A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello Krazzz,
Are you sure it said "ignition switch", as I have never seen nor heard of that when I had my 04, nor in my 05 W12, but I have seen the "Key not in vehicle" warning, where did you get the picture you posted referencing "ignition switch" ?

Yes, I'm positive that was the message and it was identical to the one I posted. I had to search a long time to find that image but it was in a list of all the possible messages the car will display.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Louis said,
check the keyfob battery, also as Louis' link points to, do you have any wetness on or below your carpets, your KESSY/IMMO module is under the carpet on the drivers front side.
I hadn't noticed it before but I do have some wetness on the drivers side. We had some torrential rain a week or so ago and I was parked in a very steep driveway. Maybe this combination overwhelmed the drains? Is there a diagram that shows which modules are under there?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I Don't Trust AUDI Dealers Either, but

Originally Posted by krazzz
I hadn't noticed it before but I do have some wetness on the drivers side. We had some torrential rain a week or so ago and I was parked in a very steep driveway. Maybe this combination overwhelmed the drains? Is there a diagram that shows which modules are under there?
...they hold the "keys" to the kingdom when it comes to the start authorization system. Please see attached PDF for module location, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SSP 287 Electrical Components.pdf (1.54 MB, 2605 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Necromancer

Default Since The Ignition Switch Isn't Mechanically Coded...

... I see no reason why you COULDN'T replace it yourself, but then I've never done so myself:

2006 AUDI A8 4.2L V8 Ignition Starter Switch | RockAuto
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Necromancer

Default Krazzz...

...consider this...the J518 start authorization module is under the drivers side footwell and you've had water ingress...

SUPER URGENT NEED HELP!!! Ignition Key Defective A8 D3
Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
...has nothing to do with the key failing to work in the ignition. When you use your key this way, an inductive circuit in in the ignition switch excites the RFID chip in the keyfob and interrogates the key for authorization to start the car. This is a feature along with the mechanical lock under the drivers side external door handle allowing entry the car and starting when the keyfob battery is dead or the remote transmitter is broken. To test this, take the battery out of your remote and try it in the ignition!

Hate to say it, but this is a tow to the dealer situation.
Hello Scott,
Yes I know all about the glass chip in the keyfob, as that is what his Audi key has, my point was to check the KF battery as now the remote was no longer functioning for the locking or un-locking of the doors, hence my comma, then on to the info on the wetness as to Louis' link, but since you said to try it with the battery removed, which I have done and posted results on here before, I just went out and shot this picture, and here is what I get if I take the battery out of my 05 w12's key fob.....

Attached Thumbnails Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help-20171108_231021.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Necromancer

Default Do You Have an Emergency Key?

Hello Scott,
Yes I know all about the glass chip in the keyfob, as that is what his Audi key has, my point was to check the KF battery as now the remote was no longer functioning for the locking or un-locking of the doors, hence my comma, then on to the info on the wetness as to Louis' link, but since you said to try it with the battery removed, which I have done and posted results on here before, I just went out and shot this picture, and here is what I get if I take the battery out of my 05 w12's key fob.....

Does it work? If so, how can it given it has no remote nor battery?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Necromancer

This SSP covers the IMMO.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_294.pdf
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
Does it work? If so, how can it given it has no remote nor battery?
No, I do not have a emergency key, good point you make, I think I found why my one key acts that way, as previously pictured that is, they are two main keys, drivers 1 & 2, but I just double checked as I keep one in safe keeping never using it, I have push button start in my 05, if I take each battery out, neither key will start by push button, with batteries installed both work push button and in the ignition to start, but again, with both batteries removed, only one key will work in the ignition to start the engine as you described, SO, I must have a bad chip in one key, that is if the 05 key has the megamos 48 chip, which I do not believe I have in the 05 keys, I recall it being the newer at the time PCF 7946 transponder, and yes these are original factory key.

Thank you for making me look into this, wouldn't want a dead fob and no start some cold night.

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 11-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hello Krazzz,
See the link to the thread for information and pictures of the KESSY/IMMO module location, it is under the drivers side front seat, you can see the pictures I posted of Kam's vehicle showing the KESSY/IMMO module missing from his car, but you can see the harness at the area where it should be, I would lift the carpet in that area just to see how wet it is under there, if the KESSY is in fact wet, disconnect the battery and remove said KESSY, open it up and dry it out with a blow dryer, hopefully it will work after dried, if not, then a used unit of the same exact part number will be needed an also need to be programmed/cloned, more on that if it comes to that.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/a8l-3-0-no-start-issue-2928124/

/

Quick Reply: Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help