A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sluggish Performance Solved - Replaced Intake Manifold Links

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You’re making absolutely no sense whatsoever. Lay of the drink/drugs for a while and have a word with yourself.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this!
I noticed actually this morning that one of the links were broken and right away ordered new metallic ones.

I have read the rest of the thread about lubricating the mechanism but mine felt okay,
moved with some force but not that much so i'm hoping it will all work out when i get the parts.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,
I am getting error codes for Intake Manifold Flaps Stuck Closed, on both banks. There are no broken actuator arms, and the flaps move freely, and I get NO suction on both lines going to the actuators, at low or high RPM's. The problem is, on this version of the 2009 A8L 4.2L FSI, the both vacuum lines going to the actuators dive right under the manifold, so I can't easily look for any broken lines. Another change is, the actuators are sealed plastic, the diaphragm is not visible. I can't find a detailed picture or parts diagram of where these vacuum lines are going, or the parts associated with them under the manifold.

I was wondering if some one could provide me a better parts diagram of another one Tangirz had provided 3 years ago. If it helps to have my VIN i can PM that. I'm interested in knowing what parts 6 and 7 are, and an actual picture of that part under the intake manifold would be helpful if anyone has ever pulled it apart on this engine version (which is not the same as the earlier made 2009 and everything before that... lots of posts on S8's and some pics of the 8 cal versions before 2009.)

Things I have tried: there is good suction on line 1, and going to part 5. I tried spraying starting fluid under the manifold to see if some of it would get sucked in and accelerate the engine, but that did not happen. I did use the VCDS to do the Engine- Output testing #3. When the intake flap test starts, I hear something clicking, like a solenoid, I hear a suck of air and then it peters out after 6 cycles, (both sound come from under the manifold) still with no vacuum at the actuator arm lines.

I'm wondering if there is a leak in parts 6 or 7, but i don't know what they are. I'm not sure if I am ready to pull of off the intake manifold, just to look around. Also many of these vacuum tubes are corrugated plastic for some reason, so pulling them off comes with the risk of breaking heat soaked plastic.

Advice and a better diagram would be appreciated.

Here is the diagram, and pics of my actuator arm setup on my engine, and also a pic of one of the vacuum lines diving into the abyss under the manifold... I can stick my finger in there but i can't feel where they connect to anything. Thanks.

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 10-30-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I found the part. it is a vacuum tank that sits under the intake manifold.. p/n 079131541B for A8 D3's 4.2L made after 11/2008. Attached is an actual picture. I notice the parts diagrams from Audi dealers have the part position backwards. Can't get to all of those connections with the manifold on... I have a feeling this will be another heat soaked plastic part with on top of a the engine, that disintegrates with time or any manipulations. Well, any advice on how to tackle this would be appreciated... I really hate to pull off the intake manifold... just too many brittle parts around the oil separator and coolant adapters in toward the firewall... The car actually works ok without the intake flaps working, but the check engine light probably won't let me pass emissions testing.

Last edited by Sci-fi_Wasabi; 10-31-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a guy in Kissimmee FL making a Delrin version of the links for about $45 on ebay. I got some 2 years ago and they are still good after 20K miles. factory links are brittle, cheap ABS plastic. He sells alot of them and other reverse-engineering parts the shops use and then charge the non-mechanical customer full factory complete-unit price i would guess.