A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowy roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Is 4Matic full time though? Always thought 4 Matic was at its essence a clutch based on demand system. So permanent rwd, with the front axle brought into play when slip is detected or the electronics deem it necessary. If so then as an awd system it's inferior to Quattro which is true full time awd as it has 3 diffs (100% drive goes through the center TORSEN diff) and is a heck of a lot more durable as it has no clutches to wear out or electronics to fail.

Now there are probably many different versions of awd system that come under the 4Matic brand, much like with Quattro. As the system in the G-class is totally different to that in the E-class. But at its essence I'm not sure that the version used in the sedans is permanent 3 diff awd like Quattro is. For example the new AMG 4Matic system can disconnect the front axle completely for drift mode. There's no doubt certain other advantages to a clutch based system, but they are much more complex and reliant on electronics and clutches to function, and hence more likely to fail compared to Quattro.
4Matic = Problematic (you see what I did there?)
You are right. There are different versions. One of them is almost same as Audi's. Only two differences: no Torsen (which is pretty useless without EPC anyways) and front differential is moved forward so the weight distribution is much better. But one with variable clutch engaging front drive is nicer. Better fuel economy, better handling, better braking. You can see it in house. Porsche has it. About longevity ... there is always Camry.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
I am no longer running Quattro either.... I am running Alpins PA4's and this instead.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kncxi1AolY
I really like it. Just think if owing one would be classified as midlife crises.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
You've been hoodwinked!!
Yep! But I am peeking trough this forum.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
You are right. There are different versions. One of them is almost same as Audi's. Only two differences: no Torsen (which is pretty useless without EPC anyways) and front differential is moved forward so the weight distribution is much better. But one with variable clutch engaging front drive is nicer. Better fuel economy, better handling, better braking. You can see it in house. Porsche has it. About longevity ... there is always Camry.
Used to laugh at the Porsche faux marketing on their sorta kinda AWD, though they bury that various SUV's like the Cayenne TDI are (or "were" pre TDI fiasco) actually quattro drivetrain underneath. They were really proud their clutch engaged in "only" 1/10 second. Last time I did the math, at about 600 rpm for many a tire at 60mph, hmmm 10 revs a second. Oh, that's..."only" a full revolution before it engages. All in about the same blink of eye and travel distance of a couple of yards vehicle has slipped out and headed for ditch. Or in reality ESP nanny has cut in, done performance subtract reset and it sort of moves on with a driver startle. Art in advertising lipstick. It does work for most drivers out there, including most Porsche buyers these days. Had it in my 2004...Toyota Sienna...AWD minivan too. Sorta worked there as well. Coming to modest powered longitudinal Audis via Quattro Ultra, sort of Haldex in drag even if Art's marketing flaks keep trying other spins.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-24-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torsen makes a huge difference. I can't say I'm an expert with all the others, but all the others that engage after slipping starts, that I have driven, don't compare. I'm always uneasy when I feel it break loose before engaging.
I stopped in a Licoln dealer the other night to check out the new Continental. ....Very nice car. The AWD system is like other Fords. It's only awd when needed. I didn't drive one yet. It will be interesting to see how it handles.
I've also heard that the new Q5 will drop the Torsen in favor of the "part time" system. SQ5 excluded. . Big mistake in my opinion. All to get 1mpg more.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
I am no longer running Quattro either.... I am running Alpins PA4's and this instead.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kncxi1AolY
That's essentialky a HALDEX system in reverse. It can't apportion any more than 50% of the available torque to the front axle, much like 4Matic can't either as the rear axle is always driven, regardless.

Quattro TORSEN based system can, and as its full time there is zero delay in engagement, and no need for electronics to calculate how much it needs to engage.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 12-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tjf
Torsen makes a huge difference.
Not really. Torsen transfers 2-3 times more torque to the side with grip, so if one axle has zero grip it transfers zero grip to the other, meaning that axle with no grip is spinning and one with grip is doing nothing. Only help there comes from ABS braking spinning wheals. I wonder how many rotations/yards before it engages and how subtly is that engagement.

AWD has problem with braking as it transfers torque and interferes with ABS. Things get much worst with LSD.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
That's essentialky a HALDEX system in reverse. It can't apportion any more than 50% of the available torque to the front axle, much like 4Matic can't either as the rear axle is always driven, regardless.
As far as I can see there is no middle differential, so once that clutch is fully engaged front and rear axle are locked at the same speed transferring 100% of torque to the axle that has traction.

Quattro TORSEN based system can, and as its full time there is zero delay in engagement, and no need for electronics to calculate how much it needs to engage.
As I said in my previous post, if one axle has zero traction it will spin freely and the other axle will transfer zero torque. That's Torsen. So it is all about electronics and hydraulics to stop spinning.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

My son's TT has the Haldex system. The biggest issue I see is the fact that the goop has to be replaced at 40,000 miles or else the system basically stops working and you have a FWD vehicle. He had to get towed out od a ditch when he found out he only had FWD on a glare ice dirt road. Only a 4WD tow truck could be used. Extra charge applies.

As far as the maximum 50% torque deal, it isn't too big a deal on a small vehicle like a TT or Golf. I like the system on the A8's but many have said the the original Quattro, with two manually locking differentials like I had on my '87 C3 was the best. Torsen was added in '89 I think.

That system was amazing.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
My son's TT has the Haldex system. The biggest issue I see is the fact that the goop has to be replaced at 40,000 miles or else the system basically stops working and you have a FWD vehicle. He had to get towed out od a ditch when he found out he only had FWD on a glare ice dirt road. Only a 4WD tow truck could be used. Extra charge applies.

As far as the maximum 50% torque deal, it isn't too big a deal on a small vehicle like a TT or Golf. I like the system on the A8's but many have said the the original Quattro, with two manually locking differentials like I had on my '87 C3 was the best. Torsen was added in '89 I think.

That system was amazing.
The 80's quattro systems with the mechanical locking diffs were always the best when you got into the rough stuff. They were prone to failure because owners wold keep the diffs locked on dry surfaces which would lead to premature failure. Anything with mechanical locking diffs beats anything thats computer controlled. The G-wagon has 3 mechanical diffs (unless you count the 6x6 which has more) and you can pretty much climb up a tree if you are daring enough with one of those. Even the more modern gwagons disable the ability to lock all the diffs unless in low range. (to prevent owners from doing silly things on dry surfaces)

Quick Reply: Snowy roads