A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some general questions (rain rensor, DRL, memory seats)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general questions (rain rensor, DRL, memory seats)

Hi,

2003y 4.0tdi.

Does all D3 comes with rainsensor?
I have light sensor and it works, but looks like rainsensor is missing or not working.
How could I check if the car have the sensor?
Car have coded without it, I checked and at the glass have hole for it - but I could be just glass with rainsensor hole.

I have bixenon headlight with curve lights, no LED.
Is there any option for halogen highgbeam for less power and DLR fuctions?

I have memory on/off buttons for both front doors, but only passanger door have buttons 1-4, not the driver.
Why driver have memory on/off, when no any 1-4 memory buttons?

On last thing.
Does 4.0tdi have DPF?
With hard acceleration there' s black smoke coming from exhaust, sometime so much that I could see it in mirror.
No error in the engine and car starting/driving just fine.

thanks,
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rain sensor - if you have an auto position on the wiper switch it has a rain sensor - I think it is built into the housing attached to the rear of the main rear view mirror - below that is the light sensor.

I am not sure what you are asking about the headlights - if you have bi-zenon adaptive lights then on your car you will possibly have normal 20w bulbs for the DRL's - these will be visible throught the lens and look like normal 20w flasher bulbs - they are quite large.

If your car has the seat memeory on/off switch, you should also have the four button block in the door storage bin - if it is not there then it sounds like it has been removed by a previous owner.

Your car should have two DPF's - one for each bank - they look like a small CAT in the exhaust near the manifold in the downpipe. You need to check to see if there are any codes logged - there is a DPF regeneration cycle which should run if the car is not driven for a long journeys frequently enough,. this should keep the DPF clean.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From memory, if you have keyless/fingerprint entry then there are no seat adjustment memory buttons in drivers door. Instead, it will recognise your seat position by either or both the transponder in the key case and your fingerprint. I think four different fingeprints and their seat position can be stored.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine recognizes key fobs and adjust according even without fingerprint sensor, but still has four memory buttons. It would be very inconvenient if one has to get to the fingerprint sensor in order to adjust the seat.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I had a litte vacation

Looks I don' t have rainsensor, sad.
At least I don' t have any auto function in wiper switch.

I managed to get DLR with coded VCDS, now I have option in MMI and I programmed my location to Canada.
So, now with ingnition on, foglights (witch allowed in my country) turns on.

About memory seats . . . my car came from factory with fingerprint option, but someone have changed button to regular on. I try to change it first and see how it goes.

Black smoke . . .
I done some logs.
At full throttle, turbo pressure and air meters seems OK.
But I tried EGR, like audi-portal suggest:
http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagno...u_10543.html#1

I got a bit different values, have to check.

And with turbo supposed to got:
MAF1: 630-820 mg/stroke
MAF2: 650-860 ms/stroke

I getting only about 550 mg/stroke.
Looks like I have boost leak, or EGR leak.

Does anyone have been problem with EGR or boost leak?

thanks,
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
Mine recognizes key fobs and adjust according even without fingerprint sensor, but still has four memory buttons. It would be very inconvenient if one has to get to the fingerprint sensor in order to adjust the seat.
I was going to post a question about this, as I'm still getting used to the subtle nuances of my 07 A8. I wondered if settings were dependent on key fobs...
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Ok - so I've scanned the relevant page from the owner's manual - see red arrow. If it had fingerprint previously I doubt it ever had the driver's seat memory buttons.

Marekp: Good news is they do come up on ebay from time to time and I have seen them cheaper than this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWITCH-FINGE...f758e8&vxp=mtr

Let us know how you go.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DTHREE
Ok - so I've scanned the relevant page from the owner's manual - see red arrow. If it had fingerprint previously I doubt it ever had the driver's seat memory buttons.
So I have to change my statement to: it is very inconvenient to get to the fingerprint reader before you move your seat. I can't imagine how I would do that after my wife was driving. She is 8" shorter and half of my weight. Or it works somehow differently.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep Mishar - the whole fingeprint thing was ill-conceived and is a pain in the butt. Hence it did not make an appearance on D4. In your example, your wife would have to unlock the car with her key fob and the seat would adjust accordingly. (Like you always both have your keys on you all the time...)

I was thinking - if Marekp picked up a map pocket from a car without "one-touch" it would have the memory buttons. Whether you could then wire it up to the MMI etc is another question.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The only way to wire it is actually if it is already wired, so it is just matter of those four push buttons.

Quick Reply: Some general questions (rain rensor, DRL, memory seats)