A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 A8L MMI issues- Sound, Car Systems, Multimedia

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by diaudi13
One thing I noticed tonight that I somehow missed is why the MMI buttons are off in the center concole? When I press a single button only that button lights up which in this pic is the Media button. Normally this is all lit.
Maybe I spilled something in there!
If battery ideas go nowhere, scan will definitely help pin it down. Yes, spills took out many a D3 set of buttons. A.k.a. Pepsi or Starbucks /Syndrome. Sometimes folks are successful with spills removing the control board and cleaning with an electronics cleaner or something similar.

Given you see some button issues, also try going around each individual button and cleaning the edges. A men's shirt collar stay point is a good tool. If anything like food bits, cleaning rag threads or other stuff jams in the little space from the key to the side edge it can sort of lock up the system--again at least D3's. If any button sticks, a pointer it does need more thorough cleaning.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello All,

I finally got the issue fixed. This is the only and first thing I have not serviced the car at Audi because I couldnt justify paying $2100 for a new amp. This is the only thing I have done myself on this car ( I havent even changed a tire on it).

Here I am going outline the process of resolving the issue.

Issue: MMI not working, Nav not working, Sound not working, and most things via MMI not working.

Step 1. Checked every single fuse located behind the rear seat on the right side. All fuses were good.

Step 2. Checked the battery and charged it. System not working again.

Step 3. Ran Vag-Com VCDS via a Ross-Tech cable and found it not helpful as a result of Optical Bus Diagnostics is not supported on A8’s which means you can not diagnose the single problem you are having.

Step 4. Bought a Loop Back Connector from Amazon and took the amp off and plugged it right in and all system up and running. Here is the one I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071DNDBX1?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071DNDBX1?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Sfep 5. Started looking for an used amp on the internet and found a guy in NJ that repairs the same amp for $299.00. I sent it in for repairs and about 10 days of turnaround time I got the amp. He said that most AMPs will not need Components Protection to be taken off. However, mine had to as a result of the main chip inside the amp needing to be replaced.

Step 6. Installed the amp and went to Audi dealer and had the Components Protection removed.

Everything is working again.

Now, my piece of advice to everyone. Buy a loop back connector and keep in your trunk. Everytime you have electronics issues and if you could find its fiberoptic connection to the component you are having the issue with, just go ahead unplug the fiberoptic cable and plug in the loop back fiberoptic cable and you will know the problem such as in my case.

I wish that was the first step I had taken and wouldve had the issue resolved a long time ago.

I hope people in here find this helpfull. I couldnt find anything like this so a think it needs to be put in DIY.

Thanks to everyone for your input and with helping with the issue.

Last edited by diaudi13; 04-13-2018 at 07:45 AM.