A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drains, roof leaks, water on my head

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash170
Yes, the tool we used went into the openings at the sunroof tray.
Thank you Mash. Glad you joined the forums, albeit a bit late for this model year lol. But you seem to be a valuable resource with your previous knowledge of working on these cars.

Instead of paying the dealer to do this, run to the nearest bike store and buy a longer thing of brake cable and fish that through. Should do the exact same job for under $10, then use the cable on your bike
Old 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Thank you Mash. Glad you joined the forums, albeit a bit late for this model year lol. But you seem to be a valuable resource with your previous knowledge of working on these cars.

Instead of paying the dealer to do this, run to the nearest bike store and buy a longer thing of brake cable and fish that through. Should do the exact same job for under $10, then use the cable on your bike
That could work, just be careful with how much force you use. Steal cable vs soft plastic hose, the cable will win. Maybe put one of those cable end nipples on the end to make it smoother, just make sure you crimp it well so it doesn't come off in the hose.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash170
... Don't blow the drain out with compressed air, you run the risk of blowing the line out. Vacuum might work, but I never tried it. Removing the headliner seems excessive. I was an A tech at Audi for a while and we had a special tool to clean the drains, it was pretty much a pipe cleaner on a long plastic flexible line that can be pushed through the drain kind of like a manual roto rooter...
Trombone snake. Use at your own risk on a 13-y/o car. Dealers don't give a shiite if they detach/destroy the tubes within the headliner.

The starting point for all four outlets to clean is through the sunroof correct? No other inlet to start the cleaning from.
Pull the fenderliners and start gently sucking/ weed eater-line ream from there. NIPPLES GOTTA GO!

... and buy a longer thing of brake cable and fish that through. Should do the exact same job for under $10, then use the cable on your bike
My exact thinking, worked OK on my MBs, but thin weed trimmer line is VWAG-specific, empirically speaking. with the end rounded by a Bic is better. Don't ask how I know...

If you guys had ever seen the crap they call tubing you'd never consider anything but dental floss.

Good luck
Tom