A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 vs A6 or S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default A8 vs A6 or S6

So I asked the question on the C7 S6 board if anyone cross shopped the a6/s6 vs the a8 and as you can imagine, there were plenty of arguments for the S6. So I pose the same question for you all on the D4 forum - did you ever consider the A6 or perhaps did you trade up from a C7 or C6 and what drove that decision? As for me, I look at the cost of a 2014 A8 3.0 SWB with low miles at around $66k or so, and ask myself, why wouldn't I take that over a new A6 or S6? Quite honestly, Part of my hesitation is concern over the vibe that comes with driving the flagship vs a lesser model. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a good look at an S6 when I was making the decision (ended up with a 12 mo old D4 4.2). To my way of thinking they are both great cars but there were two key differentiators:

1) sporty handling, grunt, and torque from the S6
2) (in my mind) the better interior equipment and fit and finish of the A8

Eventually I decided that with the routes I drive most frequently, I would spend more time enjoying the interior than I would enjoying the acceleration - and it's not like the acceleration and handing on the D4 4.2 are that shabby to start with.

John
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Yeah, I saw that thread on the S6 forum. I had to laugh to myself. The cars have different missions and fill different needs, and you generally don't cross shop the "C" and "D" Audi model lines with each other. Considering the size and weight differentials between these cars, of course the A/S 6 will feel more nimble compared to an A8 (especially an A8L) or even an S8. Once you get past that, the A8 overtakes the A6 and S6 IMO. For starters, once you spend some real time behind the wheel of an A8, you get the sense that both the A8 NWB and LWB versions actually do feel like they "drive small" compared to their actual size---even the LWB. Either the 4.2 V8 (2011 & 2012) or 4.0T V8 (2013+) are very quick, and when you place the suspension and drivetrain in DYNAMIC mode, the A8 is well planted to the road at any speed and suffers quite minimally from noticeable front end body roll, and you do also get a fair level of "sports car" feel. As for the 3.0T supercharged V6 engine, it is also pretty darn fast in the D4, and for many provides sufficient power. Probably no real noticeable performance difference from the same engine in the A6.

As I've posted here many times, you really want an A8 or A8L equipped with the rear sport differential and dynamic steering---this was a standalone package in 2011 and 2012, and made part of the sports plus package from 2013 on---these components bring the A8/A8L more in line with the S6 in terms of handling, especially on twisting backroads and if you ever need to make a panic move. In combination, these two components keep the rear end planted firmly down, while also keeping the car pointed directly in line with your steering input. I've driven A8Ls with and without this option on very sharp downhill curves and the difference is like night and day---without the rear sport differential taking a sharp downhill curve at speed is outright dangerous IMO (there's just so much forced body mass to control), while taking the same maneuver with the sports diff is simply a piece of cake.

As for the comment regarding feeling harsh cabin vibration when going over severe road bumps, yeah there are some issues with pre-face lift D4s. I felt that vibration in my 2011 from time to time on crappy NYC roads, but it appears to have been resolved with the 2015 MY, as I have not felt any such harshness in my new A8L.

As for interior luxury, Audi did a pretty good job on the A6 and S6 (virtually the same interior as in the A/s7). But even when an A/S6 is equipped with the comfort seats, the A/S6 interior just pales in comparison to the A8---there is just no comparison IMO. When you're sitting in an A8 you know/feel that you're in something special. If you can get an S8, then I'd bet you'll never think twice about an S6 from the stand point of luxury and performance.

At the end of the day you need to drive everything and then decide what's best for you. I've owned/leased A6s over the years and once I took the wheel of my first A8 (2006 D3) I could never go back. My 2015 A8L is my 4th D-series Audi...I'm a lucky guy 😉

Let us know what you decide, and thanks for giving us D4 folks a chance to chime in.

Last edited by derfA8L; 01-23-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been thinking along the same lines also, I recently cancelled a 2016 S6 order and am now considering an A8L. Does anyone know if the 2016MY will be basically the same as 2015 in the USA?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Go123
I have been thinking along the same lines also, I recently cancelled a 2016 S6 order and am now considering an A8L. Does anyone know if the 2016MY will be basically the same as 2015 in the USA?
What caused you to punt on the S6?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Go123
2016 A8 should be essentially same as 2015. My understanding is that next gen D5 A8 isn't expected here in U.S. until Fall 2017 as MY 2018. It should be unveiled sometime in late 2016 with sales first in Europe by early 2017. At this point they're only at the "test mule" stage, with no actual D5 bodied cars in testing yet.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Puzz1
What caused you to punt on the S6?
I decided for more luxury and back seat room for the family. I have a 911 which I was going to trade but will probably hold on to it if I go with an A8.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tossing around similar considerations. The big knock on the S6 is the throttle lag problem. The entire point of a V8 is to enjoy an immediate, KABLOOM catapult sensation on hard acceleration. (I drove a Merc C63 for a few years and it was glorious in that regard.) According to the S6 boards and at least one magazine review, this often doesn't happen due to some sort of mysterious issue with the transmission or the software or something that no one can figure out. And so far it's unclear whether they solved it in the 2016 model year. For me that's a deal killer.

The knock on the A8 is practicality. A bigger car than the A6, but it's trunk is somehow smaller -- roughly the size of a Honda Civic's trunk, and its rear seats don't fold, so you have limited cargo capacity, which hurts its usefulness as a long distance, road trip cruiser.

I'm starting to think the A6 is the smart buy. Its supercharged V6 is plenty fast (so is the TDI -- I have one in my current Q5 and it's a SUPERB engine), and now that you can get the A8 seats, the only key demerit vis a vis the A8 and S6 is the lack of air suspension. But I've heard few complaints about ride quality from A6 owners, so I don't think it's a meaningful problem.

The A8's strongest point remains its glorious cabin, which is super comfortable without being as ostentatious and gaudy as something like an S class. Plus you can get good deals on two year old models. That pint-sized trunk though. . .

Anyway, my two cents. The good news is you can't go wrong with any of them. Best of luck.

Last edited by Pratfall; 01-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A8 and S6 come with the same V8 TFSI engine.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pratfall
The big knock on the S6 is the throttle lag problem. The entire point of a V8 is to enjoy an immediate, KABLOOM catapult sensation on hard acceleration. According to the S6 boards and at least one magazine review, this often doesn't happen due to some sort of mysterious issue with the transmission or the software or something that no one can figure out. And so far it's unclear whether they solved it in the 2016 model year.
It is my observation that most dual clutch transmissions have some lag or delay. Even in my 911 the PDK has the same issues, I have just learned to work the throttle to suit the car. But I really don't want this on my next ~100K+ car.

Quick Reply: A8 vs A6 or S6