A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT NO POWER

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I am not convinced it is the controller. When I would unplug mine, it would kill the screens too IIRC. But been too long to be 100% sure of my memory on that. Did kill the DVD player unit in trunk for 100% sure, since when I had trailer controller active, I had to unplug RSE controller since they would just not co exist together correctly for some reason.

Yes, the trailer controller is the same. Personal experience w/ that. Pulled off the Westfalia sticker and I found the same "C" module as in my vehicle for the RSE originally. Same exact plugs too. The wiring harness destinations are different for each, though from doing the trailer wiring install they did overlap some.
Hmm, thought I read yesterday (in this thread in fact) that screens still worked with dead controller. Maybe misread. It's time for bed so I'll reread again tomorrow.

I did pull the battery with tender in place and removed the control module to inspect. It looks brand new like pretty much everything internal in this time capsule of a car. I took it apart and no obvious signs of component or circuit failure. The part number on it is 4E0 907 383 E with date stamp of 14.02.08. I'll post photos tomorrow of controller and location as it may help some in the future.

I'm not sure it is the controller anymore either.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Hmm, thought I read yesterday (in this thread in fact) that screens still worked with dead controller. Maybe misread. It's time for bed so I'll reread again tomorrow.

I did pull the battery with tender in place and removed the control module to inspect. It looks brand new like pretty much everything internal in this time capsule of a car. I took it apart and no obvious signs of component or circuit failure. The part number on it is 4E0 907 383 E with date stamp of 14.02.08. I'll post photos tomorrow of controller and location as it may help some in the future.

I'm not sure it is the controller anymore either.
If what you pulled is directly under the battery--held in w/ 2 small bolts through the sheet metal--that is it. From 4.2 posts, something else sits there for those models, but not W12's. Box also has two harness connectors on one side, one bigger one smaller.

Returning to your earlier post, I don't see where you scanned it w/ VCDS. Have you tried that?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

If what you pulled is directly under the battery--held in w/ 2 small bolts through the sheet metal--that is it. From 4.2 posts, something else sits there for those models, but not W12's. Box also has two harness connectors on one side, one bigger one smaller.
For future reference, location of the RSE controller looking into the trunk towards battery side:

After removing the 2 small bolts and pulling the RSE controller out:

From 4.2 posts, something else sits there for those models, but not W12's.
In my 2008 W12, this was almost directly below the RSE module mounted to the floor?

Insides of the control module in case anyone is curious:

This behemoth is so heavy I thought there was something else anchoring it down before exerting enough force with my hands to budge it from its base. The trunk carpet and metal tie-down latch also get in the way of sliding it out so you have to lift the battery up and over the edges without any leverage... all hand and arm strength while bending into the trunk all off balance.

Returning to your earlier post, I don't see where you scanned it w/ VCDS. Have you tried that?
I will post a current scan later this afternoon. In previous scans there were no faults that related to a RSE controller though I'm not sure I even saw a RSE controller listed. I was focused on troubleshooting other issues.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, my RSE components are different than those previously posted in this thread:

This appears to be some sort of RSE A/V signal router that provides power to the DVD changer. I believe it routes the A/V signal to both headrest monitors and also transmits button and IR remote commands form the headrest monitors to the DVD changer. From looking at the connector pinouts printed on the side, it looks like this could do more than it does in US RSE systems which in the US D3 owner's manual are referred to as RSE low. The US manual for some reason also references RSE high which is supposed to be able to send DVD changer A/V signals to the front MMI screen in Euro spec D3s equipped with the option.

In addition to a VCDS rescan this afternoon, I will connect a home DVD player with RCA A/V out to the RSE router referenced above to see if the headrest monitors receive video.

If they do then I may have a problem with the DVD changer itself... unless the RSE router has an a problem passing power to the DVD changer.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok some good news... in my case it doesn't appear the problem is with the RSE controller under the battery nor with the RSE A/V router(?) which is what the video and audio signal goes through to get to the headrest monitors.

I hooked up a home DVD player to the RCA cables that normally connect to the car DVD changer and saw perfect video on both monitors in the headrests (though I did forget to verify audio via the headphone outputs near the rear HVAC controls... I'll follow up on this).

This means either the car DVD changer is dead or its still possible the RSE A/V router is not sending power or wake-up signal via outgoing DVD changer power cable pictures below (which since it contains six pins/wires looks like it includes button/IR signal wiring as well ).

Per the photo of the pinout table I posted before, it looks like this device routes a lot more than just A/V signal from the DVD changer to the headrest monitors. It's hard to be sure what some of the abbreviations mean but I'll bet with a third 18 pin connector this device may be able route signals to the MMI screen up front not to mention accept additional inputs and outputs besides the DVD changer (AUX in by the headphone jacks under the rear climate contorls?)... it might be the same device used in Euro RSE high installations.

Last edited by ModestW12; 08-17-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added photos.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

you have a PM waiting...
Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
you have a PM waiting...
audinut, when I tried to reply it said your PM mailbox is full. You have to delete old messages from either your inbox or your sent items to receive any more.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have made room, thanks.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello W12,
What was the outcome of the power situation ?

Also in my other thread you have me confused, but I will respond there as to keep threads clear, as to this "power" problem, I see you pretty much proved all is working except the DVD player itself, as from what I understand, you took the red, white, and yellow male end RCA's out of the Blaupunkt DVD player and inserted them into a home DVD player, and your rear screens came to life, but you did not check sound, So, did you ever pull that black plug to the left of the RCA's labeled "power supply" to check for power, also what happens when you push the power button on either screen, as I am assuming that maybe you only pressed power on the remote, please see my other thread to discuss analog VS. digital TV tuner.

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Ok some good news... in my case it doesn't appear the problem is with the RSE controller under the battery nor with the RSE A/V router(?) which is what the video and audio signal goes through to get to the headrest monitors.

I hooked up a home DVD player to the RCA cables that normally connect to the car DVD changer and saw perfect video on both monitors in the headrests (though I did forget to verify audio via the headphone outputs near the rear HVAC controls... I'll follow up on this).

Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello W12,
What was the outcome of the power situation ?

Also in my other thread you have me confused, but I will respond there as to keep threads clear, as to this "power" problem, I see you pretty much proved all is working except the DVD player itself, as from what I understand, you took the red, white, and yellow male end RCA's out of the Blaupunkt DVD player and inserted them into a home DVD player, and your rear screens came to life, but you did not check sound, So, did you ever pull that black plug to the left of the RCA's labeled "power supply" to check for power, also what happens when you push the power button on either screen, as I am assuming that maybe you only pressed power on the remote, please see my other thread to discuss analog VS. digital TV tuner.
Thanks for your reply Johnny. I don't have a multimeter at the moment but I ordered one so after it arrives I'll be able to check if the "power supply" cable is sending power. I suspect it is so likely I have a bad changer.

Both the power buttons and the remote turn either RSE monitor on and off.

I'll have time to test the headphone jack sound output this afternoon but I'm pretty sure that will be good.

I'll respond to the other thread as well.

Quick Reply: REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT NO POWER