A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink woes

I've tried time and time again to get homelink to work with our garage door opener with no luck. We upgraded out gdo a couple years ago to a new Liftmaster.

Now, my 2007 A4 avant worked right off the bat with the remote. My wifes 2013 MKT works perfect. However, when I had my 2006 CTS-V, I had to get a repeater from Homelink because the system in the Cadillac was too old. I am thinking I may need to for my S8, but it's the same year as my old B7 and it worked. I also lost the transmitter for the repeater damn it.

Think I am doing something wrong, or I really do need to use the repeater? Which would mean me buyng it since they'll only ship it once for free
Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you trying to add the car's transmitter with the "push-button-on-opener-and-run-to-car" method or the 2-person "hold-down-two-buttons-on-the-master-controller" method? Only one worked on my 2004 IIRC.

Does your overhead console indicate that it learned the code? I'm sure you've already read the manual and followed procedure to clear old codes. Also I have heard the remote you're trying to learn should be held against front bumper under drivers-side(US) headlight...IIRC, can't remember source ;but bottom line is it worked for me.(garage door opener is about 9 years old I think, rolling code).

I'm about to do mine so I have the chamberlain accessory (have a couple lamps & stuff controlled by the door opener) learning sheets and the Craftsman G-door one right at hand.

Safety note: Don't forget the door is going to be going up & down while programming! I always unlatch the emergency pull-rope thing.
HTH,
-Tom

Last edited by aTOMic; 02-07-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I left my parentheses open - how embarrassing!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Just reading this and the parade of cars/remotes & maybe attempts...

another guess is you could have filled up the memory on the garage head. BTDT. It often rolls off the oldest one, but maybe not. Try wiping the memory--usually something like holding down the learn button 30 seconds or so, but it's in the manual. Then try putting in your current vehicles fresh. Start with your D3 if that is the tough one.

If you follow the Audi car manual literally as it states, it always works for me, whether Genies or previously Chamberlain/Craftsman.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-07-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If the system is rolling codes - try this -

This is how I did mine.

Hope this helps,

Louis
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default garage code

Read farther in manual on rolling code process. Need to push learn button on opener and then button in car.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1
Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts

Yes, usually rolling code; you go back and forth from head to car.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
I've tried time and time again to get homelink to work with our garage door opener with no luck. We upgraded out gdo a couple years ago to a new Liftmaster.

Now, my 2007 A4 avant worked right off the bat with the remote. My wifes 2013 MKT works perfect. However, when I had my 2006 CTS-V, I had to get a repeater from Homelink because the system in the Cadillac was too old. I am thinking I may need to for my S8, but it's the same year as my old B7 and it worked. I also lost the transmitter for the repeater damn it.

Think I am doing something wrong, or I really do need to use the repeater? Which would mean me buyng it since they'll only ship it once for free
Darren:
I have an 07 A8 and installed a newer Liftmaster door opener...I had to get the repeater in order for it to work with both my car and the wife's 08 GM vehicle. I called Liftmaster and complained because I spent all this money on their opener that was not compatible with my vehicles and they sent me the repeater free. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this write up guys, the instructions helped me complete this tonight on my new-to-me A8!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Homelink Bites

Every car I've owned,with Homelink utterly fails to connect to the garage door, until I try to follow the instructions for the fifth time and it suddenly works.

With the 2012 Audi s4 involving the front of the car, it is much different than BMW which has the homelink transmitter near the rear view mirror.

I hope I can get this working.

Quick Reply: Homelink woes