A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I might have a vac leak p2179

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I might have a vac leak p2179

O2 sensors seem to be within range so I'm not sure where the code is coming from. It's a 08 A8 4.2fsi
Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this error on my 2007 A8L for several years, and goes away most of the summer and often during the winter. This is a parametric failure giving a message of bank 2 lean off idle, that is when you are driving.
Doesn't seem to affect anything except for the CEL being on. I suspect the EGR valve not closing completely due to dirt or wear. I will eventually get a used one from ebay or somewhere and swap it out.
I also tried blowing smoke into the inlet system using a disco smoke machine but no external leaks showed themselves.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Assuming by EGR valve you mean Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. In which case the gas V8’s don’t have them. It has a Secondary Air Injection system which is different, and has specific trouble codes.

On a DI engine, lean off idle fault is often associated with coked up inlet valves, dirty injectors, or faulty high pressure fuel pumps.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The EGR Valve is...

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Assuming by EGR valve you mean Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. In which case the gas V8’s don’t have them. It has a Secondary Air Injection system which is different, and has specific trouble codes.

On a DI engine, lean off idle fault is often associated with coked up inlet valves, dirty injectors, or faulty high pressure fuel pumps.
...or in AUDI speak "bypass valve" is integrated into the oil separator. Aftermarket ones be cheap:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondary Air Injection has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
...or in AUDI speak "bypass valve" is integrated into the oil separator. Aftermarket ones be cheap:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondary Air Injection has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation.
I don’t understand what you mean. There is no exhaust gas recirculation valve (aka EGR valve), and there is no “Audi speak” for it as it’s doesn’t exist. People often mistakenly call the secondary air injection combi valves EGR valves, bit they’re wrong.

Also not sure how anyone who knows what they’re talking about would confuse the crank case breather with an EGR valve either. Again totally different system, and not “Audi speak” either.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Dave, I found this while scouring the site on my 07' Q7 4.2 demons. I am hoping you can point me in the right direction to further troubleshoot which of those issues it could be because I think this is the 'neighborhood' I need to be going through next. (IE: HPFP, injectors, inlet valves).

Short background: I systematically and routinely receive 2177, 2179, 2187, 1009 & 010B codes (lean off idle banks 1 & 2, and various MAF). I have replaced MAFs, spark plugs, coil packs, and did a smoke test last week that netted VERY little. A VERY faint amount of haze was seen (VERY faint) coming from an unknown place behind the engine against the firewall somewhere low.. we couldn't tell where it was coming from because it was so faint, but I have dismissed this from being enough to cause all the troubles I am having). This vehicle has a LIST of other issues (fault codes) too- But I will spare that detail.

Thank you in advance!
~George

Last edited by George Trudeau; 01-13-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Check to make sure the intake is properly affixed to the manifold and throttle body. I had a whole lot of codes and that's where my vacuum leak was causing all of them. It can be dislodged if working on other things in the area.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Check to make sure the intake is properly affixed to the manifold and throttle body. I had a whole lot of codes and that's where my vacuum leak was causing all of them. It can be dislodged if working on other things in the area.
I'll give it a look today. Definitely haven't been back there working on anything, and it seems next to impossible to do ANYTHING on the back of the engine on this car without removing the engine. The downside of the 4.2 in the Q7! (the 3.6 is easily accessible in this car).

Thanks Dave!