A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI - Interrmittent cut outs on radio etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
That sounds like Component Protection. Have you changed some module?
Not a thing' it just started happening one evening.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnald Duck
Not a thing' it just started happening one evening.
VCDS scan should help now.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A6

Before spending any money on this issue first check all fibre optic connections. Radio, satnav, CD changer, amp, bluetooth unit they all seamed to be connected trough one fibre optic network if one connection is loose or faulty all system wouldn't work properly. In my case the CD changer was making strange noise all lights was flashing on it and sound was cutting on and off, it was just a mater of playing with fibre optic connections on CD changer. Disconnecting and reconnecting it cured the issue, cost £0. Good luck
Old 06-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having same issue on 2016 A6. Took to dealer today and he did not find any faulty codes. Thinks there may be an issue with phone connectivity, but sound cuts happen on FM/Sirius if phone is not connected after 10-15 minutes...
Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a similar issue with my 2006 A8' the guy who sorted it got some by pass fibre leads and isolated devices on the car until the problem was tracked to the Bluetooth interface for the phone.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its fixed, bose amplifier was the issue...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fixing intermittent audio issues

I had same issues, this worked (even when MMI reset didn't)
Go to Telephone
Hit Setup button
Hit Settings
Go to Factory Settings
Reset Telephone
Confirm

You can also try resetting all in case it's something else causing it (other than liquid spills)

Good luck
Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Why do I never get the easy solutions to problems, audio cutting in and out

Originally Posted by Ray Beharry
I had same issues, this worked (even when MMI reset didn't)
Go to Telephone
Hit Setup button
Hit Settings
Go to Factory Settings
Reset Telephone
Confirm

You can also try resetting all in case it's something else causing it (other than liquid spills)

Good luck
OK, so here is my dilemma and the solution is not easy (never is for my '07 S8 65k US). I can't do the above because my entire MMI system is experiencing the audio cut out issue in all components and now all audio is out (no sound). I took it to Audi and they said it's the phone module in the optical ring chain. Issue #1 is they quoted me $1000 for new module and labor. They said they could do the work around solution with a "jumper" for $550 but it renders the phone useless. Hate to do that for resale purposes plus I like my car in pristine condition. They also said no guarantees on either option and they would have to test again to see if that worked (geez typical). Issue#2, I had also planned to install an AMI unit into the car as it does not have (I have OEM unit and OEM discs). In order to do this I have to upgrade software from my current 2740 to 4610. But can't because nothing is working (Issue #3 related to #1 and 2). So my big dilemma is I believe I need to get the phone module fixed before I can do anything. Which means I have no option but to spend $1k ugh. Is this right? But, for the money would I be better off installing a Denison 500 BT gateway since it operates with the MMI 2G system ($350 Ebay plus install)? Other Questions: is the phone module same as the BT module? I assume different. If it's not the widely reported phone module, what's next as I would be into it for $1k at that point. I have the part number for the phone module as 4E0862355/4F0910336H but I don't think that is right. Not sure what the second number is.

I have researched the forums but nothing really covers my total dilemma, parts of but everything is related decision wise for me.

Any help on what to do would be appreciated. Thanks!

doug
Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a fiber jumper here or PM me and I can provide one to you for a few dollars less. It is about 1 hours work to put it in, the BT module is under the carpet in front of the drivers seat.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What is the jumper?
Do you mean the $5 fibre optic loop ?
Buy cheap fibre optic loop.
Pull your phone box.
Put loop in then every thing else will work if no other faults.
Search eBay for the same phone box ( cheap cheap )
Or if you have fixed phone get Bluetooth box and connector and bye bye fixed phone.
No component protection on the phone units just coding

Quick Reply: MMI - Interrmittent cut outs on radio etc.