A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in my car... need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my car... need help asap

Hey guys,

We had a massive rainstorm here last week. My car has water coming in it from under the steering column onto the pedals.

I have read there is a drain where the windshield water drains into the back of the engine bay which is clogged.

I took the car to the dealer briefly and the rookie tech couldn't even find where the drain holes are to clear them.

3 problems:

- how can I unclog this?

- I still hear water sloshing in what sounds like the center console behind the dash, how do I get this out?

- how potentially harmful is this? Even the carpets in my back seat are wet.

What a stupid design flaw... I mean come on, water in a car of this standard??? I'm pretty angry about this.

Help!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Actually, sounds more like it might be heater/HVAC drains...

from description of water in center console area.

If you search on that, you should find prior posts on "how to's,"
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

The engine bay holes are under the cabin filter. It seems to be really hard to access them, but take off all the plastic covers around there and you will probably see a big bathtub! I am not sure where they come out under the car, but I tested mine by pouring water under the filter (near the aluminum cross braces) and say it coming out from under the car.

You should also check the sunroof drains. Open the sunroof and at the front on either side are drain holes.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Remove the plenum cover (two large pieces of plastic covering area between engine and windshield) and look for drains. They are at the lowest points on each side, as far as I remember close to the middle of the car. Clean the area and drains.

Once in the business clean the sunroof drains (four corners) and air conditioning drains (just next to the gas pedal and at the same place on the passenger side).

Very important is to check under the carpets. Remove the seal trims and lift the carpet on both sides. There is a bunch of electronics, starting with your Bluetooth Module. Water will damage it.

Edit: This may help a bit.

Name:  Drains_zpsee63511e.jpg
Views: 3815
Size:  43.3 KB

Last edited by mishar; 10-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Drains

Also check your sunroof drains as described here: https://forums.audiworld.com/showpost...3&postcount=10

And have a look at this thread: https://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...=sunroof+drain
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Remove the plenum cover (two large pieces of plastic covering area between engine and windshield) and look for drains. They are at the lowest points on each side, as far as I remember close to the middle of the car. Clean the area and drains.

Once in the business clean the sunroof drains (four corners) and air conditioning drains (just next to the gas pedal and at the same place on the passenger side).

Very important is to check under the carpets. Remove the seal trims and lift the carpet on both sides. There is a bunch of electronics, starting with your Bluetooth Module. Water will damage it.

Edit: This may help a bit.

Thanks everyone.

Are those little tabs (a and b) part of the cabin filter housing?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tx170754
Also check your sunroof drains as described here: https://forums.audiworld.com/showpost...3&postcount=10

And have a look at this thread: https://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...=sunroof+drain

I'm getting page not found for both. Also, is there a larger version of that image?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry, I've just realized that the links don't work.I don't have a larger photo but basically it shows the location of the drains in the wheel well
Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is UNDERNEATH the filter. Almost impossible to see. Clean these out immediately or you could be in for a very large repair bill. Also blow out the AC Evaporator drains, just pull the carpet on both sides of center console. There are really good instructions for doing this just search for Audi Evaporator Drains and Audi Cowl drains. You DO NOT HAVE TO remove glove box to get at evaporator drains. Also get a medium size jar to catch the 2-3 cups of water that may come out of your evaporator the second you disconnect the hose.

Look HERE for evaporator drains (also here)

Look HERE for the Plenum drains and how to clear

The ultimate solution is below:
Attached Images  

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 10-17-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey everyone,

Just closing the loop. I had my mechanic do the drains. It was pretty hard to get at them, so it was just easier this way.

I fail to understand the logic of the design of the drains under the cabin filter... they have a choke point in them... like a single leaf could clog it.

My mechanic said those drains are a problem and just removed them completely. I'd recommend others do it also... when you see the strange design you'll understand.

Anyhow, thanks for all the insight. Even if it was not a DIY, the info was very valuable.

Quick Reply: Water in my car... need help asap