A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an A8L Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I test drove a 2015 cpo Mercedes s550 and while it is very comfortable in the cabin, the ride and performance was no where near as good as the Audi. The Audi handles and performs way better, much more of a drivers car if that’s important to you. The Mercedes had a very floaty ride even in the dynamic setting. But I could see how the nature of the warranty could be very important. I don’t seem to remember an unlimited mileage warranty on the cpo I test drove. Personally, I would go for the v8, it’s a beast and would provide far more thrills, especially if your not paying for gas, even if you did not sure the difference would mean that much. I would be more comfortable with the v8 for longer term reliability for hauling around a vehicle that heavy. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input all! I may get an Audi just for the incredible community!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are driving a lot for work, this may not be a good car unless you are making very good coin. Everything in maintenance is more. Tires are $300+ each installed, brake job is about $1700 for all 4, oil changes are expensive, and so on. 50k miles a year, I would expect 1 set of tires, front brakes, and 7 oil changes, easily $3000 spent. The air suspension seems to start having issues around 120kmi. If you buy used with 40kmiles, in year 2 you will have suspension costs of $2k or more. I am not sure of the schedule of the maintenance for timing belts and such, so you may want to check the cost and mileage required. The A8 is build as a fleet car as more than 1/2 are sold for executive car services. You can expect with good maintenance, decent reliablity, the car will hold up well for the materials, like seats and finishes.

You likely could do better cost wise with a used Chevy Impala, Genesis, or Buick LaCrosse that is very comfortable and will cost less to maintain. These can be had for less than $20k. They do not have massaging seats though, but are all comfortable for the road. I have rented all 3 of these and found them to be good road trippers.

You could also consider a EQQUS. These in the DC area are going for $27k for a 2014. I do not know the maintenance, but the lower entry cost could make up for the maintenance.

My 2 cents worth that is the A8 will make you look good and feel good, but at a significant price. (Maintenance+depreciation = $$ after 2 years and 100k miles)

BB
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live in NYC, the Caddie Book program may be a good one to investigate. I think it is like $1500 a month and unlimited miles.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default you've got mail

Originally Posted by CandyGram4Mongo
Thanks for the input all! I may get an Audi just for the incredible community!
I just sent you a PM
Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Although the maintenance cost is not cheap the prices quoted above are high if you are doing some of the work yourself. If not, buying the parts and paying for labor only at an independent shop saves a ton. Audi dealer prices are quite high vs this method. Also, if you elect for the 3.0 model your oil change and brake cost go down even more. For instance, the rotors and pads for my rear from RockAuto was less then $150 shipped. Front, no choice but oem rotors but on mine they are about $200 each. My oil change is around $70 in parts and I get to choose my own oil which is nice. Anyway, it is possible to save a good amount on maintenance if you are not just dropping it off at the dealer and especially if you wrench a little. Oil change on the 3.0 is about as easy as it gets especially with an extractor.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 11-11-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyGram4Mongo
Hello. I've been reading these forums for quite some time and am now ready to ask a question!

I really want an A8L (2013-2015) but I drive a lot for work. Gas is paid for, but I put lots of miles on a car. I had a couple of my last cars to 200k+ miles.

Realistically, can I expect an A8 to last that long? Or am I looking at constant maintenance?

I spend a lot (LOTS) of time in the car, driving 1000-1200 miles a week, so I'd like something that I'm comfortable in.

But I don't want $1000s of dollars of upkeep on the car.

Is a used A8 right for me?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Brian,
You sound very close to the program I'm on at work. Go get a nice Lexus! Audi has way too many problems to deal with once you get some miles on them. I'm telling you to steer clear, you will not be happy one out of warranty or every time it needs to go to the dealer. I have 110,000 miles on mine and am looking at trading for a Lexus, but of course the A8 is worth nothing on trade. Audi A8 is a big luxury vehicle that breaks often and requires a lot of parts and labor. I'm able to do a lot of repairs myself but it gets old. If you can't perform them yourself you'll need lots of $$$ for repairs. I have a love hate relationship with my 8. Mostly I hate premature worn out suspension parts and ill handling when they wear, direct injection issues like carboned up intake ports and valves and power reduction, shaking galore when tires get a bit out of balance or out of round, wondering what is going to break next. I've had a host of breakage like window shades, speakers blowing on B&O high dollar sound system, MMI lift breakage, oil seperator, suspension bushings every 40-50 thousand miles or so and on and on. Downright stupid stuff that is poorly engineered IMO. No more Audi's for me or my family. Keep clear if you want reliability. Its a beautiful vehicle, but you've been warned.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got my CPO with 54k and have put on 18k miles in 10 months on terrible NYC / NJ roads. The only part that has failed is one engine mount. This idea that the grass is so much greener on the other side is not the case. Yes, the 460 is easier to work on and cheaper to repair but it is also plagued with upper and lower control arm issues and it is has 4 arms per tire, air shocks fail earlier then the A8, in car electrical issues, and other things. Check out Club Lexus. They are great cars don't get me wrong I have loved my Lexus cars but the 460 is not as reliable as many think.
​​

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 11-12-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm looking at the GS350 F Sport. I would imagine it is quite a bit more reliable than a 460?

I don't think I want a large car anymore, I like the size of my wife's A6 much better than my A8 and have to think any Japan build is going to be more reliable than the German vehicles. I'm thinking Lexus or Acura for my next vehicle. Well then I have my Chevy truck that I love too. Even it is far better than these Audi's are.