A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking inside car from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that link is based on the procedure for a D2 - there may be differences between the earlier car and the D3 so not all of it will apply. The photo shows a car with a manual gearbox so it cannot be a D3 - unless someone was in the process of a conversion job!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True - the photos in Paul W's excellent article show a D2, but our AW brother with the leak has a 2004 A8. The earlier diagram clearly shows a D3 engine bay. I'm pretty certain the plenum drains in the earlier diagram still apply to early D3 models, as well as the procedure to clear it out. These valves are essentially invisible - a poor design IMO.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What happens if you don't take care of drains

Attached is a picture of what may happen if this issue is not dealt with.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop vac

i didn't have any copper tubing laying around. so as i was in the store getting ready to purchase the tubing, i decided if the leaves can fit down the tube and have to be forced out the other end, then why cant they be sucked up the same way they went in. so i decided to pull out my shop vac and take a few pieces from my regular house vac and i crafted a small bendable hose out of the two. i got it as far as i could where the diagrams said the holes should be around and i turned on the shop vac.. when i was done and opened the shop vac there was a ton of leaves and other debris in it. since then there hasnt been any leaks. i know this isn't a permanent fix but i just brought myself a few days until next paycheck so audi can fix this problem so it wont happen again.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

The problem with just vacuuming is there may be debris in the valves and drains that needs to be forced out. Hence the pressure side of the equation. Fill the area up with water from a jug and see if it drains underneath the car - if not you still need to blow the drains out. Or have the dealer do it and ask to see proof of success before you leave the lot. Then don't park under any trees (especially pines) and you should be fine for next rainy season and high volume car washing...
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by brisweeney
It cost me €5k to get mine fixed. 1300 of that was labour alone. Both seats out, carpet out, dash out, phone module replaced, new mats then everything back in. Luckily this problem was present when I bought the car, so after some legal wrangling the dealer I got the car from paid. It's an all too common problem with the a8 as the pipes aren't on the to check list at the time of service. Always ask them to do it, and keep your sunroof and the grills below the windscreen clear of debris, especially leaves and pine needles.
hi brisweeney,
I was curious if you could provide me more information on your specific legal tack? I have just had the same issue and my car is currently at the audi dealer. I have contacted Audi of America and they indicated they are not willing to cover the damage. Both Audi of America and my dealers first suggestion was to seek a claim through my insurance as water damage. I loathe this because that is Audi passing the buck. Not to mention my insurance company was aware of this issue and said they will not cover it as it is a design flaw not flood damage.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Where exactly is the hole that gets plugged that causes this issue? Is there a certain path that should be cleaned that can prevent this in the future? Or is it just when it happens it happens?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default get creative

Originally Posted by Brozee
Where exactly is the hole that gets plugged that causes this issue? Is there a certain path that should be cleaned that can prevent this in the future? Or is it just when it happens it happens?
Every spring, I get the pleasure of dealing with this interior drip.

The [center] well crud's up with leaves/trash and the drains stop flowing.

The well is under the AC exterior blender door assembly which is the screened grill under the hood in the center of the engine bay on the firewall.

A shop wet/dry vac with a small hose adapted is a method to remove the crud from in the well.
Rinse/flood the well a number of times to insure that the leaves get loosened and vac the area until things clean up and start flowing as they should.

If it continues to drip inside, forced air will clear the drains (or should) and vac the well area until water is freely flowing (under the car) through the drains.

NOW, if things are continuing to get wet is the time to remove the interior side panels and clear the tubes (I use a short piece of nylon leader).

Also remove the pass/driver side panels (under the hood/bonnet) and vac/blow clear the drains around the strut towers.

Bottom line.. it will not hurt anything to vacuum these areas on a regular basis rather than dealing with them when your feet get wet.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should check this too once i get my car back from the shop. My baby has been at the shop since last saturday...sigh. I also noticed when there is heavy rain and if my car was outside, i get little bit of water on the driver side mat...Most likely culprit is this!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Water on the driver side mat will kill your Bluetooth module. It is just under that mat.

Quick Reply: water leaking inside car from engine bay