A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in my car... need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's for the water to come out and debris not to come in-the problem is the debris

Originally Posted by idf
Hey everyone,
I fail to understand the logic of the design of the drains under the cabin filter... they have a choke point in them... like a single leaf could clog it.

My mechanic said those drains are a problem and just removed them completely. I'd recommend others do it also... when you see the strange design you'll understand.

Anyhow, thanks for all the insight. Even if it was not a DIY, the info was very valuable.
is coming from the inside "out". Yeah, I think it's a good idea to cut the "nipples" from these drains.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I *think* these drains are actually below the air filter - is that right? I took off the plenum cover, removed the air filter cover & filter...and was able to sneak a long shop-vac extension underneath and suction out most of the debris/leaves/etc that have built up over the last 8+ years.

But I am correct about the location, is that right? Almost way down underneath the actual air filter housing?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idf
Hey guys,

We had a massive rainstorm here last week. My car has water coming in it from under the steering column onto the pedals.

I have read there is a drain where the windshield water drains into the back of the engine bay which is clogged.

I took the car to the dealer briefly and the rookie tech couldn't even find where the drain holes are to clear them.

3 problems:

- how can I unclog this?

- I still hear water sloshing in what sounds like the center console behind the dash, how do I get this out?

- how potentially harmful is this? Even the carpets in my back seat are wet.

What a stupid design flaw... I mean come on, water in a car of this standard??? I'm pretty angry about this.

Help!!
I had this happening to my MY2000 S8.
A quick fix to emptying the water is using the fan at full power and shutting off all other vents except the ones to the back seats. This blows the water out effectively (have a towel ready as your back seats get soaked). I would recommend using a dehumidifier afterwards for about 48-72 hours. You can run the electrical cord through the ski bag and to an extension cable through the boot. That way the boot lid doesn’t damage the cable.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Higgins
I had this happening to my MY2000 S8.
A quick fix to emptying the water is using the fan at full power and shutting off all other vents except the ones to the back seats. This blows the water out effectively (have a towel ready as your back seats get soaked). I would recommend using a dehumidifier afterwards for about 48-72 hours. You can run the electrical cord through the ski bag and to an extension cable through the boot. That way the boot lid doesn’t damage the cable.
Holy thread resurrection!

So sucking all the water through the fan, the entire hvac system, and then spraying it all over the backseat, which then needs a dehumidifier running inside the car for 3 days to dry it out is your idea of a quick fix? As opposed to just fixing the fault at source and spending at most 30mins unblocking the drains and draining the cowl every once in a blue moon.

I recommend rethinking your approach.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 08-04-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my car

Ouch! Well it worked for me Dave. The quick fix refers to getting the water out of the car... not the cause of the water coming in, geddit? The water was in the channel between the front seats so I reckoned that the fan (usually situated near the bulkhead) would help blow the water out without getting itself wet in the process.
My S8 has since travelled 3 years and 850000km without any electrical problems so I reckon it worked just fine.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I'll just leave this here.....