A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan Relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Relay

While putting back together the front clip, radiator and hoses, my father and I started the car once the main radiator fans, and hoses were connected. We were amazed to find the passenger radiator fan running at full speed. Even after the car and ignition was shut off it was still running at full speed until I pulled the negative terminal of the battery. After 15-30 mins the battery was reconnected and the fan stayed off until the ignition was switched on. I currently do not have access to VCDS, but my mechanic will be coming with autologic tomorrow, I just wanted to have as many opinions as possible before then. The main problem I am having currently, is finding the location of the relay for the fans, I have access to all the electrical diagrams but they aren't specific about the relay location. Also to be more specific we were repairing the oil cooler pipe and didn't mess with anything that controls the fans, the car did sit for more than 2 weeks without coolant, and the battery disconnected. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Need VCDS. I think control pack may be integral w/ fans now. Look in an EKTA parts listing to see if it is there somewhere.

Wondering about coolant sensor though; if bad likely jet engine fans. Also, if coolant bottle level sensor disconnected or bad (or bottle empty), may be same result.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Need VCDS. I think control pack may be integral w/ fans now. Look in an EKTA parts listing to see if it is there somewhere.

Wondering about coolant sensor though; if bad likely jet engine fans. Also, if coolant bottle level sensor disconnected or bad (or bottle empty), may be same result.
I will check the coolant bottle sensor, and I am working on getting the best thing close to VCDS which is autologic, which can see the same codes as VCDS. What about no coolant in the pipe of the coolant temp. sensor? I haven't heated up the engine enough to possibly open the thermostat. I just did some digging and the fan that is running at full speed is V7 which from the documentation I have states that it is controlled for the use of AC conditions, not necessarily engine temp. The engine temperature might be controlled by both however it appears to be only controlled by V177.

Last edited by jlbell; 08-20-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no relay. Fans are controlled by the module and it is integrated with the fan.

Everything has to be assembled before starting the engine or you'll get a faulty code. Now you have to clear the code in order to stop that behavior.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
There is no relay. Fans are controlled by the module and it is integrated with the fan.

Everything has to be assembled before starting the engine or you'll get a faulty code. Now you have to clear the code in order to stop that behavior.
That is what I was thinking. I will have to wait until tomorrow, as I either lost my VCDS cable or left it at my apartment 6 hours away. Also I apologize about the post if it maybe redundant, but I am sleep deprived, stressed, and start my senior year of college on Tuesday, so you can imagine how this has me on the brink of freaking out.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I have the same problem. After leavung the car to my indy for repairing the oil vooler leak, The radiator fan runs all the time until it deads the battery.
And I am getting the code 0480 004.
any ideas?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Valchev
Hi Guys, I have the same problem. After leavung the car to my indy for repairing the oil vooler leak, The radiator fan runs all the time until it deads the battery.
And I am getting the code 0480 004.
any ideas?

Any ideas guys?