in and open the door from the interior handle? Suspect you didn't connect the electrical connections correctly when you cleaned up the lock mechanism
Old 05-21-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
The door key lock is under the handle. Just lift it up and look under it.
I think you are referring to the drivers side outside handle (which does have a key hole), but the passenger side does not

Quick Reply: Driver door soft close